Help - Dried Blood All Over Sam

Just got in from work about 90 minutes ago. Let the hounds, they all did their business - nothing seemed unusual. Then they came in and I got their dinners ready. Daisy is a picky eater and I often end up sitting beside her until she eats. As I was sitting there, Sam walked over towards me and I noticed. There was dried blood on his chest, down one leg and a little around his mouth. I washed him down with cool water, trying to find the cut - Sam has really thin skin and I thought I would be heading in with him to get stitches. Nothing - no cut - not even a little scratch.

Started looking further and there was dried blood on two areas of the couch - quite a bit of blood. Two spots that were at least three inches in diamter and blood smeared on both arms of the couch. I checked his mouth - no sign of bleeding - gums looks a little paler than normal - but nothing serious. Checked his muzzle - no sign of blood there either.

He seems fine - a little snappy with the others maybe but other than that fine. Ate supper, is resting on the couch, no apparent uncomfort when I checked him out all over. Stomach not distended - everything seems normal.

Do I get him to the e-vet - I wouldn't even know what to tell them to look for. Does anyone have any ideas where the blood could have come from? I'm stumped and have to admit, more than a little scared!

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

If it were me I wouldn't go to the Evet unless you can find something. Just keep an eye on him for tonight. Could he have had a bloody nose?

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Did you check the others too?

Wait a few hours and check him again. Punctures have a habit of opening up. It could be his mouth and you may never find it. I would drop him at the vet tomorrow and have them take a look.

Of course, if anything changes, take him to the evet.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Energy11

" ... gums looks a little paler than normal - but nothing serious..."

Hello! I am sorry you had to come home to this, and yes, it is scary!

Bleeding without signs of trauma (a cut or gash, etc.), obviously isn't normal. Did you check his feet, in case of a cut pad or pulled out nail? Did you check his mouth for a cut tongue, broken tooth, etc. ?

If another head to toe survey reveals NOTHING obvious, I might get to a vet. Your statement about the gums being paler than normal, worries me a bit. This might indicate internal bleeding. Him being "snappy" toward the others, could indicate pain, as well.

This is a tough one to call, but, I'd check everything over again, head to toe, inside the ears, mouth, end of tail, and, go from there.

Sending lots of hugs and prayers your way! Dee and The Five

One time we came home and Brandy was covered, I mean covered in blood. Both she and John E were crated at the time. We washed her down with cloths and could find nothing. Gave them dinner and John E started wagging his tail and the blood went flying. He had ripped the skin and fur from his undertail somehow in the crate; wound up losing about an inch. So, I am saying, maybe it isn't Sam.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Energy11

One time we came home and Brandy was covered, I mean covered in blood. Both she and John E were crated at the time. We washed her down with cloths and could find nothing. Gave them dinner and John E started wagging his tail and the blood went flying. He had ripped the skin and fur from his undertail somehow in the crate; wound up losing about an inch. So, I am saying, maybe it isn't Sam.

Good point! Guess a good head-to-toe survey, inside the mouth, ears, and the feet, is in order for all the houndies in Sam's house !

Wet a towel (or a paper towel) and wipe him down carefully all over (don't scrub hard or anything). As you wipe, keep checking the towel for new signs of blood. The dampness of the towel might dislodge (or dissolve) a slight scab, and then you'd be able to see what needs to be done.

Try a damp paper towel or cotton ball to wipe inside his mouth.

Oh, and check his ears. And look around the house to see if you see splatter. Small spots of blood would indicate head or tail--a part of the body that could be shaken and sling blood everywhere.

If you find nothing on him, check the others, especially their feet, heads, and tails. Sam might be carting around some transferred blood.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I just checked all the other hounds - nothing - not a scratch or any blood on any of them. I have rechecked Sam - can't see anything on his tongue, his tail, his paws are good and can't see anything in the mouth. He seems to be resting comfortably - nothing seems to hurt when I check him over.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Guest Energy11

I just checked all the other hounds - nothing - not a scratch or any blood on any of them. I have rechecked Sam - can't see anything on his tongue, his tail, his paws are good and can't see anything in the mouth. He seems to be resting comfortably - nothing seems to hurt when I check him over.

You've done a great job!

I'd just keep a VERY close eye on Sam, and, eveyone else ... if something changes, like panting, pacing, whining, GUMS getting paler, etc., then it is time to see the vet. If all goes well tonight, and I surely pray it does, then, a vet visit might be worth it for your and Sam's peace of mind.

Sending many hugs and prayers to you!

Guest greytbookert

oh gosh, I have no idea. you seem to have checked everything that I would have checked. I would keep a very close eye on him. It could be as simple as a little cut that isn't cooperating by hiding. Sending prayers that it is nothing!

Deb, I would be worried and scared too with that amount of blood. Though thorough check of everyone showing nothing is good. Just watch them all carefully I suppose is the only thing to do. If it's any consolation, it's always the smallest cuts that bleed the most, it seems.

Good thoughts coming your way.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

One more thought; a few weeks back the Fuzz Man was leaking bright red blood from his penis. He had blood down his legs, chin and back. Check that too.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

This is just a thought....check the inside of his nose...maybe a wet q-tip to see if any dried blood.

One Christmas my Angel Molly turned her head too fast into the Christmas Tree and she cut the inside of her nostril on a branch......blood everywhere. I came home to blood on the walls, floors, and all down the side of my tan wingchair (thank God for peroxide)where she sat waiting for me to come home.

Hope all is well tonight.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

You first noticed the blood some time after you let them back in, yes? Is the blood on the sofa and the hound the really thick blood characteristic of greyhounds? Or is there a chance it's from some other species, like a rabbit or a bird from the yard?

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest FullMetalFrank

Frank nicked the back of one of his hocks once, right at the bend... Came home to quite a bit of blood and absolutely no sign of injury. I might not have ever found the source if he hadn't knocked the teensy scab off while I was home and started bleeding again!

Guest Annie

Gosh Deb, you guys have been through so much! No thoughts to add to the good advice you have already been given...just sending prayers. :hope:hope:hope

This is just a thought....check the inside of his nose...maybe a wet q-tip to see if any dried blood.

One Christmas my Angel Molly turned her head too fast into the Christmas Tree and she cut the inside of her nostril on a branch......blood everywhere. I came home to blood on the walls, floors, and all down the side of my tan wingchair (thank God for peroxide)where she sat waiting for me to come home.

Hope all is well tonight.

I thought of this as well. Callie tangled with a squirrel a few months ago and received a cut up in her nostril. The amount of blood was incredible with no sign of a scratch or cut anywhere visible on her. She spent some time at the vet where they treated her for the bleeding (which eventually stopped) and gave her a booster Rabies shot. I was out in the yard at the time with the dogs so I was aware of what had happened to her.

You've done a great job of looking for the source. Keep us posted on how your pup is doing.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest greytmiles

You first noticed the blood some time after you let them back in, yes? Is the blood on the sofa and the hound the really thick blood characteristic of greyhounds? Or is there a chance it's from some other species, like a rabbit or a bird from the yard?

This is what I was thinking too...

Maybe check the backyard for any 'evidence'.

Hope he's ok!

Guest MyBoys

Our Murphy got a rabbit the other day, I was outside with them but it all happened so quick, when it was over he did have blood on him which looked like he had been in a fight :yikes

I didn't read all the responses, and maybe someone already mentioned this as a possibility...the same thing happened to Rose. Turns out she was snacking on baby bunnies out in the yard. It's that time of year!

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**