Have I Become Jaded Over The Years?

So last night about 1 in the morning I wake up to a yelp..Tessa hops on the bed but doesn't really lay down like always. So I turn on the light and apparently in the midst of play, someone's claws ripped open about an 8 inch gash on Tessa's side. It isn't bleeding much. So I get up get out the tackle box of stuff and start my doctoring. :lol Cleaned the wound,put the anti-biotic creme, put on a guze pad and wrapped it up in vet wrap. Since it wasn't bleeding and she was pretty calm, and I did what I could, instead of rushing to the E-Vet, I kept her warm and this morning I called the vet and they had an open slot at 8am. So at least no extra charge for an E-Visit. When I got her in to see the vet, she asked how it happened and how long ago. I told her I gave her a Tramadol for pain and she went right to sleep after a few miinutes.

I told her if it was a few inches smaller I would have gotten out the super glue and sealed it but knew the length and position it needed staples. And some anti-biotics. She seemed happy that I was pretty cool headed about it too..After having greys for 9 years and playing pari-vet and talking with the adoption coordinator who is a retired vet I've learned a few thing.. :lol

But have I really learned a lot or just become more jaded over the years?? I baby these kids because they earned that right. And I think if you get all freaked out over it that sense transfers to them and they wig out.

Ok, here is the results of "midnight playtime"

She is going to have a sexy scare.

wound.jpg

wound1.jpg

Right now I gave her her anti-biotics and a tramadol and she is contently sleeping on the futon kicking her legs in her dream race. If she starts licking on the wounds I will wrap it back up and tomorrow go get a blowup neck doughnut to keep her from infecting it. But it will still allow her to get in and out of the dog door.

Greg

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

I don't think you have become jaded. I probably would have done the same! :)

Glad to hear she's doing well!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Wow, she got it good Greg. I have to hand it to you for keeping calm and level headed which I know how important it is, but doesn't mean we can pull it off.

That's an easy area to rip.

Feel better beautiful and nice going Dr Greg

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Ouch! Nope, not jaded just educated.

I had a similar experience a few months ago when I phoned my vet and told them Peanut needed stitches. They were really busy but said come ahead and we'll have someone assess the wound and "if" it needed stitches they would try to slot her inbetween patients. I get there and the vet tech said she would take her down to wait for stitching. I asked what happened to the assessment, she laughed and said "Miki says if you say it needs stitches, it does. Otherwise you would have fixed it yourself."

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest IrskasMom

I have to say , you kept your cool. I would have fricked out. As Cesar always say's , the Energie we are giving up is transforming over to the Dogs. Excellent Job Greg .

Edited by IrskasMom

I'm pretty good with the smaller wounds - maybe up to a couple inches - but I probably would have FREAKED for something that big/long (unless it didn't look that bad before the hair was all shaved away!).

My vets are getting pretty good about trusting my judgement and ability to handle things though, so I guess I'm learning too.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest IHeartDogs

Yikes, that looks bad...

I agree, you did everything wonderfully.

Hope she heals up quickly.

Sexy scar is correct: she can always say it was from a knife fight in a bar, such a bada** :P

Greyt job. Sorry it had to be done though.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest TexasGreytMom

Wow! You did great staying calm and you did everything right! I couldn't have handled it that well, unfortunately. I'm a big wimp. I can deal with the small cuts and scrapes but one like that would have had me waking my vet up in the middle of the night (we don't have e-vets in our area). Will you have to wrap it at night to prevent your other pup from accidentally re-injuring it? I want to be like you when I grow up! LOL! :colgate

:kiss2 Oh, Tessa :candle Can you put a t shirt on her to keep her from licking?

I put another piece of gauze on and vet wrapped but it looks like it is slipping. I plan on going by a pet warehouse place tomorrow and get one of those doughnut neck ring collars. They use the dog door and the old fashionbed e-collar wouldn't let her get through the door. I may see if I cxan get a t-shirt on her tonight..But it is right at that borderline of will or will not a t-shirt work. :lol

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

I've gotten much better over the years but I think that one might have freaked me out and I would have bolted to the evet. It just goes to show that a little "home doctoring" works wonders (AND can save a few $$$$s as well!!!).

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Nasty looking boo-boo. But I do the same thing. The vet actually told me I can wrap a bandage better than most vet techs - probably cause I've had so much practice! I tell my hounds that I've never splinted a leg, so they'd better not break one...that'll have to go to the real doctor.

Connie

I have antiobiotics and pain meds on hand so I would have done the same thing

Surprised they didn't put a drain in though- has there been much leakage?

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Not jaded, just highly skilled :lol . Glad you knew what to do and could get it taken care of so quickly.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Never be without Cephalexin :)

You are correct! My arsenal of drugs is amazing!!! Glue is always good too, and I have my own skin stapler as well. My vet is good about giving me what I need because I live in the middle of no where and vet care is not always available!

I would have freaked at first,, you bet all the lights would have been turned on, and I probably would not have slept much thru the night :P

but ultimately I would have done what you did : home doctoring and to the vet in the morning!

:rolleyes:

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14