Robert H. (Bob) Deyonker ... 10/4//36-9/15/02

Guest Energy11

Guest Energy11

Hello all! I know this forum is mostly for those furkids who have passed onto The Rainbow Bridge, but I know, and I did last year ... people have posted for their special humans who have passed as well. This is always a VERY HARD time of year for me. My husband, Bob, was VERY sick for four weeks, three days, before passing onto The Rainbow Bridge, Sept. 15, 2002. He sufferd and died of small bowel cancer of unknown origin. I was his sole caretaker, with the wonderful help of Hospice.

I thought, if you all didn't mind ... this year, I'd share the eulogy I wrote for him. Bold Energy was with me at Bob's memorial service, when I read this ... VERY FEW people understand just HOW hard this time of year is for me ... including my DH ...

These words are in memory of Robert H. (Bob) DeYonker ... A quote from Jimmy Buffet ... " Changes in Latitudes, changes in attidudes, ... nothing remains quite the same." Bob was born Oct. 4, 1936. He died of cancer on Sunday, Sept. 15, 2002, leaving this earth forever.

Welcome, family and friends, to the Memorial Celebration of Bob's life. During Bob's last hours, I played Jimmy Buffet songs ( Bob loved Key West). During one of his many hallucinations near the end Bob said , "Jimmy Buffet is at the front door ... " I told him to go to Key West with Jimmy, where there is peace, like telling someone to go to the light.

Those of you who knew Bob, knew he loved Florida, especially the sun and the beach. That is why we are here today in Redington Shores, the beach where he logged hundreds of miles during his daily walks.

Bob was a kind, gentle, caring man of few words, but a loyal friend to all, and loving husband, and a Dad to our adopted greyhound, Energy. Bob and I met 14 years ago Dec., in Sarasota, on the beach, and were married there, 13 years ago, July 1. Since then, there have been wonderful times spent with our greyhound, Energy ... times at the beach, and at Key West. There have also been bad times, but somehow, our love and dedication for eachother, AND our dog, Energy, got us through.

We have come here today to celebrate Bob's life, not mourn, for death is part of life. Bob is in "Key West" now, Heaven for those of us who believe. I do, and so did Bob. He was a Catholic. He is with his sister and parents now, saying "hey" to old friends, in A Peaceful World.

Please don't be sad. He died in a coma, and I feel, without pain, at home with Energy, Keith (his dear friend) and I. His remains are here in this urn, where he waits to join Energy when he dies. Together, their ashes will eventually be spread here on this beach, and they will be together again, meeting at The Rainbow Bridge.

I close with words from the song, "Peaceful World, " by John Mellencamp. "Lay back the top and ride with me ... everything is cool as an be in a peaceful world. Life is what you DO not what you say ... Be careful with your heart and what you love, be sure it was sent from above. " So, in memory of Bob BE KIND to others, BE LOVING, GIVE OF YOURSELVES EVERYDAY! Life is NOW, DO NOT WAIT to do things you've always wanted to do! Life is, INDEED, a GIFT, and SHORT ...

Deanne L. DeYonker EMT-P

:f_red\:gh_run2:f_red Bob and Energy were spread on the beach at Redington Shores, Florida in August 2004, per his request. I have ashes from both, to be spread with me.

Edited by Energy11

Guest Energy11

What a wonderful, personal tribute to a special man, joined since by a special hound you shared. May peace be with you at this time of memory and tenderness. :grouphug

Thank you! I was wondering how to pay tribute this year, and this was what i wanted to do. God Bless you! Dee

Beautiful, Dee. So fitting that Energy was there with you as you were reading this. Autumn is a season of so many emotions. I get how trying it can be to miss that one so close to your heart. Thanks for sharing with us. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

That touched me so much -- I lost my DH, Buck, on August 30, 2007 after a hard 2-week battle with Babesia. I have a time of remembrance from August 14, when my first hound, Harley died over my birthday on the 23rd and into the beginning of Autumn, when we met in 1998 and which we both loved so much. That was a beautiful remembrance.. sending you healing light and thank you for sharing with us.

Guest Energy11

That touched me so much -- I lost my DH, Buck, on August 30, 2007 after a hard 2-week battle with Babesia. I have a time of remembrance from August 14, when my first hound, Harley died over my birthday on the 23rd and into the beginning of Autumn, when we met in 1998 and which we both loved so much. That was a beautiful remembrance.. sending you healing light and thank you for sharing with us.

I am sorry for you loss! I do KNOW how it feels! Even after EIGHT years, and being remarried, ... it is still VERY hard!

I send you a HUGE HUG and lots of love! Dee

14 years of happiness is hard to forget. Life moves on and memories remain.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Your love shows through in every line. :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest lynne893

My heart goes out to you. I understand what it means to face something so horrible and dark. My father went through an ugly battle with cancer and it is a painful loss and my heart hopes that you will someday find a little bit more comfort and peace as years pass. My dad died in 1999, and as much as I hate to admit it, time has helped ease the pain.

Hugs to you. You are in our thoughts and hearts today. Thank you for opening up to our group of greyhound friends.

Lynne

Guest Energy11

My heart goes out to you. I understand what it means to face something so horrible and dark. My father went through an ugly battle with cancer and it is a painful loss and my heart hopes that you will someday find a little bit more comfort and peace as years pass. My dad died in 1999, and as much as I hate to admit it, time has helped ease the pain.

Hugs to you. You are in our thoughts and hearts today. Thank you for opening up to our group of greyhound friends.

Lynne

Thank you for your caring words!

I have moved on, per Bob's wishes. I am remarried, and for the most part, it is good. Yes, time DOES heal! I am far far better than I was, but doing all of his care myself (*I was a working paramedic at the time), took it's toll, BUT, I was glad I had the training to do it!

I did end up leaving my profession, mostly because of this, though. I am happy I found a job at my veterinarian's office, which was my DREAM job! :-)) Unfortunately, I could no longer take the Florida heat and humidity, and we moved.

Thanks again for your kind thoughts! Dee