Zero Bit Me Tonight

Hi All,

Thanks again for all your responses. I totally look at this as a learning experience for us both. I know now not to disturb him when he's lying down or sleeping. I'm looking into obedience training and perhaps 1 - 2 days a week day care. I'm also going to exercise him more. Again, looking at this as a huge learning experience. The muzzle suggestions are great as well.

Time to look for a new coffee table :(

Thanks again for being there. I'll keep y'all up to date on his progress.

Zero's Daddy

Edited by aryon92

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

Sorry you got bitten! I KNOW the feeling! Goldie hates her nails done, but we've been getting extremely good results with DH distracting her with peanut butter packed in a dish, so she has to work on it. Forget muzzling for nails, she goes NUTS! Anyway, she went after me, and had I not had a sweatshirt and two other shirt under it, well ... she bit me in a not so great place. Bruised, not much skin breakage. I'd muzzle Zero when you cannot watch him, and also if you try getting him off the couch. Hugs and good Luck!

Edited by Energy11

Your a brave one going to the hospital! LOL I'm paranoid about my pups being labeled as biters. Even told DH that is he ever does something stupid he has to come up with his own story or we are just super gluing/duct taping him back together. :lol Are you mourning the loose of your table yet?

------

Jessica

I am so sorry that you got bit. The toughest way to learn some lessons in human terms but definitely the way lessons are taught in the dog world. And I would guess that is exactly what was going on - Zero deciding to relate to you in dog terms not human ones. To set the balance straight, I think it is important that greys have leadership - that they do see humans in the leadership role and as endearing as these guys are, we have to remember that they are dogs and treat them like dogs, not little children.

Greyt advice all ready given here.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Hi Aaron, I'm so sorry to hear about what happened :( Believe me, I know how you are feeling :( Back in September, I went to kiss Rainey while she was on the bed and she bit the whole lobe of my right ear off :( totally unexpected, I had kissed her exactly the same way, while laying down, a thousand times before it -- I don't know what happened this time either, like you, 100%. But I'm sure I must have accidentally (and unknowingly) layed on her legs or something and hurt her. What I learned is that yes, they are just dogs after all ... and it's taught me to be much more careful and cognizant around them. I also learned that many, many others have been bitten as well -- it happens. And yes it hurt more mentally than physically since I never thought in a million years she would do it -- and I don't think she would unless I had done something to hurt her, and I'm guessing it's the same with Zero.

and I also feel for you with Zero's getting in to everything, we had/have the same problem with Rainey. She used to have the run of the basement, kitchen and foyer, but now is double gated into the basement -- with literally nothing on the walls, tables, etc. -- as she kept getting into things, like eating garlic (which is toxic :blink:). We never figured out why she would do it, I'm guessing because she's bored. And she also got into MORE stuff the longer we had her, like Zero. It's very frustrating..... I hope the muzzle idea works ! :)

ps. here is the link to the thread I posted when I was bit in case you're interested ... Rainey

ETA: I said in that post I would never be able to kiss a dog again, and that lasted all of about a week :blush there's NO way I could not kiss my sweet puppers -- I just am MUCH more careful.. :)

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Tony,

Sorry that you got bit, Zero sounds like a really nice pup and it's obvious you care for him deeply otherwise you wouldn't be posting. Many here have provided good advice that I cannot expand on. I would say though that I do not try to pickup my pups because I have learnt that it may not be the best thing to do. I find I am more careful with my Greys than I have ever been with any other dogs I have had and it's likely due to all the knowledge I have gleened from GT. As I always tell DW when approaching the pups on their beds to cuddle with them, make sure they are awake, you are approaching from the front of them (not over top) and they always react well.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest TeddysMom

Hi All,

My dog walker recommended I go to the emergency room because of dog bacteria, etc. Three hours later, all is good....well except how I look. I hope I don't get a scar. No stitches. I got a tetanus shot. Doc prescribed Clindamycin and some ointment to put on the wound. As stated before, I'm more mentally wounded than physical pain. Zero gave me a pretty good gash though. I will work with him on this though. A few things I learned. Don't physically manipulate Zero and keep my face away from his. Also, any strangers I will be certain to keep their faces away from his. I'll also work on getting him obedience training. I honestly thought I was doing a really good job over the past ten months raining him, but I'm afraid I babied him too much. Oh well, now we'll just have to work on making him the best doggie on the planet :)

Looks like you and all of us have gotten a lot of really good advise on this thread. I am a bit guilty of loving on and babying my dogs and usually learn the hard way what each will put up with or not. It doesn't sound like you are a bad pet owner just a soft hearted one. Don't beat yourself up to much, things happen and we all learn from them. Some obeidence training sounds great for both of you, more exercise does us all good. Maybe Zero is lonesome, any possiblility of your fostering or adopting a friend for him?

