My Sobe Has Cancer

My heart and prayers are with you both. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 2houndsmom

About 6 weeks ago, I posted that Sobe had pulled a muscele and was limping after coming in from a run in the yar(apparently) and a few days later, it had swelled up huge. I was concerned, and took him to the vet. He did a bunch of tests, X-rays, the works, and concluded - badly pulled muscle - broken blood vessels - big heomotoma. Here's some antibiotics, and pain meds. It will take several weeks for the hemotoma to dissipate.

Well... it didn't dissipate. It got bigger. I took him back. The vet shared my concern. This is NOT a hemotoma - what is it? A tumor? No... nothing showing on the bone in the x-rays. So- we sedated him, took a biopsy. The results came back Hemangiosarcoma. Rare - usually presents in Golden Retrievers. The cancer grows in blood vessels in the spleen or stomach - then spreads - and shows tumors in other body parts. Or - starts in the blood vessels in body parts - the BLOWS - and throws up a huge tumor overnight. I felt so guilty --- that I didn't do enough sooner, didn't know that the vet was wrong, and it wasn't a hemotoma. He won't be 9 until next month. NOT that old.

But - after I did my own research. 90% of the time - this cancer is not detectible until it fully metasticizes - throws out its spawn. Visible tumors go from 0 to 5 inches overnight once that happens. Sobe dropped 5 lb. in 3 day. At the next appointments - a week later - 5 more lbs. Still eating his normal amount of food.

Thursday - when the results came back - the vet told me that with the form of cancer - coming on this hard and strong - he may have 7 to 10 DAYS.

This has happened so fast. He only showed a problem 6 weeks ago. And we went through most of that time thinking that it's a bad boo-boo, he'll limp and be sore, but it will be FINE. Now - my dog is DYING. Soon. I've done the research. This is 100% deadly. No surgery, or chemo, or anything will give him recovery.

I'm in shock. I just can't comprehend this. My boy... my grumpy old man... my baby boy ... my FIRST greyhound...is going to die. And there's nothing I can do about it.

I'm keeping him VERY comfortable. Very happy. Switched him to all homecooked beef and chicken. It's all I can do. This is aweful. I'm still in shock.

ETA - I re-read my post... and it's a mess of typos and half-words and mis-spellings...I should fix that - but ...I just don't care. You get the point. It's taken me 4 days to get up the stregnth to post here. To put it in words. Because that makes it more real. It's almost too personal to share - but I wanted to because I know so many others have been through it. So - please pardon my grammar - I really don't give a ** about that right now.

I'm so sorry about your Sobe! I just lost my mixed breed dog,Jake, to the same thing.He lasted 6 weeks from the time of the diagnosis.He had always been healthy so it was such a shock when my vet told me. He had only lost a little weight,5lbs, and his appetite was a little off so I thought it was something simple to take care of. The cancer was in his abdomen and spleen.I know what you are going through and my thoughts are with you.

How is your baby feeling today?

I apologize for not answering sooner. I'm not on GT very often now. Sobe is the same, thank you for asking. He's not going downhill nearly as quickly as the vet thought he would. Possibly due to the no carb- homecooked diet, but I don't know that. He's uncomfortable, but not in much pain. He didn't have any painkillers at all today, and seemed the same.

He paced at the door to go out in the middle of the night last night - and he went TEARING out the door - at a full bore - 3 legged run - the full length of the yard! :eek:eek I guess there was a rabbit at the back fence. Scared the heck outta me :eek - it's just time until that tumor ruptures - and exertion will do it----- then I thought - So what! :angryfire So what if the end comes when he's in full-throttle chase! :angryfire Good for him. :blush I'd rather seem him go down quickly from running and doing what he LOVES!

But he came back in, slowly, limping, and collapsed for 12 hours. He's still hanging in there - and apparently still choosing to have a bit of fun when he wants to. :blush

The tumor on his shoulder is huge now. If I spread my whole hand out wide, I can't touch the width of it. It's far bigger than his shoulder ever was, and the leg beneath it is a stick. And he's so thin. And getting thinner by the day, no matter how much he eats.

But - we'll go down fighting. As long as he still has his spunk - we'll cherish every darn day.

Guest windycove

The same thing happened to my sweet, funny Windy. A little hitch in her giddy-up that did not get better. And then her knee got to be huge. I had no idea what was happening. She was only 5 years old.

Love and spoil your sweet Sobe as much as you can. They are never here long enough.

Prayers surround you.

