Lost My Jack After Anesthesia

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, my God, that is so devastating. Any loss is painful, but this is doubly traumatic. Even though there was no blame, the random suddenness is so hard to comprehend.

Thinking of you with much sympathy. I'm so sorry you lost your precious Jack.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest TeddysMom

What a tragedy, I am so sorry for your loss. I am always nervous when any of my dogs or the fosters have to be put under for any procedure. When they pass unexpedtedly I have a hard time accepting it because I feel that I didn't get to say goodbye. I have only had this happen once with a foster boxer with a badly broken leg. Surgery was successful, he was awake, doing well even had a bit of water and a spoon of AD food. The vet came back to the office before going to bed just to check on him and he had passed away. The necropsy showed a blood clot, it was devastating to the vet and me. He was a "drop dead" gorgeous boxer, young and healthy.

Run free sweet Jack. :angelwings:gh_run2

I did not read all the responses, but I have to ask...was he given prophylactic antibiotics before the dental? This sounds like a similar reaction that Naples had a few years ago, when she went into septic shock following a dental. IV antibiotics and supportive care pulled her through, but it was VERY touchy.

I am SO SORRY for your loss! :(

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

I did not read all the responses, but I have to ask...was he given prophylactic antibiotics before the dental? This sounds like a similar reaction that Naples had a few years ago, when she went into septic shock following a dental. IV antibiotics and supportive care pulled her through, but it was VERY touchy.

I am SO SORRY for your loss! sad.gif

Thanks....No....he did not have pre-op antibiotics. Something else to consider. Thank you so much for your support.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I'm so sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts. Run free sweet Jack.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

OMG :ohno How absolutely awful for you. I am so terribly, terribly sorry :cry1 :cry1 :cry1

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Could Von Willebrand's disease be a possiblity? (I'm thinking about the extreme redness you saw).

Whatever happened, I'm deeply sorry that you lost Jack and I hope you find the closure you're looking for.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Horrible, horrible shock. I am so sorry.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Hon, I am so, so sorry. Since this hasn't happened to me, I can only imagine how you feel. sad.gif I'm glad that at least GT people are able to give you some ideas about what happened. Take care.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

What a horrible thing to have gone through. I'm so, so sorry for the premature loss of your sweet boy. My friend had a beautiful springer spaniel who died after what seemed to be an uneventful, simple surgery. He was only five years old. It sounded so much like what happened to your Jack.

Again, my thoughts are with you. This is such a terrible thing to live through. It will take a while before you start to feel better. Until then, be gentle with yourself. There was nothing you could have done differently.

Lynn_siggie-1.jpg

What a horrible thing to have gone through. I'm so, so sorry for the premature loss of your sweet boy. My friend had a beautiful springer spaniel who died after what seemed to be an uneventful, simple surgery. He was only five years old. It sounded so much like what happened to your Jack.

Again, my thoughts are with you. This is such a terrible thing to live through. It will take a while before you start to feel better. Until then, be gentle with yourself. There was nothing you could have done differently.

I keep asking over and over what I could have done - and I am beating myself up for worrying so much about the corn. I had been working on it for several months - but it wasn't going away - yet....he could have lived with it. My problem was that he LOVED to walk - and it certainly compromised that. And then I tell myself that eventually those teeth were going to need to be done - and I would have faced the problem then....still, the "what-if's" loom large.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest budsmom

(((Please don't beat yourself up))). This was a terrible, tragic accident and wasn't anyone's fault. You were doing what all good hound parents do and trying to provide the best health care possible for your baby. I'm so very sorry for your loss, the suddenness and lack of explanation must make it especially hard.

Guest MyBoys

I am so very sorry you lost your sweet boy so suddenly, it is just heartbreaking. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Please go easy on yourself, there are just things that happen we have no control over. Run Free Jack :gh_run2

Please don't beat yourself up. You were doing something that would ease the pain your boy was having. Whatever the reason; he is gone and it was not your fault. Sometimes, they just leave us and we can't understand why.

Our John E was fine at breakfast and gone by lunchtime. He just filled up with blood and bruises.

I am so very sorry for the loss of Jack. I have read how much your heart is broken.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest greytloves

I did not read it all - these things are such horrible tragedies that it is hard to read all the posts - but did you have a necropsy done?

I am so,so very sorry. I can't imagine the shock for you.

....still, the "what-if's" loom large.

The "what-ifs" will always be there. Even after a prolonged illness, you'll ask yourself, "could he have hung on another day?" or "should I have done it sooner?" It's a VERY tough thing to accept, when these guys rely on us for everything.

I pray for your peace! :candle

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

I'm so sorry you've lost your boy.

I lost Oreo following orthopedic surgery to put a pin in a broken leg. The surgeon believed it was a clot in her lungs, preventing her from getting the oxygen she needed even though she was on O2. They did CPR but could not save her.

You feel guilty because you "chose" surgery to help your dog, you feel cheated of the chance to see your dog grow old and to tell your dog good-bye (and I didn't get to spend time with Oreo before surgery because they wanted her to stay calm), and you feel pole-axed: it was a simple, "routine" procedure, and surgical complications are things that happen to other people's dogs. (When the phone rang, I thought the vet was calling to tell me she was out of surgery and I could pick her up the next day.)

I didn't choose a necropsy. It was bad enough, realizing that if I'd seen her after she died, she would have been sporting an incision and stitches from the surgery; I really wanted to remember her as she had been (and not even remember her as she was in the ER, wrapped shoulder-to-toes in lime green vet wrap). The thought of her being cut further was more than I could tolerate. A necropsy wouldn't have brought her back, and I don't think it would have produced any useful information (say, for research purposes). Doctors often want to know "why". I didn't care about that; I just wanted her back.

Four years, two months, twenty-two days. I'm still missing her.

132673157_a745304b4e.jpg

I'll be thinking of you.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)