Manny Really Needs Some Prayers

Guest zombrie

I am so sorry this is happening to Manny and to you! Will pray that Manny turns the corner soon. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Poor Manny and you, too. Special prayers and thoughts from Central New Jersey.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

thinking good thoughts for manny. i am so sorry that he is having such a hard time right now with these seizures. hang in there.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Glad the meds kicked in. Hope things are easier for Manny from now on.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest greyt2love

Brie, I hope the worst is over for Mannie. As to yur question about him jumping - I don't know if it is "normal" but the first seizure Caesar had after I brought him home, he was in the yard, and he was jumping. At first, I thought he was playing, then realized it was not play! I had never seen a seizure before so I was totally unprepared for it. I can't believe a vet did something to set this off! I know they are not perfect in their treatments, but still, seems like it could have been avoided with a little thought.

I hope your young man is up and feeling fine this morning!

Deb

Sending hugs and prayers to you and your sweet Manny.

:hope:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Thoughts are with sweet Manny. Just an FYI, Huperazine-A (a homeopathic drug) has been used w/some success w/seizures. Dr. Dodman at Tufts had me working with my boy Jack on it. Something you might want to research.

Again, sending prayers.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest LindsaySF

Crap, sorry to hear this. If something the vet did triggered the seizures I would be very hesitant to return there!

He was given rectal Valium at midnight, and that is when the grand mals turned into focals. The vet wants to hold off on the Valium because he is so drugged up right now.

I really have to disagree with your vet on this one. Valium is your friend, trust me. Don't be worried about drugging Manny up too much, you need the seizures to stop or he can go into status epilepticus, which can be fatal. :( If he has more than one seizure in a day (even focals) definitely definitely give valium. Don't worry about upping the other meds, usually they won't stop a really bad cluster, only valium will. The other meds take too long to work, while rectal valium is nearly instant. When Sophie had a bad cluster last year she had 5 times her normal phenobarbital dose and she still kept seizing.

I have found that most general practitioner vets like to increase the other meds, they are hesitant to use valium. Neurologists on the other hand will tell you to use the valium, you need to break the cluster before the dog goes into status. I am experiencing this with Sophie's regular vet right now, we just keep increasing the pheno, and it doesn't always work.

The only thing that stops Sophie's focal seizures, if they don't stop on their own, is rectal valium. Per her neurologist, she can get up to 24 mL rectal valium (3 doses of 8 mL 5 minutes apart) if necessary to stop a cluster. (Sophie weighs 75 lbs). Last time she went into clusters and spent some time at the vet they had her on a valium IV drip for 48 hours. To say she was drugged up would be an understatement, she couldn't even walk, but it was a necessary precaution, if she kept seizing she could have died. She recovered just fine, valium wears off pretty quickly.

ETA: About the pacing and crying, it could be the post-ictal state, but I would bet it is the increased meds making him act up. He could be hungry or he could just be restless from the meds. Sophie gets super hungry whenever we increase her phenobarbital, I end up giving her a lot of canned green beans.

I hope Manny is feeling better today.

~Lindsay~

Edited by LindsaySF

Crap, sorry to hear this. If something the vet did triggered the seizures I would be very hesitant to return there!

He was given rectal Valium at midnight, and that is when the grand mals turned into focals. The vet wants to hold off on the Valium because he is so drugged up right now.

I really have to disagree with your vet on this one. Valium is your friend, trust me. Don't be worried about drugging Manny up too much, you need the seizures to stop or he can go into status epilepticus, which can be fatal. :( If he has more than one seizure in a day (even focals) definitely definitely give valium. Don't worry about upping the other meds, usually they won't stop a really bad cluster, only valium will. The other meds take too long to work, while rectal valium is nearly instant. When Sophie had a bad cluster last year she had 5 times her normal phenobarbital dose and she still kept seizing.

I have found that most general practitioner vets like to increase the other meds, they are hesitant to use valium. Neurologists on the other hand will tell you to use the valium, you need to break the cluster before the dog goes into status. I am experiencing this with Sophie's regular vet right now, we just keep increasing the pheno, and it doesn't always work.

The only thing that stops Sophie's focal seizures, if they don't stop on their own, is rectal valium. Per her neurologist, she can get up to 24 mL rectal valium (3 doses of 8 mL 5 minutes apart) if necessary to stop a cluster. (Sophie weighs 75 lbs). Last time she went into clusters and spent some time at the vet they had her on a valium IV drip for 48 hours. To say she was drugged up would be an understatement, she couldn't even walk, but it was a necessary precaution, if she kept seizing she could have died. She recovered just fine, valium wears off pretty quickly.

ETA: About the pacing and crying, it could be the post-ictal state, but I would bet it is the increased meds making him act up. He could be hungry or he could just be restless from the meds. Sophie gets super hungry whenever we increase her phenobarbital, I end up giving her a lot of canned green beans.

I hope Manny is feeling better today.

~Lindsay~

Thanks Lindsay!

Manny cluster seizures once a month but this was a lot worse. At the time we were so scared and just willing to do anything the vet said to save him. Looking back, we should have just loaded him up with valium and stop it right then and there.

This afternoon he is doing great, very wobbly in the hind end but that is probably the increased Potassium Bromide. We didn't give him the Pheno since he was doing much better. He's almost back to normal.

Thank you everyone for keeping this boy in your thoughts!

To add to the positive update, we got a call this morning from somebody who is interested in Manny (Manny is my foster). We told him everything and he is still really interested in him... his last grey had seizures and he himself has seizures.

Guest happygrey

Oh no, poor Manny! I didn't realize this was what he needed to get through for the yogurt treats! :( :(

Poor guy! My fingers and toes and double crossed for him! :goodluck :goodluck

ETA: how exciting that someone wants to meet him!

Edited by happygrey