Tieing Your Greyound

Guest pennmorgan

I've tied Olivia up outside of stores and things in my neighborhood a few times. When I have done so, I give her so little leash she can't even turn around. I think this is pretty safe from a self-injury standpoint, and I'm never away for more than a few minutes. I don't do it anymore, because I live in a neighborhood now where I'm more concerned about someone taking her.

A couple of times when I was in the park in Philly, I would sit on a bench and tie her to the armrest. Again she usually had a very short leash. This was so I could read, eat, etc. She never seemed to mind. I should add that she's a *very* non-reactive dog. If she were skittish I probably wouldn't have done it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Swifthounds

ETA: I think X-pens are an awesome idea. Worked great for my other grey, and all of our fosters. The grey in question - jumps over them like they're not there. Short of bringing a 7 foot X pen - not an option for this girlie. :huh

Easy enough fix. Just put a top on it.

That's right, I forgot you can buy tops for the X-pens. Although I haven't used it, I have a "sun shade" for my X-pen. It would be strong enough to contain a jumper, even if your dog was trying to get out. There are grommets all around the edges and you can attach it with zip ties if you wanted or, as I plan, with ribbons.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

in one of the really good obedience classes i took we worked on teaching a dog to behave when they are tied to a stationary object. it was probably the most useful class i ever took- 14 consecutive weeks of practical training. they learned sit/stay or stand/stay. it was not a matter of a dog being tied out for a long time. the object of the exercise was to teach a dog not to freak out, cry or panic if their owner left for a couple of minutes. we stood outside the door of the class for 3 minutes, the instructor watched. when the dog barked, pulled or acted anxious we came back, corrected them and then praised them for being quiet. it took no time for them to get the message that they we were returning.

i will tie my dogs on a short lead, in a safe town, where i can watch from the window as i run in to get a cup of coffee on our walks.there are regular customers who i will ask to watch(not hold the leash) the dog if i have to run into use the bathroom, small town/village people tend to be pretty helpful. in the very begining felix did exactly what we were called back in to correct in class...yodels, crys, whimpers. a good shussss and my return w/ a bagel taught him that being quiet and waiting was well worth it.but beware, a dog can chew right thru a leash in no time. felix ate emily's new lead once, i returned- untied the dogs, emily was standing patiently and i had one dog and leash, one partial leash in hand. know your dogs, mine will follow me into a shop looking for treats before they will take off.

i feel safer knowing that they know how to be tied and stand quietly. i even had to do a teather and leave the room as part of the therapy dog evaluation with good dog foundation.

i would not just tie a dog who has not been conditioned and trained to wait. the wait command is a powerful command, wait for food, wait for a toy, wait for their owner to return. this all took lots of time and practice.

I have, but I have always been in reach of the dog. Mainly to the chair I'm sitting in or the someone elses chair if it's more in a corner. If I so much as need to go to the bathroom, either he goes with me, or someone sits in my chair. I wouldn't use a long leash. I've done it while at a family reunion and while eating at outdoor cafes. Other than that, I don't see any reasons to tie them up.

Short lead (4' or 6'), calm dog, within sight and easy reach -- don't see a problem. I would tend to tie the dog to myself, tho, rather than some other object -- you would be surprised at what these guys can move if they have a mind to (goes for ground stakes as well).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest scfilby

Short lead (4' or 6'), calm dog, within sight and easy reach -- don't see a problem. I would tend to tie the dog to myself, tho, rather than some other object -- you would be surprised at what these guys can move if they have a mind to (goes for ground stakes as well).

I remember the story of Tank, a grey that was tied to a lawn chair at a tailgate party. He got spooked and bolted, then got even more spooked by the chair dragging behind. I don't believe he was never found.

Guest Swifthounds

Me too.

I can put up a tent, unpack or pack a car, and a whole lot of other things with a hound leashed around my waist - sometimes more than one. It just takes a little practice.

Our ex-pen is stored for travel on the floor of the rear cargo area, under several dog beds (and dogs during travel), so I've gotten some practice.

And a funny story. While I was out at the L'OReal Because Your Dog is Worth it Too event this weekend with my mom and our two youngest hounds, my DBF decided to take Miss Vixen for a walk (she's adjusting to the idea that at her age - almost 11 - and issues she shouldn't be out and about all day in the sun). DBF was charged with keeping her occupied so they watched a movie, did some laundry, and went for a nice walk. It was early morning so DBF stopped at our favorite bagel place nearby, poked through the door, held up some bills and asked the girls behind the counter for his favorite bagel. The obliged and told him it was fine to bring Vixen inside. Not wanting to get them in any trouble, he declined. The girls brought him his bagel and his change - and then stepped outside to fuss over Vixen.

I've gotten everything from coffee, to a smoothie, to food while on a walk; no tying out required. It helps if they know you, but most people will oblige if you have a sweet hound with you. I don't think tying out is horrible in all circumstances, I just don't see a whole lot of circumstances where it would be necessary.

Guest KennelMom

Haven't done it. Wouldn't do it. If the point of taking my dog to an event is so she can experience the event, I don't see the point of tying her up somewhere. I'd just keep her with me. If she needed to be confined during something like a meal, I'd opt for an xpen or crate.

