Tieing Your Greyound

I'm never going to put a collar on my grey and tie it to a post. :blink:

But - there are circumstance when I'm somewhere with my grey that it would be nice to be able to tie her for a while. Family picnic for example.

So - I'm think of putting a harness on my grey, and hooking a long lead on her harness (a horse lunge-line). I'll be in sight the whole time. I'd like to have her there, but not tethered to me the whole time.

What do you think?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oy- no. Even if she is not high prey, several thousand years of genetic programming is hard to overcome, and you must understand that something as small as a bird flying by or a squirrel romping in the yard could be a trigger. And off she will try to go.

We use expens. Everyone is safe that way.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest eaglflyt

The danger with using a longer line is the speed they can pick up is tremendous even in a short distance, let alone 30 feet or more. If you've ever seen calf roping, it's the same effect. The could easily hurt themselves very badly when they reach the end of any type of tied line at speed ... harness or collar.

An exercise pen is a much better idea. :)

No. That would be a very bad idea. These animals are sighthounds. If they see a rabbit or squirrel moving there natural instinct to want to chase it might kick in. They would want to chase it. and they could end up getting hurt very bad or even end up with a broken neck because they could only go so far on the tie out.

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

Agree with all of above. Not a good idea..

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

I researched this same subject myself before I got Summer. And concluded NO. Until I got my X-pen, though, I would tie her when we were camping, out of necessity. BUT she wore her harness AND she was only tied on her 6' leash. I would never have tied her on anything longer. AND someone was always beside her, always.

Edit: And it was never for very long.

I would recommend an X-pen! Summer tolerated the occasional tying... but she was thrilled with her X-pen!

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Jubilee251

The only time I have done that is picking up a car from a garage that was not dog-friendly. I was SO nervous about it, but the dogs were literally 10 feet away - just outside the garage entrance and they could see me through the fencing. I got the car out of the garage in about 30 seconds, and then loaded up the pups.

I would NEVER do it in any other circumstance.

Guest Swifthounds

Bad idea.

Lest anyone think that the harness is a better idea than the collar in a tie out situation, the difference is in potential for pain and suffering. The risk with the collar tie out is acceleration and a broken neck. The risk with the harness is broken ribs and lung puncture/collapse, which is a painful suffocating process.

Nothing in the world I need to do "hound free" badly enough to risk any of their lives.

Guest Mollysmom10

Probably not a good idea - even if you know your dog, they can be unpredictable in unfamiliar circumstances. Molly would be fine one minute when we would be walk, hear something that would spook her and almost bolt the next min. I like the exercise pen idea --

No, I wouldn't do it. I agree with the people who suggest an ex pen. I watched Carl chew through a nylon leash in the car that was bugging him, it took about 3 seconds or less. If your dog did that you may never see it happen or when s/he takes off.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Short leash and harness and right beside me while I am sitting there, maybe, so I can let go long enough to eat, for example. Otherwise, never.

I tether Phene and Treasure to a bike rack in front of Tim Horton's every morning. They are in full sight through the front windows. Nothing bad has ever happened, but they're only there for a few minutes. I've also tethered them in front of stores/ take out restaurants if I know I'm going to be very quick and if I can see them from inside.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

OK... thanks for all the responses. I'm surprised to hear that not many people have ever tried tying their grey - on a harness - for a short period of time - in their full sight.

I would like to hear stories of where people tried this.

BTW- I'm thinking of using a 12 foot line.

ETA: I think X-pens are an awesome idea. Worked great for my other grey, and all of our fosters. The grey in question - jumps over them like they're not there. Short of bringing a 7 foot X pen - not an option for this girlie. :huh

Edited by sobesmom

Guest MyBoys

I agree with all the no's, greys are just way to quick, your dog could end up with a broken back before you could even get out of your chair. Why take the chance.

We often tether the dogs to the picnic benches when we go for breakfast at the woodland cafe to make it easier to eat. I use carabiner so that its easier to get them undone quickly rather than looping the lead through the handle and there on there normal 6ft leads so isn't really any different to being tethered to me. Normally were always sat right there, but i have once had to leave them while i went to collect my food as i was alone. It did make me feel a bit nervous but i could see them and they were focussed watching me (no doubt to check i was getting them a sausage).

I would consider tethering to one of those ground stakes if i was camping or at a picnic but only on a short lead (<6ft) if i was going to be sat nearby. I think those x-pens are excellent and seem a much easier option as no need to worry about lead entanglements or chewing their way free. 12ft is too long, why will the dog need that much room to wander anyway?

I agree. If an X-pen isn't an option because your hound jumps out... then no more than 6'. 12' is too long, they can get up quite a bit of speed in 12' and then break their neck at the end (with collar) or their ribs/shoulder (with harness). With 12', they'll probably get tangled anyway. They aren't the best at keeping their OWN legs untangled from a tie-out, let alone other people's, LOL!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance