Guilt And Loss

Guest Layla_mom

Oh my gosh, I wept reading your post. I, too, believe that you did the right thing. I'm one of those people that has a really hard time with these decisions and hangs on too hard and probably too long. You did the unselfish thing to let go when you did. To have brought Layla home would have only been for you--not for her.

:grouphug:f_pink:grouphug

Donna

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry for your loss. I, too, agree that you did the right thing. I think that we all have guilt and doubt about whatever decisions we make

with our pets. It's a natural process because we love them so much and can't imagine life without them. You will get through this and, please

know that she knew she was loved very much and in the best hands possible.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

I am so very sorry for your loss, please don't doubt that you did the right thing, it is never harder to be a grown-up that at times like these, but someone has to be the person kind enough to put an end to suffering. I'm sorry it had to be you this time, but you did what you had to, and you had to be strong, and I know it is hard. It's ok to fall apart afterwards, it's ok to cry, but don't second guess yourself, dogs don't care how long they live, they only care that the life they have is a good one, and you provided that, a good life for your girl. I know it's a big deal right now, but it will get better, hugs to you.

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

It's so heartbreaking to know that you are feeling so much pain, not only from the loss of your precious Layla, but from your feelings of doubt and uncertainty. So many of us have echoed those feelings, and we can only assure you that they are normal, and part of the process that we must go through in order to grieve in whatever way we can.

Sharing your sadness, and sending you healing light.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Your pain is in every word written. Honestly the decision you made was right for her.......

Please don't hurt yourself by feeling guilty.

Allow yourself to grieve.

Sending our deepest sympathy... so very sorry for your loss :(

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest lynne893

We are here for you. You are not alone, not at all. In heart and in spirit, we have been there with our pups, and we hurt with you, for you.

You made the best, right decision for Layla. You made that decision out of love and concern, just as you've made every other decision for her, ever. It hurts, a lot, but you made the right decision. And you spared her the ultimate worst pain.

I am so, so sorry for your horrible loss. Please take time to grieve and heal. You need time. We will be here for you. I know how much it hurts.

Guest arlosmom

Sweetie, you absolutely did the right thing. It is so hard to know exactly when the right time is but now she is free from her hurt and waits lovingly for you at the Bridge. Much love to you. It will get better over time. :f_white:bighug

Guest ss556

I know the confusion, disbelief, shock and horror of making that sudden decision. I lost Alan to hemangio. You did the right thing - she would not get better. You mustn't beat yourself up. You miss her and you will, but she is pain free now and she knew you did best by her. Hugs. I'm so very sorry.

Guest AnnesMenagerie

They give us so much while they are with us - the last, greatest gift we can give them is to free them from their pain.

flowers_yellow.gif

Guest bigbrindlebunny

You do the best you can under horrible circumstances at these times. Please, no guilt, no second guessing, you did the right thing. The only thing.

You're suffering enough as it is without reliving those moments over and over in your mind.

Guest MyBoys

I am so very sorry, I sit here wiping the tears after reading your post, because you are hurting so very much. You put into words what so many of us have felt after having to make that dreadful decision to allow our beloved friends to cross the bridge. I think the feeling of guilt is normal because as humans we always second guess ourselves, but you know your sweet girl was in so much pain and your decision to free her of that pain was made out of sheer love for her. You were her Mom, her best friend and her protector, she needed you to make the right decision, which is what you did. My vet once said to me after having to make the same decision, it is the final act of kindness and love that we allow our pets to leave this world, but we will always carry them in our hearts. Please let your guilt go and just allow yourself however much time you need to grieve, she will always be with you.

I am so very sorry, I sit here wiping the tears after reading your post, because you are hurting so very much. You put into words what so many of us have felt after having to make that dreadful decision to allow our beloved friends to cross the bridge. I think the feeling of guilt is normal because as humans we always second guess ourselves, but you know your sweet girl was in so much pain and your decision to free her of that pain was made out of sheer love for her. You were her Mom, her best friend and her protector, she needed you to make the right decision, which is what you did. My vet once said to me after having to make the same decision, it is the final act of kindness and love that we allow our pets to leave this world, but we will always carry them in our hearts. Please let your guilt go and just allow yourself however much time you need to grieve, she will always be with you.

So very well put.

I went through something similar in losing Thane. How could I not have known that he had been sick with kidney cancer for a very long time. He was so stoic. I had to let him go as soon as I saw it on the ultrasound. My husband never got to say goodbye to him. It was the longest drive home ever.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I wonder how many of us are reading this and are thinking, this is me, this is what I felt, what I feel, what I still feel.

If only there was no guilt, but then I believe it would hurt just as much.

You obviously love your girl, she loves you, and what you did for her was a very selfless act out of love. I am so sorry.

God speed to you baby girl, knowing how much you are truly loved. Watch over your mom who is left behind with a broken heart.

Help her to heal, as only you can

Claudia said it all.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

I am very sorry you had to let your girl go. Do not blame yourself for making the right decision. Many of us have had to make similar ones, it is never easy and yet it is what is best for them. We love them till they leave us, and then we love them even more for sharing their lives with us.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

you made the right decision.

I've lost 2 to spleenic cancer (hemangio and fibro)

I waited too long with Pearl because we were hoping the chemo would kick in. It didn't.

Brindle was let go on the surgery table.

I also just lost another to OS. I just brought Diamond in for an xray. That's all. She just took a tumble or something. She just needed to rest. She was going to come home and be fine.

OS was in another of her remaining three legs. I let her go right there on the xray table. It sucked.

The first thing I thought of was Romans 13:10....."Love does no harm...love is the fulfillment of the law." You acted out of love and God's own Word says to do so is the highest and best we can do and causes no harm. It is a normal human emotion to have such thoughts but listen to your heart. You heart knows and your girl knows that you did the best and highest thing for her-something that required so much courage that only love was strong enough to power it. My deepest sympathy.

flowers_red.gifghlay.gifflowers_red.gif

Edited by racindog

I'm so very sorry about Layla. I know how you must feel but you did the right thing. Your baby girl wasn't going to get better and you couldn't let her get worse.

Hugs to you

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest TahoeMom

It's not in the least trivial the decisions that need to be made for our pups at the end. Do we keep them with us until the very end, counting on nature to provide a magical doggie anesthetic? I don't think their bodies are that sophisticated. Ours aren't. If there is blood, there must be doggie pain too. It's just so damn hard for us to see them go, because we don't want to lose them.

Somebody told me when I euthanized Tahoe that I had given him the kindest bit of love...I say that now to you. You did the right thing.

Guest SkipperAnnie

oh no - I feel like you were in my shoes 90 days ago...I went through a very similar situation and have second guessed my decision every single day since then...although I know in my heart it was the right thing to do, I also saw those moments of clarity and calm and after some time I realized my state of denial was very deep. I still hear the echos of her walking around, but I know it was the right thing for her. I still cry every day, but I know she's not in pain and I made the right decision. Your brain is telling you it was the right thing, but right now your heart is broken. You gave her everything including setting her free of pain...many hugs to you. My heart hurts for you. You did the right thing.