Kibbel&bits

Guest shortGHgal

Guest shortGHgal

I currently feed my dog becca Ol' roy skin&coat she likes it alright I guess. I am thinking of kibble & bit food because she really liked that. Shes a Terrier mix. We also have a chihuahua named Ella. They eat once maybe twice a day I put about a cup of food a day in their bowl. But will a greyhound need much more then a cup a day....is wholesome medly by kibble & bits an ok food for them? I am brand new to this breed so need the advice.....thanks

Amber from Arkansas

I'd say no the the Kibble & Bits and no to Old Roy.

IAMS, in the green bag, small size kibble, works well for all my dogs in maintaining a good weight and coat. It's also reasonably priced. It's not considered a high-end food but anytime I tried one of those, all my dogs got diarrhea.

Editing to add quantity:

My 2 greys and one mutt weigh 70, 74 and 82 lbs. They get 1 1/4 cups twice a day.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Ohh, this should be an interesting thread!

I would not feed my dog either of those foods.

Better quality food for MOST dogs equals less output! And pound for pound, they don't cost THAT much more because generally you use less of it.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Swifthounds

:blink: This should be good.

Generally, better food in = less output. Different foods agree with different dogs. As a starting point, I would find out what the particular greyhound you'll be getting has been eating, and if he/she is doing well on it.

I'll just put it out there that just about everyone out there is feeding something someone else wouldn't deign to feed their hounds. :rolleyes:

I want some of tbhounds popcorn! :lol

I wouldn't feed those brands, either, greyhounds or not. But I also don't think it's mandatory to feed your dogs the most expensive top-of-the-line kibble that you can find. Summer gets a more premium kibble because she won't tolerate the grains and thus the kibble costs more. I also, personally, like the fact that I can pronounce and recognize a lot of the ingredients in the "better" kibbles. But that being said, if she liked to eat, say, Iams or Eukanuba or Science Diet or whatever... and she did well on it, with nice poops and a glossy lush coat... then that is what I'd buy for her.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Greyhounds really should have a food with more easily digestible protein than in Ol' Roy or Kibbles 'n' Bits.

IAMS, in the green bag, small size kibble, works well for all my dogs in maintaining a good weight and coat. It's also reasonably priced.

Some widely available, not too expensive foods that many greyhounds do well on include the IAMS mentioned above, Kirkland or Diamond Lamb and Rice or Chicken and Rice, Purina ONE, Purina ProPlan, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, Taste of the Wild.

When I've fed the IAMS green bag, my 70-80 lb greyhounds have eaten 3-4 cups per day, 50-60 lb greyhounds 2.5-3 cups. You might feed a bit more of some of the others (such as Chicken Soup) due to calorie variation.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Yep... good thread!

To ME, your dogs are what you feed them, and their health shows this as well. I have a friend with two 13.5 yr old girls, with few health problems, and she does feed, and has always fed, high end food.

I won't even buy mine Milkbone, so needless to say, my opinions of Ole Roy and Kibbles N Bits are not good ones :-( I, personally, feed only A+grade food.

Now, there is a WONDERFUL food, reasonably priced, called Kirkland. You get it at Costco, and not ONLY it is reasonably priced, BUT, it is extremely high quality food! IF I had a Costco anywhere near me, this is what I would feed, but, alas, I don't.

Rather than feed any of your pups "junky" food, why not try the Kirkland? I have also heard PetSmart's Authority brand food is an "ok," food as well. Good luck with your new Grey, and your other babies, too!

Edited by Energy11

I wouldn't feed either of those kibbles... Maybe check out the costco brand food? natural balance? taste of the wild? pro plan? Pretty much anything is better than ol Roy and kibbles n bits. LOL but the type if food that your hound will do well on will vary with each dog. I would ask what they are feeding them while on foster care to point you in the right direction. Hounds eat anywhere from 2-3 cups a day of the really premium expensive kibble but I've heard of them eating 6-7 cups of the crappy lower grade kibble.

------

Jessica

feeding Ol Roy is about the equivalent of feeding your dogs a diet of ground up corn cobs. Feeding Kibbles and Bits is like feeding Ol Roy with some syrup poured on top to make taste good. I try to feed better quality than that.

However I know folks who feed these foods to their hounds and they seem to be happy and healthy just the same.

You won't find many (any?) that will suggest either Ol'Roy or Kibbles & Bits.

But, feed what you can afford and what works for your dog. Not everybody can afford to feed a higher end food. Not every dog does well on a higher end food.

The best food for your dog is what you can afford and what they do well on. It may not be what is best for the next person.

As to how much. I have a 12 year old 47 pound greyhound who eats, well, this week she's eating 2.5+ cups a day and other weeks she only eats 2 cups a day. That's a higher quality food and a higher calorie food for active dogs.

