Joe Is Scheduled For Amputation Tomorrow At 10 Am

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a call from Dr. Portela (Joe's oncologist). She said he stood up for about 10 seconds this morning and even ate some plain old dry food. I was thinking that he wouldn't want to eat much today but it sounds like I need to mix up some of his favorites and take it in for him soon. He will be dining on lightly seared rare steak and some yummy venison liver (ugh!).

My computer is making strange noises today. I think perhaps the processor fan is going bad. So I will limit the time it is on. If I don't respond quickly, it is just because of the darn computer.

Jane

p.s. I didn't see Suzy (packmom) there today. I heard that she got bad news yesterday but didn't hear what the final diagnosis was. I am afraid it was liver cancer or hemangiosarcoma.

Jane, glad to hear Joe is through the surgery and resting. Now comes the hard 2 weeks for you. Arwen has hemangiosarcoma and is scheduled for surgery on Friday since the prefered surgeon is out until then. Pending opinion of Dr. C. I'm still waiting to hear from him. Can't believe it. It has been only 1 month since we lost Saturn to the same thing!

Suzy,

I am so sorry. Do you know yet when the surgery is on Friday? I need to take Shelby to her vet for some bloodwork at 11:30, but I can be with you at OSU at all other times. I would be coming in to see Joe anyway.

Jane

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} to both of you. (Jane and Suzy)

I'm glad that Joe is on his way to recovery. He'll be pouncing on his dinosauer in no time. (now's your chance to put a grunt back in it)

MP

PS..you should have the sling tomorrow. I sent it 2DAY air.

Joe sounds like he is doing very well. I can't imagine him in better hands than where he is right now.

All my good wishes are going to you and Joe for a comfortable and quick recovery.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Joe started getting a little anxious around mid-day so they gave him some sedative. When I visited at 5 he was very much "out of it". I don't think he realized I was there and didn't react when I put some yummy liver in front of his nose. They said that he was doing as expected for this point in his recovery. He will likely come home on Sunday.

I remembered to ask what the fine needle aspirate showed. Our oncologist said that it was inconclusive. So we won't have confirmation as to what cancer it is until pathology is done (probably mid next week). Going into this, Dr. C said he was 99% sure it is osteo.

I will be going back to OSU tomorrow and spending the afternoon with Suzy (packmom) while her Arwen undergoes a CAT scan and probably surgery. I will get to look in on Joe also.

I am doing okay. I am mostly numb. I tend to handle a crisis situation fairly well and then fall apart when it is over. I don't think it has really hit me that he will likely not be here with me in a year or so.

Jane

Guest longdoglady

Not thinking about the future is a good thing, you have enough to deal with on a day to day basis. I can do nothing to help except send you and Suzy a huge amount of love and hugs plus prayers for many more joyful times with your hounds. :hope:grouphug

sending many hugs and prayers to Joe and you, Jane!!!! :hope :hope :candle:grouphug:hope :hope

You are a very special person to us at GPA-WI :):kiss2:bighug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I am doing okay. I am mostly numb. I tend to handle a crisis situation fairly well and then fall apart when it is over. I don't think it has really hit me that he will likely not be here with me in a year or so.

Jane

Jane, we are right there with you. Let's not think about the future but enjoy the here and now like they do and spoil them. There is nothing saying that Joe will not be around for a few years. It's been done before and I know Charlie will be one of them so why not Joe?

Kyle

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Smiley

Many hugs to you and Joe, Jane. I've thought of you both often and wish Joe a peaceful recovery and the both of you years together!

Guest Lillysmom

You are a very special person to us at GPA-WI :):kiss2:bighug

You can say that again, Kim!

Jane, you know how I feel. Please remember that there are so many of us out here that will do anything we can to make Joe's recovery as easy for you as possible.

I've asked Tattoo to be with you and Joe now during your time of struggle, especially when you don't have to be in crisis mode anymore and can let it all flow out of you. :bighug

As other have said, enjoy every minute with him. Don't count the days...just enjoy them. I know it's easier said than done - and when we hear those horrible words from the vet we do go numb....but what you can give Joe that no doctor can is consistent love and a smile. And for that, he is blessed.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

{{{{{{{{{{Joe & mom}}}}}}}}}}

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.