My Joey Is Home

Thank goodness!!!!! Joe is HOME!!!!! You'll both be so much happier, just being together. Here's hoping for blue skies & long remission.

FWIW, Skeeter is terrified of storms, too. Half a Xanax (no, not mine....we get them 5 at a time (once a year or so) from the vet) works wonders.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Yea! Glad Joe made it home yesterday!

Hope Joe's doing better today. How's Arwen??

Not to hijack Joe's thread but, Wenny is doing fabulous. Took a while to get back to eating and still doesn't eat a full meal but she could stand to loose a few. (not too much!) She would love to jump on the couch but needs another week for that.

I got a fright when I saw the other thread had been locked :eek:blush

You and me, both! So glad he's home and recuperating.

Sending you ))))))anti-thunderstorm((((((( vibes.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

how is he doing today? :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Lillysmom

Praying that no news is due to computer issues and that JoeJoe is doing well. Sending more hugs and good thoughts to both of you. :hope

Praying that no news is due to computer issues and that JoeJoe is doing well. Sending more hugs and good thoughts to both of you. :hope

You got it exactly right. For whatever reason, we lost power for four hours AFTER some storms on Thursday. Then I discovered that my surge protector did its job (thank goodness!). With my staying close to Joe and waiting on him hand and foot, I didn't get down to the basement to look for another powerstrip/surge protector until today. Thankfully my computer is working well and my internet is actually normal today. I also figured out that my noisy fan is actually the case fan so it will be very easy to replace. Now on to Joe.

I don't know why the other topic got locked. Perhaps because I started a new one?

Joe is doing absolutely great!!!! Wednesday night through Friday morning were rough. Joe had to pee every 1 to 2 hours but he just didn't have the strength to go out that often. I would get him get up but he would take a few steps and just let loose. I learned to have a towel and waterproof barrier ready but we still had about 8 accidents on the indoor/outdoor carpet runners that I put down for him. At least they clean up easier than the wall to wall carpet. He let out some GSOD and pitiful whining every few hours. By Thursday afternoon I was starting to worry that I didn't do the right thing. I was getting pretty low. Then I got my mail and a wonderful friend had sent me a book "Without Regret". Just the name of it helped me focus again. I read a bit of it when I was waiting at OSU on Friday.

Overnight on Thursday his edema decreased a lot (he was probably peeing so often as a side effect of the edema getting better (it has to go somewhere) and his mild UTI. We had a followup appointment at OSU on Friday morning. I pulled the car out of the garage to give more room to manouver Joe into the back seat. I took him out and was trying to figure out how to get him into the car by myself. Well he said, "Look Mom, no problem" and just jumped into the back seat. When I saw him start to take off, it scared me to death. At least I had the sense to drop the sling so I didn't hold him back. Being the typical Joe, he fell asleep in the car on the way to OSU. I checked in by cellphone so I didn't have to wake him up. I think that might have been a first for the office staff, it took a while for them to understand :)

After about 15 minutes he decided it was time to go pee so he did his business and went in to greet his public. Usually (when he gives blood) he goes up to each person in the waiting room and asks for attention. This time, he made everyone come to his bed. I had brought some liver pieces for people to give him. I don't think he's spoiled at all :rolleyes:

His vets were very impressed with his progress. In typical OSU fashion, it took about 6 hours for them to get some bloodwork and remove his bandages. They definitely aren't fast, but they sure are good there. In any case, it gave me time to love on the other greyhounds who came in and chat with some friends. Joe's bloodwork came back much improved.

Last night I ran out of cooked steak and liver :o I didn't have any raw stuff thawed either. Since before all this Joe just ate dry food, I mixed about half a can of wet dog food into the dry. He took a few bites, looked at me disgustedly, and turned his back on me. He refused to eat. So I got some steak and liver out of the freezer, nuked it, and sauteed some more for him. Yeah, I know, some of you are shaking your heads at how well he has me trained. But really, he lost quite a bit of weight. He needs about 5 pounds to get back to normal.

Last night he went 6 hours without peeing. He hasn't had an accident inside since early yesterday morning. His edema is almost gone. We won't get the culture/sensitivity til next week but it appears that the Clavamox is doing the trick on the mild UTI.

Joe has been insisting on eating standing up, so I had been holding his food bowl and being right next to him so I could support him. Last night he started doing circles on his bed before he laid down and this morning he did his first tripod stretch. So obviously, his balance has improved. So I decided this morning that he could eat on his own. I put the bowl on a stand and he stood there and just looked at me. Now mind you, this is a bowl of dry food with A LOT of liver and steak. I looked at him, he looked at me. I turned my back and went to pick up the kitchen. I turned around 30 seconds later and he was still just LOOKING at me. Another 30 seconds, his eyes were boring into my back. I'd like to tell you that I held firm, but I caved in first. I picked up his bowl, and he happily started eating.

Joe now wants to venture into the woods. This morning he did his normal pee in 3 places (one woods, two on the lawn) and poop in 2 places (woods and lawn). He is able to go up and down my three concrete steps on his own. As a matter of fact, I will soon have to put him on a leash so he doesn't get into trouble running through the woods. They want him to be leashed for another week. Poor Joey.

He has his sutures removed next Thursday. They will also be doing his first chemo on Thursday. Since he is getting both doxorubicin and Suramin he will have to be there all day. They have to wait at least 4 hours after the doxo before they do the Suramin.

So it is all good news!

Yea! Glad Joe made it home yesterday!

Hope Joe's doing better today. How's Arwen??

Not to hijack Joe's thread but, Wenny is doing fabulous. Took a while to get back to eating and still doesn't eat a full meal but she could stand to loose a few. (not too much!) She would love to jump on the couch but needs another week for that.

Suzy, Joe is happy to hear news about Wenny. I am so glad things are going well for her.

Jane

So glad he's doing better! And no shame on the spoiling via food. He needs to eat to keep his strength. I hope he is here being picky and making you cook and jumping into the back seat for years.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So glad he's doing better! And no shame on the spoiling via food. He needs to eat to keep his strength. I hope he is here being picky and making you cook and jumping into the back seat for years.

What is the saying? "From your lips to God's ears". I think that's it.

I forgot to add that I picked up some Chinese food yesterday on our way home. My fortune said: "Believe in miracles"

What is the saying? "From your lips to God's ears". I think that's it.

I forgot to add that I picked up some Chinese food yesterday on our way home. My fortune said: "Believe in miracles"

Great fortune!

Steak is good for him! There really is, or should be, a "feed the dog, starve the cancer" diet. High protein, low carbs. I used to give Winnie steak (albeit not the expensive kind) for breakfast all the time with her Chicken Soup For The Dog Lover's Soul kibble.

Keep feeling better, sweet boy.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest Smiley

I am so, so happy Joey is doing so well Jane! Hugs to both of you-you are an amazing caretaker! And I would have caved and held his bowl for him to eat too. :colgate

Great to hear Joe is doing so good! My" IVY " (racing name Dream Irish) is the tripod at the beginning of one of the chapters in that book. It is the chapter on doing things and having fun. She is dark brindle and is sitting down next to a trophy she won while a tripod for doing many tricks. I thought it was a good book too! She did me like Joe did you. The first night she was home I started to panic at time to go to bed because we used to sleep together and I didn't know how or if I could get her into bed. She knew what I was thinking and just jumped in with no trouble at all before I could do anything. just like Joe got in your car. Gotta love a greyhound! Hugs and kisses to Joe!

Ummm, I hold my girls bowls all the time for them! :blush

So, how's Joe Joe today? Is he using the sling much?

He no longer needs the sling. I was very grateful for it during the first few days. It helped him do the three steps to the outside and also to support him when he got tired doing his business and going in/out and to his bed.

He has not screamed in two days, although he does whimper in pain if he moves in a way that pulls at the sutures. Overall, his pain seems to be quite well controlled. He is starting to figure out that he can get anything he wants from me. He just managed to convince me that he really, really needed another piece of cream cheese.

Jane

And I'll just bet it wasn't very hard at all for him to "convince" you to shell out the cream cheese.

Hope he just continues to improve every day & if cream cheese will help, I'll send him a case.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.