Tavarish, the 80 pound go go go go doberman eats 2.5 cups of the same food a day.

I'd expect a greyhound to be eating more than a cup a day.

Okay, I am seeing a lot of people stating that they would not feed these foods, but I do not see anyone providing reasons why not.

Here are my reasons: Ol' Roy and Kibbles and Bits (and other foods like them) are cheap because they use many, many fillers, and poor quality ingredients. Fillers include anything your dog can't digest. Poor quality ingredients include non-human grade meats, unidentified meats (they can vary significantly from batch to batch, so you never know for sure what you are feeding your dog), flavor enhancers (sugars and corn syrup), and artificial ingredients.

For example, Kibbles and Bits contains artificial colors. Why? Dogs don't see color well, if at all, so they don't care. Why does it need to be there, then? Artificial preservatives like ethoxiquin and BHT have been linked anectotally to cancers in dogs. And they are not necessary.

This website: The Dog Food Project provides more information than I have, but expounds upon what I have begun to describe. It also tells you what you SHOULD look for.

And to feed a high quality food does not need to be expensive. I pay about $25 for a 40# bag of food. This may seem expensive, compared to Ol' Roy, but I feed less of the good stuff than I would of Ol' Roy, because there are fewer fillers, so my dogs are getting more nutrition out of less food.

And about a Greyhound eating a cup a day: I highly doubt you can get away with that little. Larger dogs eat more food. Even my slightly overweight 9 year old Borzoi girl (about the size of the average Greyhound male) eats about 2 cups a day, which is not as much as I would give an active, young to middle age Greyhound of appropriate weight. My old Greyhound girl gets about 4 cups a day, because even at her age (almost 11), she is still quite active, and at an appropriate weight.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest Swifthounds

You won't find many (any?) that will suggest either Ol'Roy or Kibbles & Bits.

But, feed what you can afford and what works for your dog. Not everybody can afford to feed a higher end food. Not every dog does well on a higher end food.

:nod And too often higher end translates into higher price alone. Even worse, some of the pricey foods are pricier because they use more expensive fillers, rather than more meat. :huh

I obviously don't feed kibble any longer, so I can't help with the "how much" other than to say that it will vary based on age, energy level, amount of exercise, and fitness. Body size factors in, but not as much as you think. My small girls eat a larger proportion than my larger boys. Most hounds on most foods, if kept at a fit weight would be in the range of 2-4 cups of kibble per day.

Oh, and I should mention, too... Asking your vet is not usually a good idea. Vets are usually likely to suggest what they sell, and that does not always mean good. Many vets, for example feed Hill's brand, AKA Science Diet. I have seen worse, but Hill's is not among the best.

And, as already mentioned, simply buying the most expensive food you can find does not always mean you will have quality. Many higher priced foods are highly priced simply because they spend a LOT of money advertising, which means they have to make that back somehow! Think about how often you see Eukanuba, Pedigree, Iams, Science Diet and others advertised. This does not mean they are high quality. It only means they are household names, and spend a lot of money staying that way.

Edited to add: About vets: Most are not nutritionists, and have little education in canine (or feline, for that matter) nutrition. This means they are not necessarily your best guides in finding the rights food for your dog(s).

In addition, and on a different note, it may take trial-and-error to find the right food for your dog(s). What looks great on paper may not be something your dog tolerates well. And if the dog doesn't like it, or can't eat it, no matter how good the quality, it's worthless for your dog.

Edited by Sighthounds4me

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest Sunset123

1 cup per meal seems like a lot of food for a chihuahua or a terrier.

If you feed a better food you'll be able to feed much less food. My 57lb greyhound gets 2.5 cups per day (1.5 cups in the morning, 1 cup in the evening) of Kirkland.

Your dogs will LIKE Kibbles and Bits because of the artificial flavors (it's like eating junk food), but they'll also like a better food because it's made with meat.

Guest avadogner

Hi everyone,

I agree with the suggestion of Costco's Kirkland or Petsmart's Authority. My senior girl Ava had terrible food allergies when we adopted her 8 yrs ago and ended up on Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach which is salmon based and pretty pricey. But, it has been worth it's weight in gold. All of her Big D stopped and her hair grew back (fell out ALL over her body). Now that she is a senior with the occasional accident in the house, we are so relieved that the poo is firm and easy to clean up. When we brought home our new 87lb boy Augie, we did research on the forum and spoke with our vet and went with Costco's Kirkland. Augie's tummy was acting up and we had the vet check him out and luckily for our walets, it wasn't the food. Bad for poor Augie, he came home with tapeworms. A round of Pancur later, he's doing much better and our walets are happy to be able to feed him a high quality food for half what his sister's food costs. Enjoy your new houndie and go with a better grade food so he's happy and your nose is happy too. (Poor quality food gives them even worse gas and even worse GI issues). Congratulations on your new hound. I hope the forum is helpful too.

