Does Your Grey Sleep With You?

Guest SuperiorItaly

Guest jessicaksu125

Gigi is very observant of the "three's a crowd rule". She will not jump on the bed with me if either my fiance or Pulitzer is with me. But if I'm up there alone, she instantly is up with me.

Matt doesn't want the dogs on the bed but Pulitzer is a sly one. Many many times I've woken up with her sleeping on my feet.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love that pic!

Asta sleeps in our bedroom every night -- her dog bed is in the corner right next to the people bed. Once in a while she'll move to her dog bed in the guest room in the middle of the night, but that's rare. If she hears thunder or firecrackers in the night, she'll head to the basement and stay down there till the coast is clear.

Lisa

Dog mama to angel-boy Ewan (racing name Atascocita Ewan), 3/26/10 to 8/23/20, and angel-girl Asta (racing name Pazzo Asta), 6/16/01 to 9/7/13.

Doc has free run of the house, so can sleep where he likes. Almost always that will be on his favourite bed in the back bedroom (which is also my study). Just occasionally if it is summer and very hot he will move to his bed downstairs in the living room, as that is cooler. When he first came we used to move the living-room bed up to my bedroom at night, but there wasn't really room for it, and he seems very happy in the study!

Both doors are open, so when the alarm clock goes off he will come running into my bedroom to say 'good morning' and have a cuddle. Sometimes he wakes up early and comes and lies on the floor, waiting for it to go off... occasionally I will hear him get up in the middle of the night, come and check that I am still there, and then go back to bed.

He's never shown any interest in getting onto my bed when I am in it, but then I've never encouraged that. Sometimes he will sleep on it while I am out, but usually he prefers the sofa downstairs!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Guest jolie1

my Dappy wouldn't get on the bed for the first year or so, no matter how hard I tried to coax him up! He loved the sofa and chairs, etc. Finally he started sleeping up on the bed-- what I didn't realize (being a first-time Greyhound rookie) was that he could effortlessly take up an entire king-size bed and relegate me to about 3 sq. feet of space...! So funny. Of course I just contorted rather than move him! I just lost him suddenly to cancer, so now I am having sleepless nights, missing him terribly...

Guest SusanP

We normally have at least one greyhound in our bed at night, whoever gets there first, and sometimes a different dog is there in the morning when we wake up in the morning.

If she's a good girl, seems like no harm no foul.

Zema, who is 11 and who has been here for 9 years, decided just a week or so ago that she would sleep in bed with me. I tried putting her back in her bed and then caved (she is 11 ....). She went through a stage of wanting to sleep on the sofa in the living room, but I didn't let her because I have to shut Joseph (wild thing) in with me at night and I didn't want to shut her out. Last night she didn't want to jump up into bed so, yeah, I picked her up.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FrostyBottoms

We have 2 dog beds on the side of our bed for F&V to sleep in. Most nights Vinny will hop in bed with us. Frosty never sleeps in our bed with us. She will jump up there in the morning, and she will sleep there in the evening until we go to bed, but it's like she knows her place in the pack. Vinny just doesn't know his place. He is delightfully dingy.

Enza moves between her bed in the living room, the sofa, and her bed in the bedroom. As she doesn't really do anything, I don't worry about it. I admit I was a bit miffed when she first "graduated" from the bedroom, but now I figure she is just comfortable and doesn't need me.

Guest rachelee

Bistro has his own bed on my side in our bedroom. He has a second bed in the living room where we spend most of our time. He's my velcro boy and is usually upstairs if I'm up and downstairs if I'm down, but most nights (especially in winter) he'll decide it's time to retire early and go upstairs without us.

We don't allow him on the furniture and he's never shown any interest.

before Rainy lost freedom privileges at night (potty accident), she would rotate around at night. From the bedroom with us, to her crate, to the living room, to the dining room, to the hallway, etc. she had never gotten to choose where she slept at night before and was having a blast.

------

Jessica

I knew within a month I'd want Chance on my bed. I work most of the day, so sometimes I feel like it's our only time together.....It's just me, so I LOVE LOVE LOVE how he snuggles between my legs or even nestles into my arms. wub.gif Luckily he has no sleep aggression....and I KNOW i got lucky b/c Chance will sleep in with me...sometimes as late as 11am!!! If I'm sleeping...he's sleeping. Once I start moving around (and god forbid get up and pee) ..it's over. It's potty and feeding time! But that's ok :)

mms_picture-2.jpg

Guest eaglflyt

Ady Bea always sleeps in our room in her bed on the floor on my side of the bed. She only wakes us up if she gets cold ... which jammies have solved that problem. She still loves her blankie, she just doesn't wake us up every time she loses it during the night. : )

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Both of my Greys sleep on their beds in my bedroom. Buzz will occasionally nap with me on my bed but he has sleep aggression so the minute he gets nasty I boot him off the bed. Spencer used to love to nap with me but since he has back problems now he can't on or off my bed any longer.

