Does Your Grey Sleep With You?

Guest SuperiorItaly

Guest SuperiorItaly

Italy started by sleeping in her bed right next to my bed. We didn't allow her on the bed, but we made sure she was all tucked in and comfy right next to my bed for the first couple of months. Then I allowed her in to the 2nd bedroom on the spare bed which she immediately fell in love with. About a month ago, we'd get up to go to bed and we'd walk down the hall to go to bed and she'd stop briefly and think about popping into the 2nd bedroom and I'd have her come back with me. Then it gradually went to her taking a left as I was walking back and I'd walk out to see where she was and she'd be laying on the bed in the spare room. I'd coax her out and she'd sleep in her bed, which I got 2 of for the living room and bedroom which are probably more money than any human should spend on a dog bed. Then she'd get up about 3 or 4 in am and whine so I'd open the door and she'd pop into the other bedroom to go to sleep. Now, I leave the door cracked when we go to bed. I get into bed and sure enough, about 20 mins later I hear her walk across the floor and see the door move a little bit and she's gone into the other bedroom to sleep for the night. Now, I know she's probably comfortable there but I'm a little offended that she doesn't want to sleep next to me. Tonight, I took 2 of her old beds and put them under her big, new, plush bed to make it higher and more comfortable so we'll see how that goes. So long story short, does your grey sleep in your bedroom, but not in your bed, with you?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Greytluv

When we first got Miss Q she wouldn't sleep in our room :dunno She's usually in the living room when we go to bed, but in the morning she's in our room.

Maybe she wants to get in bed with you? :wub:

Guest shanesmom

Elton sleeps on his bed in my bedroom but he is babygated in there. He gets into stuff he shouldn't at night if he's not. The other day though I took a nap and forgot to put the baby gate up. When I woke up, he was on his bed in the living room.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I would have to use a crowbar to pry my hounds out of my bed! The only exception is Charlotte, who actually prefers her crate (with the door open). If I shut her out of my room, she'd cry outside the door.

bee wiseman and murray sleep in our bedroom in their crates. (there are no doors on these crates.) murray has terrible sleep aggression so he can never sleep on the bed with us.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Hobbes spent 2 1/5 years sleeping EVERY single night with us on our bed, Wally doesn't like to be crowded so will move to the floor on his own bed as soon as we go to sleep. They both always slept in the room with us.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Guest SuperiorItaly

When we first got Miss Q she wouldn't sleep in our room :dunno She's usually in the living room when we go to bed, but in the morning she's in our room.

Maybe she wants to get in bed with you? :wub:

It's not a big deal by any means, but just curious. Even after I told her my bed was off limits, I waivered and tried to invite her up, but she wouldn't. The only time she did was when she could tell my gf and I were leaving and packing up. I was waiting for my walker/sitter to come pick her up. She was coming late on a Thursday night to get her and my girlfriend got into bed and Italy hopped right up and laid right by her face on the pillows and didn't sleep. I went back to lay down for a little while and she was very cuddly. All that said, she seems to like a real bed. Case in point, my girlfriend's sister stayed with us last night and I had both of them sleep in my bed in the master bedroom and I slept in "Italy's room" and she slept sounds all night even with me in it. Granted my share of the bed dwindled as the night went on :blink:

Guest Daffytoons

All of mine are in my bedroom with me. Shadow (98 lbs.) is too big to jump up onto my very high bed. Lilly absolutely insists she snuggle in bed with me. She cries all night if she isn't. :wub: Daffy, my yellow lab mix, will sleep on my bed if no other dogs are on their (pack issues). And my 3-legged pit pup absolutely loves my bed, too.

Mine sleep in my room. Jack always was on his own bed as is Josh. Jilly occasionally in bed with me. All guest dogs sleep in my bedroom as well.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Betsy our first grey girl, she took over our bed, couch, lazyboy. we moved the lazyboy to our room, so we could have more room in our bed.

Bloomer our new grey girl at first slept in the livingroom on her bed, or right on the floor. then she moved to the floor next to our bed (but always from day 1 she'd come to the bed n sniff at me, i guess just checking on us. id always give her a pat, n off she'd go) now that we've her a couple months you never know where you'll find her. either on the couch, next to our bed, or on our bed at our feet. she loves to snuggle with me b4 dh gets to bed. but she still does her midnight checks.

now our doxie thats another story, she is up my butt everywhere i go. if im sitting or laying still she is sleeping on me.

