Sardines

RobinM

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering since it is a white fish, maybe Beau can try it. :huh

FWIW I wouldn't consider sardines a white fish. If you want to try it on Beau I'd go slow with very small amounts, just in case.

Guest kelli123

I don't even watch my own diet like some of you do for your dogs..

I need you all to cook and feed me and i would be eating and exercising and i would be living perfect :lol:lol

Mine eat them in all the different types of oil or even mustard sauce or water . I buy what i like . They also like raw salmon in a can ... I don't get that picky on what they get; :lol:lol

DH brought home several cans of on sale sardines. In water, no salt added. Ollie, Teddy (raw fed) AND Chloe (kibble fed) LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED it!!! Finished the can in a nano second.

Sardines are not white fish, they are oily fish. Known by some as 'blue' fish because of the colour and type of their skin (so I'm told), they're one of the few fish I can eat, because I'm deathly allergic to white fish.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

DH brought home several cans of on sale sardines. In water, no salt added. Ollie, Teddy (raw fed) AND Chloe (kibble fed) LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED it!!! Finished the can in a nano second.

Sardines are not white fish, they are oily fish. Known by some as 'blue' fish because of the colour and type of their skin (so I'm told), they're one of the few fish I can eat, because I'm deathly allergic to white fish.

Thank you. Glad to find this out sooner, rather than later. I will let DH know it is NOT a white fish. Sorry Beau Beau...

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

They may not actually even be sardines: sardines "Sardine is a word that can mean different fish. Sometimes it is used to mean a young Pilchard; sometimes what is labelled as a Sardine may actually be a Sprat or a Herring."

(Copyright 2010 Practically Edible. All rights reserved and enforced.) Read more of this snippet here : http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/pages/sardines#ixzz1624ZO05s

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

They may not actually even be sardines: sardines "Sardine is a word that can mean different fish. Sometimes it is used to mean a young Pilchard; sometimes what is labelled as a Sardine may actually be a Sprat or a Herring."

True here, too, however, anything labelled as a sardine here is an oily (and 'blue') fish. I read the labels though. Sometimes they are sprats, or young herrings, but that's OK because I can eat those, too! Sild are usually labelled as sild.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

• 4 weeks later...

I stay away from the oil (usually a plant based oil, so high in Omega 6s and primed to promote tissue/joint inflammation), and mustard, and tomato (not because of the nightshade issue, but because of some of the seasonings in it), and stick to the water/spring water, which I drain anyway.

Agreed with Jennifer here.

Also with the tomato based ones. I can tell you that in racing kennels tomato based products (tomato juice, V8, puree and things of the sort) are given to the hounds to help "draw them up"

I don't know the exact ins and outs of it all but something along the lines of a PH balance. Cuts the fat levels or some such. Now this could be an old wives tale but just passing along the info I have heard in the kennel biz for years.

I would think as long as it's given in smaller amounts and not daily it should be fine. If handing it out daily in their food I would chose to go the more natural route of packed in water.

You can laugh at me :) ... "Draw them up"... is that old dog-man speak for "get thinner"?

BTW - I know you're NOT an old dog-man. :P

He's an active dog, not a Victoria's Secret model!

:lol Love it! That phrase just made me laugh out loud. Vicky's Secret has been advertising their undies fashion show on TV - Mental pic of bored greyhound with big honking Vickie's Secret WINGS strapped on! :lol:lol

I feed the ones in oil or water. Mustard grosses me out, and I assumed the tomato ones had spices that would cause gas - and lord knows we don't need to add to that! :blink:

I only feed them about once per week, so not a biggie either way.

I DID assume though that the "oil" was fish oil - shame on me for assuming! I'll probably buy the water kind now that I know, but I'm pretty sure the oil is ok too for occasional feeders like me.

I've never met a dog that didn't adore sardines - or Jack Mack for that matter. But, sigh, no more Jack Mack here. DH DETESTS fish - and SWEARS he can smell Jack Mack in the house, and on the dogs for days! :eek:lol ......(Shhhh :blush .... they still get it outside, in the summer, once in a while ;) )What he can't smell won't hurt him! :P

Opie gets sardines almost every day with his breakfast - sometimes in oil, or water. But he only gets like a piece - a tin of sardines lasts about 5 days. His current favorite is the smoked ones. I will have to try the tomato sauce ones. Can't imagine that he won't like it.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

I stay away from the oil (usually a plant based oil, so high in Omega 6s and primed to promote tissue/joint inflammation), and mustard, and tomato (not because of the nightshade issue, but because of some of the seasonings in it), and stick to the water/spring water, which I drain anyway.

Agreed with Jennifer here.

Also with the tomato based ones. I can tell you that in racing kennels tomato based products (tomato juice, V8, puree and things of the sort) are given to the hounds to help "draw them up"

I don't know the exact ins and outs of it all but something along the lines of a PH balance. Cuts the fat levels or some such. Now this could be an old wives tale but just passing along the info I have heard in the kennel biz for years.

I would think as long as it's given in smaller amounts and not daily it should be fine. If handing it out daily in their food I would chose to go the more natural route of packed in water.

What does "draw them up mean"?

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Bella was sent some sardines from her secret santas. I can't stand the smell (can't eat cooked tuna, canned or other, for the same reason) so she got all 3 in the tin one night. She loved, loved, LOVED them - so much so that I got a kiss after dinner and she's not a kissy girl. As I do open them, though, she'll get the whole tin since I wouldn't be able to deal with the smell of the open container in the fridge. Yes, I could put them in tupperware but not going to.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Guest Swifthounds

I've never met a dog that didn't adore sardines - or Jack Mack for that matter. But, sigh, no more Jack Mack here. DH DETESTS fish - and SWEARS he can smell Jack Mack in the house, and on the dogs for days! :eek:lol ......(Shhhh :blush .... they still get it outside, in the summer, once in a while ;) )What he can't smell won't hurt him! :P

Someone here doesn't like the smell of the tinned salmon, mackerel, or sardines. I feed them occasionally for variety and also for the omega 3s. They're also good to have on hand as a quick meal in case I forget to defrost something for dinner (they're on PMR). There was a complaint last winter when I fed the fish indoors on one of those praticularly nasty/snowy days last winter. The next time I fed fish, I did it when no one was home and someone had the misguided notion to complain they could still smell the fish later (even though I wash all the fish cans with soapy water before placing in the recycling). I said there are 2 choices: 1. I feed when you're not here and you deal with any lingering smells or 2. I can feed when you're home and you'll get the full fish experience. Your choice. Eh, if it was something a human needed that made the dogs a bit uncomfortable, I'd tell them to suck it up too.

Guest mom2hounds

I never thought to give them sardines until I saw this thread. I bought the ones in water with no added salt. The dogs loved them. As soon as they got a whiff of that stinky fish, they were dancing around the kitchen. Their dishes barely touched the floor before the sardines were gone.

I've given sardines to Summit as an occassional treat and he LOVES them. However, I always get the plain ones in water because too much oil could cause pancreatitis. I also only give them occassionally as a lot of fish (sardines and herring included) can predispose to stones. But then again, so do cheese and yogurt and lots of other things that many people give dogs. Summit gets lots of cheese and yogurt as treats for his kong so I don't worry too much about the sardines either (except the oil factor). The stone issue is more a consideration for dogs like Schnauzers and others that are prone to stones to begin with. But it's something to think about, and if your dog has had stones or has crystals in his urine I would avoid them.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

• 2 months later...
Guest Profgumby

I posted about this elsewhere...

When I am cooking something with anchovies, or if I am eating a tin of kippered herring (I love the stuff!) the girls are glued to me. Neither dog really begs or gives me a hassle about human food. Normally they stay back and go lie down when I say "NO"...but not with the fish!

I have never given them either of the two tinned fishes as I was also very concerned about the salt and the soybean oil.

I think I might pick up a tin of the sardines in water and next time I am noshing on fish the girls can too!And if you do not want to "stink up" the fridge, put the open tin inside a ziploc bag, the kind with the double zipper. If this does not cut the smell enough put the bag inside another bag and put an open box of baking soda in the fridge...

Oh and a tip for the smell in the house, tell the complainer you don't smell a thing!

Ours get sardines (a tin split between the three of them) in olive oil, once a week. They have officially been dubbed Stinky Fish Saturdays and the pack comes looking for me Saturday AM if I happen to forget!

Pretty much this here, but my guys like the ones in tomato sauce best. I honestly have to lock myself in the bedroom to eat a tuna sandwich.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Ours get sardines (a tin split between the three of them) in olive oil, once a week. They have officially been dubbed Stinky Fish Saturdays and the pack comes looking for me Saturday AM if I happen to forget!

Pretty much this here, but my guys like the ones in tomato sauce best. I honestly have to lock myself in the bedroom to eat a tuna sandwich.

:lol

It is "Sardine Saturday" here every week, with the occasional Sardine Wednesday. In EVOO or tomato sauce, one can shared between all the campers.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Profgumby

Sardine Saturday....I love it!

I picked up a tin of the no salt added, packed in water stinkfish..I will give the girls each one on their food bowl tonight and see what ensues.

DH (aka Stinky fish hater) was rummaging in the cupboard the other night, ran across a tin of sardines and said "this has been in here forever - give it to Diana and get rid of it".... um.... not the same tin, he saw last week, or the week before, little does he know B) . But anyway, I said OK, and the next evening we were going to leave the house, so I gave it to Diana on her dinner - with him there (which I never do).

She obligingly slurped down fish and food - walked up to seated DH - and BURPED IN HIS FACE! :lol:eek:lol

He about DIED!!!! It was AWESOME!!! :P:lol

Diana was VERY HAPPY! :P

I don't think he'll "complain" about tins of sardines lingering in the cupboard any more. ;)