Guest whimzical

Italy started by sleeping in her bed right next to my bed. We didn't allow her on the bed, but we made sure she was all tucked in and comfy right next to my bed for the first couple of months. Then I allowed her in to the 2nd bedroom on the spare bed which she immediately fell in love with. About a month ago, we'd get up to go to bed and we'd walk down the hall to go to bed and she'd stop briefly and think about popping into the 2nd bedroom and I'd have her come back with me. Then it gradually went to her taking a left as I was walking back and I'd walk out to see where she was and she'd be laying on the bed in the spare room. I'd coax her out and she'd sleep in her bed, which I got 2 of for the living room and bedroom which are probably more money than any human should spend on a dog bed. Then she'd get up about 3 or 4 in am and whine so I'd open the door and she'd pop into the other bedroom to go to sleep. Now, I leave the door cracked when we go to bed. I get into bed and sure enough, about 20 mins later I hear her walk across the floor and see the door move a little bit and she's gone into the other bedroom to sleep for the night. Now, I know she's probably comfortable there but I'm a little offended that she doesn't want to sleep next to me. Tonight, I took 2 of her old beds and put them under her big, new, plush bed to make it higher and more comfortable so we'll see how that goes. So long story short, does your grey sleep in your bedroom, but not in your bed, with you?

Our 2 year old Grey Jonsey, and our 4 year old Dashchound(after his back surgery now sleeps on the floor in his one bed,wow no dogs in the bed, this is a whole new experience), both sleep in our room but on their own beds, with blankets. They both have beds in our room and in the family room, we move them to the living room when we are in the kitchen and dinning room. Jonsey has been part of our family from late September.

Where else would they sleep? This is me with Teddy and Beau. Chloe also joins us once in a while and there are always 3 kittes in the mix.

Elsie and Ollie sleep on the dog beds on the floor!

Teddy is the one nuzzled in my neck. That is the way he sleeps every night. We've come a long way baby.

DSC_1993.jpg

DSC_1992-1.jpg

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest FatCatSkinnyDog

Rajah spends the night on one of his two beds in our room. Occasionally we will find him on the guest bed, but not often. However, when I get up in the morning, if DH is still sleeping, Rajah will get into bed with him as soon as he hears the shower. He will not do the same if it's DH up and I'm still in bed. Hopefully that will change when we get the new bed - I feel so unloved!

I think this picture says it all. Sorry it is fuzzy, I took it yesterday morning on my cell phone. My 3 boys sleep with me every night, my permafoster Bobbi usually sleeps on a pile of dog beds next to my bed, and Kaylee sleeps all over the house. At any time I have between 3-5 dogs in bed with me. I need a bigger bed.

bedhounds.jpg

Kim with hounds Kirby and Watson and Kody and Kaylee and permafoster Bobbi

Guest LineDancerDana

Amelia does not sleep in the bed or on the couch. Until we have a larger area for her, or until my husband deploys, we don't want to get her too used to that idea. She seems to enjoy the big plushy doggie beds that we got her. She was even in the dead bug position the other days with her little stuffed zebra.

Amelia typically wants to sleep where we are. She sleep in the bedroom and doesn't like leaving it until we leave that room. If we are downstairs she lays dowanstairs, if we are upstairs, so is she.

We kept her at my parent's house this last weekend. She just wouldn't settle until the third day over there. She had a big comfy pillow and everything, but was searching the house for us until we got here. Now that is grey love. :colgate:colgate

Guest BlueCrab

In the old house, all dogs were gated outside our room so the cats only had entry. Trixie slept in her crate or on the sofa. In the new house, the dogs are allowd in our room when we're there. Trixie would luv to sleep in bed with us, but she ends up taking over and kicks DH out. Plus the new comforter I have is dry clean only and gets snags in it from her claws, so I'm trying to discourage that.

That having been said, we have a chair that travels with us that is "Trixie's Princess Chair". It's like a papasan chair you'd buy at Pier 1, but it folds up. It's from Target and it is TRIXIE'S CHAIR. We've set it up in our bedroom and every morning that's where she is. She starts out in her crate all tucked in but sometime during the night she gets up and comes upstairs. The first couple times she whined to get on the bed and we told her to get on her chair instead. Now she just does it by herself, quietly, sometime during the night.

The chair folds up and goes to all the race tracks and hotels with us. People laugh, but if the chair is there, we always know where Trixie is. When we fold it up on the road to take it with us, Trixie will stand on the folded up pile and give us the stink eye until she can use it again.

Leyland starts out on one of the beds in the family room. He patrols all night but usually ends up on the floor next to my side of the bed come morning.

Edited by BlueCrab

Guest EmbersDad

when jed was alive, he would run in and snuggle with me in the morning, usually wagginghis tail and rubbing his shoulder on the bed before curling up with his head on my chest. i always woke with a smile :colgate althea never showed any interest in getting on the bed till jed passed, now she sleeps up there all the time. its a queen size bed and i always get squished into a corner :lol she will lay right across the bed and take up most of the real estate. hero has not shown any interest....yet....preferring his crate or the dog bed in between his crate and my bed. if he starts sleeping on my bed, i will prob end up on the floor :o