Guest Bang_o_rama

In my (yes, yes, I know, limited) experience with them, greyhounds have been among the most gentle, docile and non-aggressive breeds I have ever met. That was a big reason we decided to adopt a grey.

Have we made a mistake? Is suddenly biting people they know, with no growling or warning, something that greys are prone to more than other breeds? Is Bang, who seems so loving and docile, really a ticking time bomb waiting to go all Baskerville on us when we least expect it? Do greyhounds AIM for the face? Do we risk winding up like that poor woman who was disfigured by the chimp?

~D~

Hi Aaron, I'm so sorry to hear about what happened :( Believe me, I know how you are feeling :( Back in September, I went to kiss Rainey while she was on the bed and she bit the whole lobe of my right ear off :( totally unexpected, I had kissed her exactly the same way, while laying down, a thousand times before it -- I don't know what happened this time either, like you, 100%. But I'm sure I must have accidentally (and unknowingly) layed on her legs or something and hurt her. What I learned is that yes, they are just dogs after all ... and it's taught me to be much more careful and cognizant around them. I also learned that many, many others have been bitten as well -- it happens. And yes it hurt more mentally than physically since I never thought in a million years she would do it -- and I don't think she would unless I had done something to hurt her, and I'm guessing it's the same with Zero.

and I also feel for you with Zero's getting in to everything, we had/have the same problem with Rainey. She used to have the run of the basement, kitchen and foyer, but now is double gated into the basement -- with literally nothing on the walls, tables, etc. -- as she kept getting into things, like eating garlic (which is toxic :blink:). We never figured out why she would do it, I'm guessing because she's bored. And she also got into MORE stuff the longer we had her, like Zero. It's very frustrating..... I hope the muzzle idea works ! :)

ps. here is the link to the thread I posted when I was bit in case you're interested ... Rainey

ETA: I said in that post I would never be able to kiss a dog again, and that lasted all of about a week :blush there's NO way I could not kiss my sweet puppers -- I just am MUCH more careful.. :)

Wow, sorry to hear about your ear. I'm lucky actually, no stitches and if he really wanted to Zero could have bitten my nose off. Thanks for the response :)

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

Guest KennelMom

In my (yes, yes, I know, limited) experience with them, greyhounds have been among the most gentle, docile and non-aggressive breeds I have ever met. That was a big reason we decided to adopt a grey.

Have we made a mistake? Is suddenly biting people they know, with no growling or warning, something that greys are prone to more than other breeds? Is Bang, who seems so loving and docile, really a ticking time bomb waiting to go all Baskerville on us when we least expect it? Do greyhounds AIM for the face? Do we risk winding up like that poor woman who was disfigured by the chimp?

~D~

Did you read ANY of the replies in this thread? Dogs do not bite without reason or warning (unless they've been trained by their humans not to give warning). Aim for the face? Really? In this case, I'm guessing that's just the part of the human that happened to be closest to the sharpest point of the dog. A bite that comes as a result of being startled or pain is likely to make contact to whatever part of the human (or other dog) happens to be closest...no aiming, the dog is just reacting. I advise people - especially new owners - to keep faces away from the pointy part of the dog, especially when doing something that might startle, scare or make a dog unsure (ie, watch how vet techs handle/restrain your dog to protect the dog and themselves).

Any dog can bite. Any. Big dogs have big teeth and can do big damage. ANY big dog. If anyone wants to own a large dog of any breed, I advise them to learn a bit about dog language and handling dogs. As I referenced earlier, the book The Other End of the Leash is a great one and easy to read.

