Pa's Formula One (Cougar)

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Guest TaraCoachCougar

I've put it off long enough so here goes...

Cougar was born September 26, 1996. His right ear tattoo was 96A and his left ear tattoo was 60705. We adopted him in May 2000 from Greyhound Friends of North Carolina but had to travel to Greenville, SC to pick him up from his foster home. It was the weekend the pedestrian bridge fell at Charlotte Motor Speedway because we had traveled beneath it on the way back from picking him up. He was a big muscular red fawn boy with the prettiest eye liner and dark nose. Although Coach let him know right away there would be no greyhound snuggling, he began a relationship with his new sister that I always described as "tolerated each other well." One snarf fight over some cookies early on and one middle of the night landing on top of that resulted in lots of blood on Coach's part was the extent of their run-ins over the nine years they lived together.

Cougar was the food hound and counter surfer in our house. Many times he fooled the dogsitters into leaving bread or something similar on top of the microwave instead of putting it inside and was then able to chow down. Cougar was also my snuggler. It took several months before the dogs began getting on our bed, but once it started we had to upgrade to a king size pretty quickly. Cougar would lay either sideways across the pillows or long ways like another person. He had no problem roaching and then letting all 4 legs fall across our bodies to sleep. He would also lay his head across my neck at night to stay snuggled up to me.

Although he wasn't wild about water, Cougar had the opportunity to experience the beach once and always loved riding our pontoon boat on the lake. He was my goofy boy and very, very outgoing. Always wagging his tail at the vets and greeting visitors with a nose to their rear. In the younger years, Cougs would tear a stuffie apart in a heartbeat to get the squeaker. He also tore up many a comforter and dog bed until I found a shreadproof bed from Drs. Foster and Smith for his crate.

Cougar was my accident prone kid. He was the one that would rip a toenail off flying down the pier. He was the one that slid under the door ripping skin off his ankle after we replaced the carpet with wood laminate. He was also the one that developed corns somewhere around early 2007. He was the one that had to go to NC State for internal bleeding back in 2003. Poor Cougs developed a hemangiosarcoma on his spleen and had to have it removed in June 2009. He went through chemo like a trooper. In early 2009, his gait had changed and he began the long slow battle with lumbo-sacral stenosis which eventually lead to the heart-breaking decision to say goodbye on Valentine's Day, 2010.

Cougs was my lovable boy who was always very, very good unless food was involved.

After we said goodbye to Cougs, my husband reminded me that I had told Cougs that I needed him to hang around for at least a year after we had to say goodbye to Coach due to osteosarcoma. I held true to that and gave me a year and 2 days! I loved that boy with all of my heart.

Until we meet again buddy, momma loves.

Cougar sounds like a wonderful boy. I'm sorry he had to leave you. Farewell Cougar.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Your words made him come alive to me. :wub:

I'm sorry he couldn't stay longer with you.

Rest well, special boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

One of life's characters with just the right mix of "mush and michief". I am so sorry for your loss. grouphug.gif

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

What a wonderful tribute! I am so sorry for your loss.

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 I'm glad you told us about your special boy.

Godspeed Cougar.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

:grouphug It obvious how very loved he was and how much you miss him. :cry1

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

He sounds like one in a million. I am sorry he had to leave.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Oh Tara, I am so very sorry for the loss of your beloved Cougar. :grouphug :grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Lovely tribute for your boy.

Say not in grief, "he is no more," but live in thankfulness that he was. ~ Hebrew proverb

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

That was such a nice tribute. I've written enough of them that I know how hard it is, and how much it aches to even write it. But it also shows how much he meant to you.

Hugs...

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

I'm so sorry for your loss. :(:grouphug

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest ss556

What a sweet boy. I am so glad he was able to stay with you for that last year. Hugs to you - run free sweetheart.