A Bit Worried About My Boy...

Max turned 12 the end of April, and has always been very healthy and active. It got really hot,really fast in May, and Max seemed to be bothered by the heat, seemed to get a little lethargic and sleeping more, panting quite a lot. He had his vet check up towards the end of May and all seemed well, but I do still have to take in his urine sample and get a blood draw done. It has cooled off a bit the past week or so, butt Max hasn't perked back up. Still panting a lot, sleeping all the time. I'll take him in to vet next week, but I'm don't know what to think, about what might be wrong. He is eating well, going to the bathroom as normal, nothing has changed there, no weight change, fur is still normal - I don't know what could be going on. Could he be in pain? He does seem to have some stiffness when he gets up from bed, and has some hind end weakness - I've noticed that he seems to be stumbling more often. His panting is a bit raspy - could it be larangyal paralysis?

Plus, I've been away all week, and home tomoroww, so trying not to panic and get worried too much. An I realize it could be just old age, but am a bit worried it could be more...

So, any wee positive thoughts you could spare, for it being just my precious boy showing his age would be appreciated. He is the love of my life, I am so scared of him being ill, and being away from home right now, I've been worrying, so thanks for listening to my concerns over something that will probably (hopefully, please doG) be nothing major...

Edited by maximum

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

I hope it's nothing.

Just by-the-by, Betsy has been having similar issues for over a year, and we have yet to find anything worth worrying about. She said to tell you that even though it's cooler than it was, it's still too hot for an old broad.

:goodluck and :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Hope it's nothing here, too. Sending hugs for yourself and scritchies for Mr. Handsome.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Dusty, who is 13, struggles with both LS and LP. It definitely takes a toll on them :( He also sleeps more and deeper. His hearing is "okay" but he doesn't hear as well as he used to and I think that helps him sleep sounder and deeper. Good thoughts for Max.

Lisa, often laryngeal paralysis and hind end weakness go together. Or, it could just be he's got a wobbly old man butt.

Try giving him some benadryl to see if that helps the raspiness. Foxy was on that for quite a while before we had to move up to pred. We never did the scope, but both our vet and Dr Couto were pretty sure that she did have it.

The stiffness in the hips could also be arthritis. An anti inflamitory would really help (says me who can't live without mine or I can't move without looking like I'm 80)

Sending lots of positive vibes Max's way, he has always been a favourite of mine.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Lisa, often laryngeal paralysis and hind end weakness go together. Or, it could just be he's got a wobbly old man butt.

Try giving him some benadryl to see if that helps the raspiness. Foxy was on that for quite a while before we had to move up to pred. We never did the scope, but both our vet and Dr Couto were pretty sure that she did have it.

The stiffness in the hips could also be arthritis. An anti inflamitory would really help (says me who can't live without mine or I can't move without looking like I'm 80)

Sending lots of positive vibes Max's way, he has always been a favourite of mine.

Yes, i do recall reading about that (probably here on GT, I'm sure!) I have been wondering about it; we've started blocking him out from the basement when we aren't home. The lethargy is what is worrying me a bit more; I think I'll try giving him some metacam when I get home (He has always tolerated it well), see if it helps, if it is pain...

I hope it's nothing.

Just by-the-by, Betsy has been having similar issues for over a year, and we have yet to find anything worth worrying about. She said to tell you that even though it's cooler than it was, it's still too hot for an old broad.

:goodluck and :grouphug

I have to say, this is kind of what I amhoping for -it is just him gett older (but it seemed to happen so fast!) and that it is just the heat...

Tell Betsy to stay cool!

Thanks for the good wishes and replies. I forgot to say that we are going to his chiron on Tuesday; hopefully that will help too!

I wonder if so many changes in weather can have a negative effect on Max. Pouring rain, no rain, burning hot, not as hot and thunder and lightening. Everybody from work has been feeling crummy...maybe it's effecting Max, also? I hope he feels better soon.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Good thoughts for Max. I hope it's nothing serious and he will come round to his old self. I know my two boys (6&7) did not like that heat that occurred 10 days ago. They were panting up a storm and wouldn't move around much. Getting older sucks for both pup and human as the body just can't handle the same things.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest kydie

Good thoughts to your boy, the panting, could be an indication of pain, the raspy sound....heart,,, don't mean to be to seem line a drag here, but for me,,,, I'd have him checked..... many times "old age" issues can be mananged with a glucosmine and MSM supplement Good Luck,,,,,,,, keep us updated :)

He and Miss E must be on the same wavelength. It doesn't matter how cool it is inside or out, she's still huffing these days. Though in her case, we're also fighting seasonal allergies too.

We're chalking it up to age so I hope the same for sweet Max.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

He and Miss E must be on the same wavelength. It doesn't matter how cool it is inside or out, she's still huffing these days. Though in her case, we're also fighting seasonal allergies too.

We're chalking it up to age so I hope the same for sweet Max.

Yeah, I sure hope it's just heat + age combined. Hope the allergies clear up for Echo!

I wonder if so many changes in weather can have a negative effect on Max. Pouring rain, no rain, burning hot, not as hot and thunder and lightening. Everybody from work has been feeling crummy...maybe it's effecting Max, also? I hope he feels better soon.

Thanks Robin - am really hoping it's just the weather, but worriesome that he seems so lethargic, and it came on rather suddenly...maybe it's because I've been away, too. He's not a mopey dog but maybe he is missing me a bit, too...

:blush

Edited by maximum

Hope Max is just having an off day Lisa, but keep us posted after you see the vet and chiro. In the meantime, for you :grouphug and for Max :kiss2. I know how worried you must be though.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Lisa, how did things go with Max yesterday?

We had an appointment with his chiro yesterday and the good news is that, according to her, he is in amazingly good shape for a 12 year old! :blush So that was good and it made me happy. She did just a couple of small adjustments, which she said he likely didn't even notice. So - on positive side, he is not in any pain in his joints. But it does make the diagnosis of laryngeal paralysis more likely, unfortunately. He is going to see the vet Saturday, just for a blood draw and take in his urine sample, to rule out anything else.

We did get the name of a vet in the area who does acupuncture, so we may give that a try.

In the meantime, although still panting way too much, he is perkier - eating better again, more chipper on his walks, etc. Hi is still sleeping lots more than ever before and I guess just showing his age. Man, seeing them get old really sucks... :(

Thanks for checking on my boy. Here is a pic, for your viewing pleasure!

:P :P

cedarlodge2010003.jpg

Edited by maximum