The Fruitloop crew: Piper, Bloomer, Sirius Black the kitty cat, Goober, .....Insane human crew: Nikki, Chuckles, Jakob (ds), Naomi baby girl........... and Our Angel babies,, Betsy (Betsy Kiss), Momma Cat, Blue Fish, and Georgie the g-pig.

Mine sleep in my bedroom on their beds once it starts getting chilly out, cat included (she gets the foot of the human bed privileges only :lol )...now in the summer, Pop sleeps in the living room on a dog bed and Zelda goes between her crate, a dog bed in my bedroom and the living room, she is a bed hopper all night long! I think in the winter they are trying to conserve heat! In my apartment we have radiators, so if I shut the door all but a little bit it gets piping hot in there and none of them mind, but I try to leave it open so they can access water should they get too warm.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Our first grey Jimmy did this very thing. He did not like to be in our bed with both of us, although he would get up there and nap if only one of us was in the bed. After we'd had him about a year, he started getting up on his own and going to sleep in the guest room bed at night. He always started out in our room on his dog bed. Then, after about 30 minutes he left and slept on the the bed in the guest room until morning. :lol I always thought he liked it because he had more room. He was a tall male and nearly 80 lbs.

greytalksignatureresized.jpg

Guest TeddysMom

Spice and Teddy both sleep in my bedroom on their beds. Every once in a while Teddy will get up on the bed with me early in the morning. Can't let him roam the house since he gets in too much trouble. Spice will take a nap with me on the bed during the day but won't sleep on the bed at night. Whatever makes them happy.

Guest SuperiorItaly

Italy's an angel. I neve crated her and she's never done anything to get into trouble at home. I almost think she's just a little snot and when she wants to sleep, she wants her own bed. I've supplemented her bed with a couple of her older beds underneath and a comforter. We'll see how that goes. As I type this, she's in the spare bedroom on what was a made bed that now looks like the pillows have been thrown around and the comforter is in a ball and she's sleeping comfortably. ;)

Guest Greytluv

As I type this, she's in the spare bedroom on what was a made bed that now looks like the pillows have been thrown around and the comforter is in a ball and she's sleeping comfortably. ;)

We need a picture :digicam

Mine are bed hoppers. They have beds in my room and the library and will spend part of the night on each. But I guarandamntee that one or both will end up glued to my side by morning. Most mornings I will wake up and the one who started by my side won't be the one there when I awake.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Guest Hoolyghans

Be happy!

Abba is good, she sleeps on a dog bed in our room quite happily.

Spike has just recently graduated from the crate. Actually an x-pen, he got kicked out so we could put the Christmas tree in it. We put the same bed from the xpen in our room. no no no. He wants to sleep in our bed. I don't mind a dog in the bed but he puts himself dead center of the bed, sticks all 4 legs out straight and goes into rigor mortis for the night.

He's pushing 80lbs and he's not quite 2.

Night 2 he was put on his bed. He jumped on ours, we kicked him off. Lather, rinse, repeat. Much whining involved.

This week what has developed is he tries to jump on the bed, we tell him no and direct him to his bed. He sighs, goes downstairs and sleeps on the couch for an hour. Then he comes up and tries again. He has the grace and stealth of an elephant so usually we hear him and block him before he jumps up. Sigh,downstairs..1 hr, clomps upstairs for a failed bed coup. Lather, rinse, repeat. Eventually he lucks out and we are so out of it from exhaustion we don't notice him until he's wedged in between us and dead to the world.

Tried a baby gate two nights ago to keep him downstairs. 3 hours of pacing and whining until hubby caved.

Last night older son said "Oh you are being mean, he can sleep in my bed"

3 am, older son comes in our room "I can't take it...."

Not sure what we are going to do tonight. I might go sleep on the couch :lol

I would be thrilled to have a spare bed and a dog that preferred to sleep there!

Edited by Hoolyghans

I used to have everyone in bed with me.... then I added two more greyhounds and a lab and it was just too crowded. I now only have one that sleeps with me, Carmen, and that is just cuz she is so stubborn that she would whine and pace all night long for almost two months before I finally gave in and just let her back in bed with me. Isis, my oldest, will sometimes hop up in the morning and snuggle with me. She always sleeps with me when we go on vacation but at home she sleeps on the couch or a bed beside mine. Steak sleeps on a bed right beside my bed and Madi sleeps in the living room either on the couch, chair or dog bed. They play musical beds at different times but as long as they are quiet about it I'm fine with it. The lab sleeps on the wood floor. He has dog beds but he gets too hot and prefers the floor.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Be happy!