Edited by windycove

Thinking of you and your darling Sobe tonight........hope he is comfortable. Keeping you both in our prayers.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Just seeing this. I'm so sorry. :grouphug

I lost one to hemangiosarcoma in 2003. A year later my weim was diagnosed almost accidently. She had a chest X ray for something unrelated and there was a tumor visible in one of her lungs and her heart was enlarged. An ultrasound showed an enlarged spleen, but she'd been basically asymptomatic. They gave her 6 weeks if I was lucky. I put her on a zero carb, mostly raw diet and immune boosting supplements and they really helped. Even with tumors in her spleen, heart, and one lung, she responded miraculously well to the diet and supplements and lived without any apparent health problems for 10 1/2 months. At that time she was going into congestive heart failure and a month later I had to let her go. It really was miraculous, but then I found out early because of the X ray. I hope your Sobe has many good days ahead.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Gosh, I am so sorry to see this. :( I just came across this thread otherwise I would have responded earlier. Cherish each moment with that boy and he will let you know when he has had enough. My thoughts are with you both and hoping for many more 'chases' in the days to come.... :hope

Thank you all again for your good wishes. :colgate Sobe's still hanging in there - tough. He's now far exceeded the vet's 7 to 10 day prognosis. He's thinner...but still eating, still wagging his tail, still going outside for potty - only 3 times per day now, but still insisting on going out to the FARTHEST end of he yard to do his business. :eek

He still perks his ears up, and comes for pets. He's on mild painkillers, (I won't do anything stronger), and never whimpers. So, I don't think he's in much pain. Probably some discomfort, but I think the meds cover that.

AND - the brat-boy got into the fridge the other day! :eek We have a child-latch on our fridge because Sobe learned how to open it years ago. Well... we didn't latch it the other evening when we went out - and he opened it! :blink: :blink: Apparently .... he's still got ALL his wits about him! :eek

We came home - saw food - smashed eggs - giant mess - everything all over the floor. Everything in the fridge scattered or eaten....all over the house. And we honestly - laughed. :lol A year ago - we'd have been MAD - at ourselves.... and him. Been there - done that - bought the child latches for the fridge. But now, we just stood there and LAUGHED. :huh Sobe - the dying dog - did this. We laffed out loud ... because it was great to realize....that to his last breath ... Sobe WILL BE Sobe. He was a dog with a LOT of issues when we adoped him - and proved himself to be way smarter than a greyhound "should" be... a "naughty" dog all around. :blush

And....apparently...he's going to be my "bad dog" to the VERY END. :) I truly LOVE that. :colgate How can you ever ask for a dog with that much true personality? :) Dammit - I just LOVE this misfit boy. :huh

Guest Energy11

He has some amazing spirit, for sure! Glad he is hanging in there, and apparently happy. Love the "fridge" story! Hugs to you both!

Praying for you all. hope.gif The next time he gets in the fridge or whatever if you have time snap a picture. That 's what you call a beautiful mess isn't it? Love and gentle hugs to all. grouphug.gif

I agree. Take a picture of the mess if he does it again.

Is it OK to say I'm glad he got to have some extra-special, Sobe-style fun?

Big hugs to all of you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest eaglflyt

Sobe sounds like such a sweetheart and smart fella. I'm so glad his antics have made both of you happy! :inlove

Guest bluefawn

I have been reading this thread and it really tugs at my heart that you are losing your beautiful Sobe. I know what it is like to lose one that fast. I thought I was going to lose my Penny just about 3 weeks ago, and I was out of my mind! My daughter had to come and stay with me. Glad you have DH there with you for strength and support. Don't feel guilty that he wasn't diagnosed sooner - you can't beat yourself up about that. Just give Sobe everything his heart desires right now - and I tell you, that will mostly be having you there close by his side. :) He may not know exactly what is happening to him right now, but he knows that you are taking good care of him! And, as you know, he will let you know when he is ready to go. You're in my prayers and I hope that this wonderful gh community will be an awesome source of strength for you, as they have for me. My Evan was diagnosed on a Friday, and he was gone by the next Wednesday morning. And do take lots of pictures! I wish I had taken more of all of my bridge kids :) Love and hugs from me and Miss P heart.gif

candle.gif Sobe

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest zoolaine

SOBE!!! :kiss2 what a good "naughty" pup you are and :grouphug to you, it is funny how even the crazy, annoying, bad things they do take a whole new meaning when we know their time is limited. Monday evening a stupid cat got in our backyard and Sunny killed it. I just couldn't be mad or upset with him though, since his time here with me is so limited. And even though his back leg is hurting and he is having pain and difficulty walking he had to bring the dead cat up to the patio so I could see it (he had to climb over some junk in the back corner of the yard with the big cat in his mouth)- he was quite proud of himself as horrible as what he did was. (I feel horrible for the poor kitty)

Guest greytexplorer

Praying for you all. hope.gif The next time he gets in the fridge or whatever if you have time snap a picture. That 's what you call a beautiful mess isn't it? Love and gentle hugs to all. grouphug.gif

I agree. Take a picture of the mess if he does it again.

+1 :nod

Sobe: "Look Mama I made you a memory! Now go get the flashybox!"

Sobe will be Sobe til the very end. Gotta luv a dog like that!! :colgate