Blitzen, My Zebra Finch

Guest SoulsMom

Guest SoulsMom

My little zebra finch, Blitzen, flew off to the bridge on Sunday and my house is now far too quiet. He’d taken ill on Wednesday, and I did all I could to help him feel better, but in the end it wasn’t enough :weep

His death hit me harder than I thought it would and I cried all day. It’s amazing how these little creatures wiggle their way into your heart with their huge personalities :heart Sunday morning I found him snuggled up to his millet spray that was closest to the heater fan I had been running for him. When I realized that he was not going to wake up and meep at me I got so upset that I threw a flashlight across the room. The night before Blitzen passed away he sang a little song (the first song in two days) and rang his bell. I took this as a sign that he was getting better, but I now realize that he was saying goodbye :brokenheart

Blitzen, like all my other pets, came to me by accident. He was up for adoption at Petco where I was working a meet and greet. Some kids were terrorizing him and I jokingly said that I would take him. At the end of the day, they handed me my new bird. Since it was right before Christmas I decided to name him Blitzen.

We were both very confused that first day. But the 2nd day he sang to me and started showing his personality. What a personality! I got him a new cage and toys and quickly learned the reason he was up for adoption: Blitzen had been fighting with the other birds. He was all scraggly and when I put a mirror in his cage he decided to ‘fight’ the other bird by body slamming the mirror. I moved the mirror to a position where he would not be able to fight and all was well again. Blitzen loved his baths and always had to announce to the world with a song that a fresh bath was ready. He would do the same with a fresh millet spray or peas. He loved to work on his nest and what a hard little worker he was! I even came to know his ‘frustrated’ sounds when things with his nest weren’t quite going the way he wanted them to . . . . .He knew my voice and would often interact with me when I was talking to him by cocking his head and opening his beak . . .

Oh, I could say so, so many things about Blitzen. He was such a character and he is very, very missed. I can even tell that Soul is depressed, not having Blitzen’s happy song to keep him company during the day. But I am forever thankful for the five accidental years we had together. Fly fast, free and happy Blitzen. Sing a little song to all the houndies at the bridge. We miss you little buddy :beatheart

Blitzen.jpg

Edited by SoulsMom

Amber, I am so sorry. I love finches and had them when I was a teen, I used to love to hear them sing and make their beeping sounds that only they can make. Fly free little one. :f_pink

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Aw, I used to keep zebra finches and I do miss their little meeping and flitting about. It sounds like you and Blitzen had a very special bond. How neat that he worked on his nest even without a mate!

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

I'm so sorry. :cry1

Godspeed Blitzen.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

That was such a sweet tribute. The tears are pouring down my face. He sounds like a character and how lucky to have you and Soul.

Fly free pretty birdie. You will be missed.

:(

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I'm so sorry. Small in size doesn't mean small in friendship or love.

Fly away free, handsome boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Amber I am so very sorry. How lucky Blitzen was that he found you and what a gift he gave back with his sweet song.

:grouphug

fly free Blitzen, and sing for all our angels at the bridge.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Guest lynne893

Amber, that is heartbreaking. Your words are so powerful I feel your loss.

Thank you for wishing that Blitzen would sing for the houndies at the bridge. It is a very comforting thought. May those same hounds amuse and keep Blitzen in good company.