I've picketed Capri only twice, both times in our front yard while I was doing yardwork. She fusses if we leave her indoors and she knows we're outside. More often, I would tether her to me by looping the leash around the belt loop of my jeans. That was kinda cute because I had both hands free and she would follow me around as I puttered. She would get in the way sometimes, though, so even that wasn't ideal. More recently, I bought an xpen and that worked best of all. So I vote for an xpen also. I would never picket my dogs in public places like store fronts, even if I'm only inside for a minute and they're well-behaved. Dogs can be stolen. And then if the person was ever caught, I'd go to jail for murder. :lol

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Don't tie your Grey on anything other than a short lead and only then if you can watch the dog the whole time; they can accelerate far too strongly on 10ft. I have one that is nearly 7ft long but it also has a mid-way buckle that makes it possible keep the dog on a short length. It's just commonsense really and just imagine if a kid walked up to pet the dog and the dog spooked. Greys are not suitable for static tethering or cable runs etc.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I'm too paranoid to leave my dogs outside and go in anywhere... I will wave money, send someone in with a note .. etc.... there have been enough stories about people stealing dogs out of other people's homes and yards for some pretty awful purposes. There are a few stores in the village that I can take the dogs into -- drugstore etc.... and 2 or three small restaurants with outside decks that many people bring their dogs along to.

Guest eaglflyt

Our girl can reach an incredible speed in a single stride. I was holding her on a 4 foot leash this week in our canine turnout during our greyhound play date. We each leash our dogs (muzzled too) for a period of time and let the unleashed pups individually chase a frisbee. We have several owners and pups here at once. Ady Bea is usually patient to wait her turn. I was sitting in a lawn chair while holding her leash (with my arm through the loop handle) when suddenly she wanted to go after the frisbee! Now this was after several throws already and she had been sitting contentedly with me. Suddenly, she lunged with a single stride from a sitting position ... and I was face down in the grass, but still holding the leash and she was looking back at me like, *What's wrong with you? Let's RUN!* Now that was with her just having a single, lunging stride on a 4 foot leash. I can't imagine what she could have done had she had any longer line to use! She may have been running with my arm dragging with the leash behind her .. and me still back on the ground. :lol Or, she could have seriously hurt herself.

The only time I've used a long line with Ady Bea has been during recall training. We were in a safely fenced area and I was covered with treats in various pockets, pouches, etc. If she had bolted for a squirrel, I would have dropped the long line and retrieved her when she stopped since we were in a fenced area. I would NEVER try to hold a dog with a long line with them going at speed ... one or both of us would be seriously hurt. And again, I only use a long line if a fenced area. It's just used for recall training ... never for dog control in an unfenced area. ;)

Edited by eaglflyt

Guest greytloves

Many, many years ago we did tie our girl at my in-laws house. We were all sitting outside having a picnic and we staked a pole and then tied her to it. Then I sat next to her on a blanket while we had our picnic. It was basically just a precaution as I still had her leash in hand but wanted to also be able to eat. And this extra precaution I took with the tie out was for the girl that would never leave my side. So, I was being extra cautious because I thought with us out in an open field eating I could be distracted just enough. So that was my experience of a tie out. Not much of one considering I had her on a leash, too!

I don't completely trust Xpens. They seem to easy to take down if you have a dog that REALLY wants to after something. I would not use them if I was also not right there the whole time.

Maybe I've just had to do too many searches for loose hounds.....

I don't see the big deal in the right situation. Using a harness, a short lead (4'... 12' is waaay too long), attaching her to something solid, and you are very close by.. I say that's fine. I would NOT, however, use a collar, a long lead (can gain speed if she decides to run), attach to something flimsy which can break and trail behind her, or wander too far from her.

If you think about it, if she is tethered on a 4 foot lead and decides to lunge after a squirrel, how is that any different from her lunging while you're holding that same 4 foot lead? There is no difference.

Yesterday I walked Roscoe and Sage over to the car wash area of my apartment complex. I tied them to a pole (on their 4' leads), and proceeded to wet them down and wash them. At one point Sage did see a squirrel and made a quick move for it, and got all of 2 feet. She could have (and always does) the same thing with the leash in my hand.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest KennelMom

I don't completely trust Xpens. They seem to easy to take down if you have a dog that REALLY wants to after something. I would not use them if I was also not right there the whole time.

I use them at lure coursing events often. If you stake them down, they aren't going anywhere. Lord knows I've uttered enough curse words trying to take them down at the end of the day and I have tools!

Guest greytloves

I use them at lure coursing events often. If you stake them down, they aren't going anywhere. Lord knows I've uttered enough curse words trying to take them down at the end of the day and I have tools!

That would be the difference. I've seen too many people not staking them down. I think I would stake them and curse right along with you!

No, I wouldn't do it. I agree with the people who suggest an ex pen. I watched Carl chew through a nylon leash in the car that was bugging him, it took about 3 seconds or less. If your dog did that you may never see it happen or when s/he takes off.

Yep, my first grey would start to chew through his leash while I was standing right there holding it. I already knew how fast he could bite it in half and he only seemed to want to do it whenever we were at a stand still on our walk. It is downright scary to see what they are capable of doing whenever the mood strikes.

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

Guest sheila

at a BBQ this wkend I used Billys leash to make a tether that held him to the chair I was sitting on so that I could have my hands free for eating etc. He had his blanket and a dish of water beside him and was perfectly safe and content. Even still he managed to get his legs tangled up in the leash a cpl times when he would stand up, but I was right there to correct it.

I have also used the leash to tether outside a convenience store while I ran in for a paper. I always wait until there is nobody at the counter so I can walk in and grab it and leave so my dog is only tied for less than 30 seconds.

I would never use a long lead as a tether and I've only tethered when I am going to be within a few feet away.