Abba is good, she sleeps on a dog bed in our room quite happily.

Spike has just recently graduated from the crate. Actually an x-pen, he got kicked out so we could put the Christmas tree in it. We put the same bed from the xpen in our room. no no no. He wants to sleep in our bed. I don't mind a dog in the bed but he puts himself dead center of the bed, sticks all 4 legs out straight and goes into rigor mortis for the night.

He's pushing 80lbs and he's not quite 2.

Night 2 he was put on his bed. He jumped on ours, we kicked him off. Lather, rinse, repeat. Much whining involved.

This week what has developed is he tries to jump on the bed, we tell him no and direct him to his bed. He sighs, goes downstairs and sleeps on the couch for an hour. Then he comes up and tries again. He has the grace and stealth of an elephant so usually we hear him and block him before he jumps up. Sigh,downstairs..1 hr, clomps upstairs for a failed bed coup. Lather, rinse, repeat. Eventually he lucks out and we are so out of it from exhaustion we don't notice him until he's wedged in between us and dead to the world.

Tried a baby gate two nights ago to keep him downstairs. 3 hours of pacing and whining until hubby caved.

Last night older son said "Oh you are being mean, he can sleep in my bed"

3 am, older son comes in our room "I can't take it...."

Not sure what we are going to do tonight. I might go sleep on the couch :lol

I would be thrilled to have a spare bed and a dog that preferred to sleep there!

Wouldja hate me if I told you I laughed through your entire post? It's just, well really, misery loves company. What I left out in my post about dogs glued to my side is that I can barely tolerate a sheet on me these days. You can imagine my joy of having two personal heaters.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Guest SuperiorItaly

As I type this, she's in the spare bedroom on what was a made bed that now looks like the pillows have been thrown around and the comforter is in a ball and she's sleeping comfortably. ;)

We need a picture :digicam

Ask and you shall receive. I kind of disturbed her I guess. Keep in mind the bed was made so tight you could bounce a quarter off of it.

IMG00001-20100102-2322.jpg

Guest scfilby

Ours hop around and move from place to place. One (or both) on our bed, then the crate in our room or the dog bed in our room.. Sometimes if Mickey gets upset because Cy is in a spot she wants she will go to the couch for awhile..

One word of warning, if you make the leap to allow your pup in your bed, for a good long while they should be at the foot only. Being awakened by a sleep startled hound in your face at 3:00am is no fun..

Opie sleeps in our room, on his bed, next to our bed. No room for a 95 lb male in a queen bed with 2 humans! When its time for bed, he goes in there and lays down. He always has to be wherever we are.

He is allowed up for huggies and snuggles in the AM when we wake up. He jumps in between us and usually lays with his head on my chest. Sometimes we will all fall back to sleep for a few minutes. But I almost always end up getting squeezed off the bed as he tries to spread out and get more comfortable!

Edited by tydyelady

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Our dogs sleep where ever they want to. Either the living room on their 7 dogs beds or in our room on the one dog bed. Danger never comes in our bedroom, no clue why. Donner moves around and is either in the living room or our bedroom. The stripey dogs sleep with us most of the time. I work nights and Kevin works days. Dessie almost always sleeps with Kevin. Disco pretty much sleeps with me. Let me correct that, Disco sleeps ON me! He had to touch me or he isn't happy. And he is dead weight too. The lug!! He also does not nicely lay down, he flops down with all the grace of a lead balloon.

Today I woke up for a few minutes and when I came back to bed, I decided I wanted to sleep on Kevin pillow. Kevin was at the store. I had to roll Disco over so I could crawl onto Kevin's side of the bed. I grabbed his feet and rolled him on his back and over onto his other side. He never even woke up! Punk!! But as soon as I got settled back into bed, he stood up, moved around and flopped down on me again!!

And yes, when we sleep together, we often wake up with stripey dogs between us, a shih tzu sharing a pillow and at least two cats on our bed.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Dude won't sleep anywhere but our bed without much drama and over-reacting. He started the first night he was home with us. Since Toni came home, he will have to make room for her most nights now, though she does get too hot occasionally and move to the floor. Cash totally surprised me one night a month or so ago by staying on the people bed after I got in - she usually jumps right off for her bed on the floor. She hasn't done it since. Copper never sleeps on the people bed with the people in it. He always sleeps on one of the dog beds.

They all sleep in our room since we make them stay there - I don't like them wandering around at night and it limits the unattended cat interactions. We keep our door closed.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly