A Sutra Update

Sutra continues to do well...he is eating, drinking, walking (with ZERO limp), gets up on the bed with me at night (I don't let him jump down in the morning and he has learned to wait for me), and is actually even sassier than he was before he injured himself, which, is both endearing and hilarious :wub:

His FNA path report noted the presence of spindle cells. However, the lab mentioned some oddities about his sample - something about clumping of cells, and something about there not being as many as they normally see in a sample. Those oddities could be due to a lot of things...how the slides were prepared, how good the sample actually was (the vet said he did have a hard time getting that needle through the outer bone because it's still VERY strong).

Physically, we do not believe he is a candidate for amputation. His hind end, while I wouldn't call it weak, has some moments of wonky-ness. That, coupled with his laryngeal paralysis, make me hesitate big time. Both of our vets agree.

Internally, he is mostly well. His most recent labs showed a mild increase in alkaline phosphatase. His kidneys are good, great actually - better than they were in January. Everything is within normal range there. One of his liver enzymes was up just a hair, but it was like one number above the high end of the threshold. He is taking denamarin to support his liver though, since he is on Deramaxx.

So, internally, we aren't sure if he would handle any sort of chemo well.

I have an email out to Dr. Marin and Dr. Couto asking about chemo without amputation, or using artemisinin (a GT angel is sending us some) and Fosamax. His labs showed that he is trying to produce bone. I don't know if that's something that's typically seen with osteo or not.

I know a few of you have had dogs that weren't candidates for amputation - what was your treatment protocol, and, if you don't mind sharing, how bad off was your pup when he/she was diagnosed?

He's doing so well right now, I hope we can keep it going and that the other shoe isn't about to drop...:unsure We just love on him as much as we can in the meantime. I am going to contact the photographer that did the photos of my pups before I had Sutra to see if we can get a new family photo taken, as well as some individual shots of each of the pups, and Ace and Fritz together (they're sister and brother). I want to get them done while he still feels well and has the happiness in his eyes :wub:

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I'm glad he's doing well. Hope that continues for a long long long time.

Scritchies to handsome man and his housemates.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm glad to hear he's doing so well and hope you have lots of wonderful days ahead. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest SusanP

I'm glad things are going well for now. It sounds like you are making clear-headed, carefully researched decisions for him. :grouphug to you all.

Guest Energy11

Glad he is feeling so well! That is GREAT!

Our Max was diagnosed with Osteo VERY early. I saw the limp, and he went for xrays (*I worked for my vet at the time), so he went a while without much pain. Once the pain worsened, he got Deramaxx and Tramadol. He made it almost three months after his diagnosis. He was even well enough to take the trip up to move the mountains with us!

I hope your Sutra has lots of pain-free days and lots and lots and lots of time with you!

Sending many prayers!

It's so good to hear he's doing so well, may it continue for a long time.

No experience here, but please know he remains in my prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I hesitate to post anything too enlightening, because I'm afraid as soon as I start bragging about how good he's doing, something bad will happen.

But, he's doing well. He is eating well (kibble too - I haven't had to bribe him to eat with mac and cheese, etc. but once or twice), has his happy attitude and is NOT, I repeat, NOT limping at all. He is only taking 50mg Deramaxx once daily.

We will be starting him on the artemisinin tomorrow. Dr. Couto said to give it with PB or cheese, no meat. Think a fig newton will be okay? He is not much for taking pills with peanut butter, and cheese is not very reliable either.

Any time I go to the pantry, he is watching me (that's where his beloved fig newtons are kept). If I take anything out for myself, he bugs me until I get him a fig newton :lol He will roo at me and huff and puff :wub: I am certain that I'm teaching him bad habits, but, really he can get away with anything as long as he feels good :nod

I am going to try to get some good pictures of him in the coming days (it's been rainy out, so I may wait until Friday when it's supposed to be sunny again), I will post them in cute and funny :)

Thank you all for your continued prayers for my sweet old man. We are living life to the fullest B)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Guest TeddysMom

I hesitate to post anything too enlightening, because I'm afraid as soon as I start bragging about how good he's doing, something bad will happen.

But, he's doing well. He is eating well (kibble too - I haven't had to bribe him to eat with mac and cheese, etc. but once or twice), has his happy attitude and is NOT, I repeat, NOT limping at all. He is only taking 50mg Deramaxx once daily.

We will be starting him on the artemisinin tomorrow. Dr. Couto said to give it with PB or cheese, no meat. Think a fig newton will be okay? He is not much for taking pills with peanut butter, and cheese is not very reliable either.

Any time I go to the pantry, he is watching me (that's where his beloved fig newtons are kept). If I take anything out for myself, he bugs me until I get him a fig newton :lol He will roo at me and huff and puff :wub: I am certain that I'm teaching him bad habits, but, really he can get away with anything as long as he feels good :nod

I am going to try to get some good pictures of him in the coming days (it's been rainy out, so I may wait until Friday when it's supposed to be sunny again), I will post them in cute and funny :)

Thank you all for your continued prayers for my sweet old man. We are living life to the fullest B)

That is about all you can do. Let him do what he loves doing when he wants to, eat whatever he will, spoil him, love him unconditionaly. Try to make every day of his life a special adventure then when he has to leave you, you have a lot less guilt just sorrow from missing him.

Guest SusanP

It sounds like he's really taking to all the spoiling. Bad habits? I'd say go ahead and keep that boy smiling! How old is Sutra, Kristen? (Just curious).

Susan, he's 12. He will be 13 on December 2nd :)

He took his artemisinin with peanut butter this morning :yay

I'm just amazed - you would never know there is anything wrong with him if you didn't know :blink:

Just sending you prayers and good wishes, Kristin, as you travel this road with Sutra. "His beloved Fig Newtons" !!! blush.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Kristin, glad to hear he continues to do so well! THat really is awesome and I hope you have a lot of time left with him.

So does this mean that Dr. C saw the last report and still agrees it's osteo?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Actually, no. Dr. Marin replied to me yesterday but did not say anything about what the pathology report said...so I emailed her back.

Personally, and I'm no doctor, but, after seeing the digital xrays at the vet's office, since the FNA did not reveal a fungus or any sort of infection, the xrays really look like osteo to me. :nod

I have known of dogs whose tumors actually shrunk while taking artemisinin. We can only hope.

The path report mentioned proliferative new bone, which, I couldn't find any information on (that's what it COULD be if it's not cancer, according to the report).

The artemisinin won't *hurt* so we're starting it...I'm getting tired of waiting, and it seems as though we'll never really have an absolute diagnosis unless we do the core biopsy or do an amputation and send the leg off. I'm not doing either of those for sure.

Sounds like he's doing well, all things considered. I hope and pray he continues to do well for a very long time.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Actually, no. Dr. Marin replied to me yesterday but did not say anything about what the pathology report said...so I emailed her back.

Personally, and I'm no doctor, but, after seeing the digital xrays at the vet's office, since the FNA did not reveal a fungus or any sort of infection, the xrays really look like osteo to me. :nod

I have known of dogs whose tumors actually shrunk while taking artemisinin. We can only hope.

The path report mentioned proliferative new bone, which, I couldn't find any information on (that's what it COULD be if it's not cancer, according to the report).

The artemisinin won't *hurt* so we're starting it...I'm getting tired of waiting, and it seems as though we'll never really have an absolute diagnosis unless we do the core biopsy or do an amputation and send the leg off. I'm not doing either of those for sure.

Makes sense to me. I'm just asking b/c it's a somewhat unusual case and well, I'm curious. And I like answers. ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I don't have much to add except that one thing that worked with Mara for taking pills was brie cheese. Yes, brie. It sounds like Sutra is taking the PB, but just in case he decides he doesn't like it, there's always that option.

Here's hoping he continues to do well and that the artemisinin works!

ETA: Carol not Ryan...time to log out and log back in :)

Edited by RyanUOP06

I like answers too, Jen...and yees, this case is somewhat unusual. I wouldn't expect anything less of my old man, though :wub: He is an anomaly, for sure :lol

He has beaten the odds once with me, I am hoping he has many more happy days of pilfering fig newtons ;)

I hope you have many more happy days with Sutra and that he continues to do well.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest bigorangedog

Artemisinin definitely can't hurt, so give it a shot. I give Apollo 200mg once a day with a piece of cheese or PB (it should be given on an empty stomach with a high-fat, low-iron treat).

When Whitey's cancer came back, and we obviously couldn't amputate the OTHER leg, his drug regimen was:

The Metronomic protocol - (an NSAID [Deramaxx for us], Alendronate [Fosamax], Cyclophosphamide, and Doxycycline)

Low-dose Natrexone (suggested by a GTer here, experimental, figured it couldn't hurt)

Artemesinin

A multivitamin to boost the immune system

And two other pain meds as needed (Tramadol and Gabapentin)

You might ask about doing the Metronomic protocol for Sutra. Definitely the Alendronate sounds like a good idea. Whitey hung in there longer than anyone expected on this regimen with good quality of life, but in part that was his spunky personality I think and his will to keep on trucking.

:nod Sutra definitely has that will to keep on truckin' too :wub:

Dr. Marin still has not answered me when I emailed back to ask what they thought of his path report. <_<

I will email again and ask about the metronomic protocol.

What does naltrexone do?

Guest Energy11

..."What does naltrexone do?"...

It is used to help treat alcoholism and Opioid drug dependance, but at LOW does, apparently it helps treat certain types of cancer, see below:

The off-label protocol referred to as Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) modulates the immune system and promotes healing. Relying on clinical trial results and interviews with the leading LDN researchers worldwide, we describe the history of LDN and explain its biochemical and molecular effects. In clinical trials, LDN has been shown to halt disease progression in Crohn’s disease and certain cancers, including pancreatic cancer, and to reduce symptoms in multiple sclerosis (MS) and autism. Ongoing trials are evaluating LDN in fibromyalgia and HIV/AIDS. Anecdotally, LDN has been shown to improve almost every autoimmune and neurodegenerative condition, including Parkinson’s disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).

For what it's worth, I think you're doing the right thing Kristin. Just please love that boy so damn much. This is precious time, don't waste a second of it. I am so glad he's feeling good still, I hope he has many, many, many more good days. Take care and give him and the rest of the crew a kiss fro me.:grouphug

Edited by RileysMomma