Varly - Non Grey

MP_the4pack

My niece adopted a young choc lab mix 8 months ago. She showed me videos of him playing non stop. This was the first dog that was hers and not the family pet. (she grew up with a yellow lab)

This is what she wrote:

Yea, really rough couple of weeks. His food aggression (which I knew about when I got him) was worsening into outright unpredictable aggression. I spent the last two weeks staying home from work, working on his issues, working with a trainer who specializes in behavior issue dogs, and exploring all of my options with him. He only got worse, and after a lot of soul searching and consultations with various trainers who specialize in behavior issues (including the woman at the xxxxxxx Humane Society who worked with him there), I decided my only option was unfortunately to have him euthanized. It was the worst, most painful decision I've ever had to make, but I believe ultimately it was the best one for both myself and him. He had some serious issues, and no shelter would have taken him (or those that would have taken him would have eventually euthanized him after performing behavior assessments on him). After talking with all of the different trainers I had to accept that they were not issues we could have trained out of him, but instead were indicative of something wrong with him mentally. And the aggression was only getting worse...seemingly unprovoked and even towards me. So on Tuesday I hired a vet to come to our house and euthanize him, after a full day of playing fetch and running and playing in the creek behind our house. Pretty much one of the worst things I've ever had to go through, but I know it was ultimately the right decision. The trainer at the xxxxxxx Humane Society told me that had she had any incline of his issues back in January, they likely would have euthanized him back then (she felt terrible that she had missed this and put me through all of this with him). So I'm comforted at least that I was able to give him an extra 8 months of what could very easily be described as the greatest life ever for a dog (I mean...8 hours a day, 5-6 days a week outside playing on the bank of a river? not too shabby for Varly).

Anyway, yea, so that was rough. Definitely put a damper on Thanksgiving.

I feel so bad for her. This is a horrible first experience being a dog owner.

RIP Varly, I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. :weep

How sad :bighug I once had a cat like that, unpredictably aggressive, and just got worse as he matured. One vet said he was just "wired wrong". Obviously animals don't have the same mental illness as people, but they can have chemical imbalances in their brain, like people. Rare, but when it happens, there is nothing you can do.

f_yellow

That is hard.

Hugs to your niece.

Godspeed, Varly.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My condolences to your niece. My first pet (a cat) as an adult had a terminal illness that finally settled in her brain and she developed the same symptoms. Very tough decision to have to make. RIP, Varly.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest jettcricket

So sad....my niece, many years ago, had a chocolate lab with the same type of aggression issues. They too had taken Jake to their vet to be PTS. Sometimes there are things that are just out of our control no matter how hard we try. :(

My heart goes out to them....

flowers_red.gifHow awful that your niece had to make such a heart wrenching decision. grouphug.gif to your niece.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Totally heartbreaking. I am so sorry.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest beezelbarb

What horrible choices we have sometimes. I'm sure your niece made the best decision she could. Please convey my condolences for her loss of Varly.