I Was Bereft Without My Broodies

Miss Pinky Baker!

GRAPinky2.jpg

Miss Pinky Baker raced for a couple of years, and then started her second career as a broodmom--so far, there are 5 pups from two litters on listed on greyhound-data and GreyMatter. Although she's younger than the rest of my grey girls (just 8), she shares the other four characteristics that they have in common: female, brindle, grey face, and fuzzy butt. (Graham is an outlier. :P)

She arrived at GRA Canada in late March. Last week I was finding the house a bit empty after losing Tally, and I was missing not only Tally but my broodies Cora and Piper, so I was admiring the broodies available at various agencies. I had no intention of following through. But then GTer DorasMom, who volunteers at GRA, warned me to stay away from the kennel or Miss Pinky Baker would end up in my car. We were joking about this warning, and things got out of hand. I ended up having to call Bill of GRA to tell him I wasn't ready to do anything. Somehow, by the end of the conversation, Miss Pinky Baker was marked Adopted. I was going to have to call back and insist that I was not going to adopt her.

I couldn't do it.

So on Sunday April 11, Miss Pinky Baker came home. The meetings with her new sisters and brother went well, and while she is interested in the kitties, she can be distracted. On Monday she met her vet and had a bath. After two days of excitement--and way too much time on her feet--she's a bit sore (pads and shoulders, I think). She's eating and taking treats. She can't decide whether to be a Velcro dog or Dora the Explorer. I fear there may be a bit of bad girl in there; I hope it isn't too intense. She and Graham have bonded, but his intentions are not entirely honourable (she was spayed late last week). She's observant and smart and responsive and tolerant and I think she'll fit right in.

I wouldn't name a dog Pinky, but I love the name Miss Pinky Baker: it makes me think of a burlesque queen or a New York heiress who summers in the Hamptons. Others have suggested brothel manager or race car driver, and almost everyone I've told has smiled. So she will be Miss Pinky Baker, and, for short, Pink: "Let's Get This Party Started!"

I haven't managed to get any good pics of her at home yet because she's still tense, but here are some from the kennel and a few from her first day or so here.

Meeting her new Mom:

PBIntro01.jpg

DorasMom's daughter Mary thought Miss Pinky Baker should have a suitable outfit for the initial meeting:

PBIntro02.jpg

I loved Mary's gesture, but Pink seemed unimpressed:

PBIntro03.jpg

Going for a walk at GRA:

PBIntro04.jpg

"OK, I'm ready to go home."

PBIntro05.jpg

Stressed in the car. She nested up the all the seat coverings; I had to pull over and grab stuff from the trunk so she wouldn't dig right through the seat:

PBIntro06.jpg

Stressed in her crate:

PBIntro07.jpg

"I may look happy, but I'm just trying to figure out where I am."

PBIntro08.jpg

I love the snazzy sock on her left front foot:

PBIntro09.jpg

She was stepping on her leash, so I removed it in favour of her muzzle. This is the look I got:

PBIntro10.jpg

Now I know why her muzzle is all battered and taped--"I hate this %)&%)W#%*&) thing. Get it off me!":

PBIntro11.jpg

The muzzle did help with one thing: she finally--after two days--agreed to try one of the dog beds. I switched her back to the leash and stayed with her for quite a while. When I got up to do a couple of things in the kitchen, she followed:

PBIntro12.jpg

She likes treats:

PBIntro13.jpg

My good camera suddenly became cranky, so the only photo I have of her on the beds is this rotten cell phone pic:

PBIntro14.jpg

Welcome Home, Miss Pinky Baker!

:confetti :confetti :confetti

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hannahmom

Dear Miss Baker,

I am very pleased to help welcome you home.

I can't wait to see you in the jigsaw pictures on the dog beds. I wonder who you will fit with?

:confetti for the newest Poopette !!!!!

"brothel manager" -- :rofl

She is adorable.

Congratulations!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Welcome home, Pinky! :confetti

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

What a gorgeous lady and the greatest name ever! At least there's no question about what color she should be wearing. :)

Wow, I see she's a TNT Star Wars baby too ... Beth says hi to her half-sister! I see traces of similarity in their faces.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Welcome Pinky! confetti.gif The party has indeed started! bannana.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest goofydog

I can't tell you how happy this news makes me :yay Goose bumps on the arms HAPPY!

A little background on Pink> Mary (Rickiesmom) alerted me to Miss Pinky and Blondie on a farm in FL and the owner was trying to sell them for $100 each. Mary contacted him to see if he would pet them out and he agreed. Then I started trying to find a group and transportation. I contacted Melony in Bham and she just happened to have 2 slots open for her Canada run coming up in 1.5 weeks :thumbs-up. Couldn't find private transport so I contacted a hauler who would be near them and he agreed to a discounted rate. He picked them up on Thursday evening and deposited them in Bham later that night and the rest, as they say is history :mexi2

I love that we'll have lots of pics and get to see her settle into a life of total pampering. Thanks!

ETA: She and Get Em share a papa too.

Edited by goofydog

A little background on Pink

Thank you--and everybody else involved--so much!!

[Last week I saw the request for transport elsewhere; have not been back there to update but I will.]

The other broodie, Cajun Blond, is safe and happy at GRA. As of Sunday morning she had not been adopted, but I'm sure she'll find a good home soon. She has wonderful eyes.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)