Toe Amputation

Guest OMGiluvgreys

Guest OMGiluvgreys

Just going to ask for a few prayers for my 4 year old girl Misty.

She's been having problems with one of her weight bearing toes on her right front paw for a couple months. Took X-Rays today and the tip of the toe is all cloudy. So we are having it removed on Friday.

Edited by OMGiluvgreys

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Good thoughts coming from here for Misty, and as for missing a toe, I have two hounds that each have a toe missing and they do just fine ;)

sending lots and lots of prayers for your girl, Ken!!!! :hope :hope :hope:candle:hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Hope she has an easy recovery and good biopsy report -- let us know!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

More prayers for Misty. I hope she comes through with flying colours!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Smiley

I'll keep your girl in my thoughts and prayers. We had this exact issue last Oct. with Smiley. They took the toe off after 72 hours of no change on heavy antibiotics. The good news that I hope will give you hope, is that it turned out to be a severe infection-the path results showed no cancer. Sending good thoughts to you and Misty . . .

I will keep you and Misty in my thoughts..I just went through this with Garry..a terrible corn. Went in to remove it and vet x-rayed. Saw a large cloudy mass. she suspected cancer and removed the toe. Biopsy came back "inflammation"..not cancer! So think posative! Donna

any update Ken? :hope:hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest OMGiluvgreys

Misty came thru surgery without a hitch. After taking x-rays before surgery the toe looked much worse then the last x-ray. So now we wait for the biopsy and culture to come back. She is on a heavy dose of Baytril and some pain meds.

Now she'll have to get use to walking with one less toe.

Edited by OMGiluvgreys

Glad she came through the surgery well. My Scout came to me with one less toe on a back foot; no real problems except as he got older the other toes on that foot seemed to get swollen every now and then.

How long till the biopsy results come back?

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

My boy Romi had his toe off a few years back, he did have squamous cell carcinoma but there's been no more problems. He walks very well without the toe, and in fact as soon as it was off he improved. He was back to himself within a week or two. Hope it's the same situation with your girlie Misty!

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest OMGiluvgreys

Good news, no cancer and no bone infection. It was an inclusion cyst that hardened around the bone. Only way to remove it was to remove the toe. Good part was she only had to take up to the 1st knuckle. So with Misty's long toes it doesn't look to bad .

Good news, no cancer and no bone infection. It was an inclusion cyst that hardened around the bone. Only way to remove it was to remove the toe. Good part was she only had to take up to the 1st knuckle. So with Misty's long toes it doesn't look to bad .

Great news! :yay

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

That is great news!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Smiley

Oh thank goodness! I am very relieved! :colgate As someone who had a pup with a toe amputation, one thing we learned post-op was to stick with leash only walks for as long as you can. We had a few issues with popped stitches and this was the only way to keep those darn things in so the incision could heal. Give Misty a big hug for us!

Guest Heehoo

That is fantastic news!!! She won't even notice the toe is gone, if anything its a pain in the butt for her. Great news!!! Thanks for sharing!!!