Tieing Your Greyound

Guest Scouts_mom

Years ago when I had just gotten my first grey, I tied her to a tree with a 10ft rope while I did yard work. She saw a squirrel, took off after it, and somersaulted tail over head. God was looking out for her as she was bruised but not seriously hurt. However I learned my lesson and never did it again.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JohnnySolo

Example:

Went camping, tied my dog up with a 12 footer and his harness, I didn’t want one of the kids holding on to him as I set up the tent. Thought I’d take a quick trip to the next sight so I could give my sister something, the kids were standing with the dog and had his attention. He noticed and started a happy jog over and got a scare when he stopped short with a yip.

I’ll be getting an xpen.

If you think about it, if she is tethered on a 4 foot lead and decides to lunge after a squirrel, how is that any different from her lunging while you're holding that same 4 foot lead? There is no difference.

This. I live in a very walkable town and do most of my short errands (when the weather does not suck) with Enza by my side. She hangs out by the door when I pick up my dry cleaning (and you can tell the weather has been awful - it's been three months), pick up a book at the library (I get faster service when I say Enza is waiting for me), hangs out with people when I go to pick up a pizza, and she eagerly awaits me emerging from the local coffee shop as she knows there will be a cookie for her.

I can also take her to eat outside at just about every single restaurant in town and the leash either gets clipped to my ankle or clipped to my chair.

As for worrying about people taking her, she is a known entity in my neighborhood and has quite a fan club. I get stopped in grocery stores and asked if I'm Enza's mom. People stop me and give me sticks to give to her. I come out of the coffee shop to see her curled up at someone else's feet, giving them puppy eyes for their cookie, or leaning on a neighbor giving her ear scratches. Heck, my poor dog walker gets people telling her that she walks Enza wrong as *everyone* knows Enza prefers the shade.

I won't do it everywhere - not at the Farmer's Market, nor the grocery store, nor outside if I'm eating inside, and certainly not if the weather is awful.