-ava and augie's mum

Guest Lovemyhound

I currently feed my dog becca Ol' roy skin&coat she likes it alright I guess. I am thinking of kibble & bit food because she really liked that. Shes a Terrier mix. We also have a chihuahua named Ella. They eat once maybe twice a day I put about a cup of food a day in their bowl. But will a greyhound need much more then a cup a day....is wholesome medly by kibble & bits an ok food for them? I am brand new to this breed so need the advice.....thanksAmber from Arkansas

This thread confuses me. :huh Are we talking about a greyhound? .. or a terrier mix? a greyhound/terrier mix?

No, I too, have never fed either of those foods to my dogs, nor will I ever. (for reasons so well described by Sighthounds4me) Poor quality, fillers, artificial colors, etc, etc. Having said that though, I will feed my greyhounds only high quality food - I feed mine Verus Menhaden Fish/potato and my foster gets the Kirkland chicken variety as dictated by my group (a very good lower cost option) BUT I used to feed my Pom, who recently went to the rainbow bridge at a ripe ol' age of almost 16, just about anything off "the shelf". I usually would go for something like the Purina One's but she could tolerate anything I put in her bowl - whether she liked it or not was a different story. In her aging years and declining phase, I fed her little bits of my girls Verus kibble with healthy add-ins and/or yummy canned food.

So, let's determine - exactly what breed are we talking about here? Then we can better advise. If you are feeding a greyhound (retired racer or otherwise) those brands of foods, you may end up with a doggie with a sick tummy, with diarrhea, constipation, sluggish energy, etc, etc. And what is the weight of your pup - then we can help determine appropriate amounts to be fed per meal.

Good luck with your doggie. :)

I currently feed my dog becca Ol' roy skin&coat she likes it alright I guess. I am thinking of kibble & bit food because she really liked that. Shes a Terrier mix. We also have a chihuahua named Ella. They eat once maybe twice a day I put about a cup of food a day in their bowl. But will a greyhound need much more then a cup a day....is wholesome medly by kibble & bits an ok food for them? I am brand new to this breed so need the advice.....thanksAmber from Arkansas

This thread confuses me. :huh Are we talking about a greyhound? .. or a terrier mix? a greyhound/terrier mix?

My understanding is that the OP has two dogs now, a Chi and a terrier mix, and is researching Greyhounds. Thus she is asking questions about how to feed, etc.

Edited by Sighthounds4me

Okay, I am seeing a lot of people stating that they would not feed these foods, but I do not see anyone providing reasons why not.

Everyone has thier own ideas of what they will feed. I'll feed the corn and chicken by products in iams but won't feed Pefigree or 'Ol Roy as the main protein source in both is meat and bone meal. Meat and bone meal is some really nasty rendering plant stuff and not exactly a good main protein source.

When times were really tough here everyone did just fine on Dog Chow and odds are good if your dog raced before about 2 years ago he or she ate Purina Hi-Pro. Until it was discontinued it was a favorite for kennels. As far as Beneful, just buy Dog Chow instead. Beneful is basically Dog Chow in Sunday go-to-meetin' clothes with sugar and dyes they don't need.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest onedollar

Welcome Amber and congrats on your new hound. You will soon see that you have opened a hot topic here on GT. Everyone has a food opinion. My advice to you is research the ingredients and feed the best food you can afford.

If you can only afford to feed Ol'Roy than so be it. Your dogs will probably do just fine.

My greys do better on a grain free food, I feed them Taste of the Wild.

Again welcome and good luck. :colgate

Welcome to the board Amber!

Good for you for looking into foods for your new greyhound! I think you can definitely find better choices than the two you listed, and not only will it work well for your greyhound, your two little dogs will get better nutrition too.

Check out some of the foods listed in this thread, I think there is some excellent advice here. Keep in mind that you will feed much more of a cheap food because of the fillers (stuff that your dog can't digest and it just comes out the other end) so not only will you need to buy more food, but you will have more to pick up on the other end! ;) Probably not a big deal with a chi and a terrier but with a larger dog it can really end up being a lot of poop. Good luck with your new addition and please come back and ask for more advice if the food you try doesn't agree with your dog! There are lots more we can point you towards.

It is true,, one must feed what they can afford,,,,,and if one is unsure of a product,,, reseach is a good start,,, and if nothing else,,, please ask your vet about these products,,,,I have always believed the better the food,,, and yes they are expensive,,,, the less visits to the vet,,,, so it all works out,, and it sure is true,,,, the better the food the less clean up out in the yard :)