Guilt And Loss

Guest Layla_mom

Many of us have been there and these feeling are totally normal. You made the most caring decision possible and turned her pain into yours. May you find peace in the this most difficult decision. In my case, the second guessing will pass, the feeling of loss takes a lot longer. Remember, she is in your heart and lives on there forever.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry you lost your sweet girl. You gave her the last, most precious and selfless gift that we cannot extend to our human loved ones - release from pain and suffering. I know it's hard, but you did the right thing. Gospeed to your Layla. Comfort and understanding to you.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

The decision is gut wrenching, but you did the right thing. She is not in pain any more. I too know exactly how you feel. Before I made my decision (5 years ago) I contacted an animal communicator. I just had to check out all avenues to make sure I was making the right decision. I knew what had to be done, all the signs were there, my girl was in pain, she could hardly stand up, she was incontinent, she couldn't get in the car, she bit the vet. But I too kept thinking - oh, today she seemed OK for a short while, maybe its not time. Someone mentioned "Better a day to early than a day too late" In hindsight, perhaps I waited too long, because I didn't want to feel the pain of losing my girl that I had had for over 16 years.

Your sweet girl knows how much she was loved. I pray that you can get some peace from all the support you are getting here, and that you will get a sign from your Angel Layla that she is ok.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

If it was an easy decision, it wouldn't hurt so much... :( But it was the right one. You are right, your girl trusted you with everything and we are able to make that final decision for them, as awful as it is to make. Her life was well-lived, well-loved with you - and her passing was with you too, also full of love. You will cry lots, and it will help a little. some days you'll feel better and smile a little at some of the memories, and then some days, there will be tears again. And that's all okay - you have lost part of yourself and it's okay to grieve for the huge part that is missing from your life.

I just wanted to let you know it's okay to grieve, and to doubt yourself and to wonder...it's because you love her. But it was the right thing, the right time.

When you can, we'd love to see some pics of your precious girl...

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

You gave the ultimate gift of love....freedom from something heinous that you couldn't fix. That no mortal could fix. It's one of the hardest things in the world and one of the most self-less,

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest SpicyMom

You are so brave. You made the ultimate loving sacrifice. You thought more about your beloved than yourself.

Guest Adrianne

You described absolutely everything I felt when I said goodbye to Wilbur; it was hemangio with him too. I too thought we were getting ready to move past inconclusive, and everything happened so fast. It's hard to process everything when it happens so fast and when it hurts the heart so much. I thought the guilt would eat me alive. It gets easier, and with time, the guilt lessens, and it's a bit easier to see that the right thing was done.

You have my most heartfelt condolences. I know the shock and grief you're feeling right now. I'm so very sorry.

I am crying reading your story, and my heart is breaking for you. You did the right thing for Layla, as difficult was it was. Remember, that missing someone is a way of keeping them with us even when they are not. She's still with you. bighug.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry. :(:grouphug

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I'm so sorry for your loss & your pain. Your girl is out of pain & at peace. That is a tremendous gift you gave her today. If she could, she'd lick your tears away & thank you. grouphug.gif Godspeed sweetheart! flowers_yellow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest budsmom

I'm in tears along with you. I so wish that nobody ever had to make this decision and go through this pain. I can feel the love you had for Layla in every word of your post and that's why you made the decision you did. You loved her so much that you took her pain on yourself so that she wouldn't hurt anymore. grouphug.gifgrouphug.gif

flowers_pink.gifflowers_pink.gif

At a moment when you wanted nothing more than to hang onto your girl and keep her with you forever, you made the best decision for her that could possibly be made. You inflicted this intolerable pain on yourself in order to spare her from more pain.

Never, ever doubt that you made the best decision for her today. She counted on you to take care of her, and you did just what she needed you to do.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Flysmom

I am so very, very sorry!

You wrote exactly how I felt last March when I had to let Fly go. You DID the right thing, you let her go and yes, she Layla is in a better place. No more pain, no more confusion, no more fear.

Please, don't second guess yourself, you will drive yourself crazy. I know, easier said than done, but I have been there and it is not healthy! It will however slowly get better, give yourself time.

I've had two dogs with hemangiosarcoma (a greyhound and a weimaraner) and I've had to make the same decision you just faced and had the same feelings you described. I also live by myself so I know how very deeply alone that can feel when you're grieving. I'm glad you were able to reach out to us. No one who reads your words could doubt you loved her with all your heart, did everything you could to help her and in the end made this most difficult of decisions out of your love for her.

I'm so very sorry for your loss and pain. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest jenznaz

I know EXACTLY how you feel right now...I went through the same thing with my Naz, the confusion and guilt and pain. But you did the right thing for your baby...dogs live in the moment, and at that moment, she knew how much you loved her.

My vet comforted me by actually thanking me for making the most difficult decision I've ever had to make, she said, "so many people wait too long when their dog is in pain, because they themselves are in pain".

*hugs* i know it's not enough...everyday gets a little easier...

Jen

Guest isntitgreyt

I am so sorry for your loss. You made the right decision and she is now pain free and in a better place. My heart goes out to you.

Guest AmandaTolleson

:cry1 I am so so sorry....

I know how you feel. While Lucy died at home on her own. I still feel similar feelings about what I could have done. Should have done. Should not have done. If I had done anything different would my sweet dear baby girl still be here with me now? It's a horrible feeling and I couldn't control my sobbing for so long. But I can promise you that even though it hurts so much. It does get a little better each day.

And you did the right thing. Because you loved her. And how could love be wrong?

Guest Shana

And you did the right thing. Because you loved her. And how could love be wrong?

Love is never wrong.

Godspeed Layla, you're free now baby girl

{{Hugs}}

Guest StagnBob

I am so deeply sorry for your loss. You have put into words exactly the feelings I have been going through this last week. So much of your story rings true with what we went through with Bob, his scan showed an enlarged spleen too, but we suspect his tumour was in his brain.

I totally empathise with what you are going through, we did the best we could for our hounds. I'm sure putting your inner most thoughts down on here will help ease your obvious pain, in time.

Thinking of you as this very sad time

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your unselfish act of letting her go was the right thing to do. It was time to release her from the pain and fear she was living with. She knew how much you loved her; and thanked you, I'm sure, with her last breath for giving her the peace she needed.

:f_pink Keep your memories close. You'll feel her presence and love in them. :f_pink

gallery_21421_3253_11008.jpg

Barb, Mom to Grey's Tickertape & Grey's McCarthy.
Always missing: Wizzie and Desi

I'm so very sorry. I think you did the right thing. Your sweet girl left this world knowing she was very, very loved. Hugs to you. GodSpeed Layla.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

I am so sorry. You did the right thing. You said that writing it down helps, and the way you skillfully put your feelings into words very much describes the way many of us have felt at one time or another. We are here for you, so lean on us when you need to. :grouphug

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.