Greyhounds are docile and they are laid back and they are easy going...but they do have limits. It is up to the human to make sure the dog is set up to succeed, expectations are properly set and reinforced and that the dog's needs are met. If you are a trusted, predictable and reasonable 'pack leader' you won't have any problems.

I know Cookie's skin is very sensitive- I'm sure any thin skinned dog/animal would feel the same way. I wouldn't dare pick her up for fear of accidentally pinching her skin. She's very touchy about that. In fact, one day while on leash one of the wiener dogs went through her legs and before I could fish him back through, the leash pinched her skin and she jumped up and bit me. I've had to teach the wiener dogs not to go through legs, which I think has improved quite a bit.

We all live and learn- and move on, hopefully with a better understanding of what we can and can't do with our pets. As far as Zero's personality change, Cookie's personality "changed", but she just got more settled in and comfortable. Her latest feat is pulling the crock part of the crock pot off the counter and breaking it.

She's also learned how to open the refrigator and unload my cupboards. She is who she is.

Edited by September

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

~D~

In answer to your questions:

Have we made a mistake? no

Is suddenly biting people they know, with no growling or warning, something that greys are prone to more than other breeds? Any dog has the potential to bite

Is Bang, who seems so loving and docile, really a ticking time bomb waiting to go all Baskerville on us when we least expect it? If you follow the advise on this thread I would say it's highly unlikely.

Do greyhounds AIM for the face? No. If any dog wants to send you a message by bitting, whatever is in the way when they decide to bite will get bitten. They are usually way quicker than us humans.

Do we risk winding up like that poor woman who was disfigured by the chimp? Bad example. Dogs, unless mentally ill, sick or negatively conditioned are not out to maul people. The only way they have to communicate is by actions and some sounds. Humans can say "stop", dogs can't. It's somewhat how dogs act around other dogs. Are they out to maul each other? No....again unless they are sick or conditioned to attack other dogs. They are just sending signals to each other.

Guest Bang_o_rama

~D~

Did you read ANY of the replies in this thread? Dogs do not bite without reason or warning (unless they've been trained by their humans not to give warning). Aim for the face? Really? In this case, I'm guessing that's just the part of the human that happened to be closest to the sharpest point of the dog. A bite that comes as a result of being startled or pain is likely to make contact to whatever part of the human (or other dog) happens to be closest...no aiming, the dog is just reacting. I advise people - especially new owners - to keep faces away from the pointy part of the dog, especially when doing something that might startle, scare or make a dog unsure (ie, watch how vet techs handle/restrain your dog to protect the dog and themselves).

Any dog can bite. Any. Big dogs have big teeth and can do big damage. ANY big dog. If anyone wants to own a large dog of any breed, I advise them to learn a bit about dog language and handling dogs. As I referenced earlier, the book The Other End of the Leash is a great one and easy to read.

Greyhounds are docile and they are laid back and they are easy going...but they do have limits. It is up to the human to make sure the dog is set up to succeed, expectations are properly set and reinforced and that the dog's needs are met. If you are a trusted, predictable and reasonable 'pack leader' you won't have any problems.

Not an unreasonable question; if a spitting cobra with a brain the size of a smallish coffee bean can aim for the eyes, a dog could certainly know enough to aim at a certain area. Now, had I asked if Bang's future behavior can be predicted from the writings of Nostradamus, THAT would have been an unreasonable question!

My personal opinion (FWIW) is that greyhounds are indeed among the least potentially dangerous dogs that one could wish for.

~D~

Guest SoulsMom

Hi All,

Thanks again for all your responses. I totally look at this as a learning experience for us both. I know now not to disturb him when he's lying down or sleeping. I'm looking into obedience training and perhaps 1 - 2 days a week day care. I'm also going to exercise him more. Again, looking at this as a huge learning experience. The muzzle suggestions are great as well.

Time to look for a new coffee table :(

Thanks again for being there. I'll keep y'all up to date on his progress.

Zero's Daddy

Do you want mine? I need more room in my living room :lol

Guest Heehoo

I'm so sorry you got bit. I think it's time for some training for Zero. If he is at all food motivated, when you want him off the sofa, hold a little treat out so he can see and smell it, tell him "off" and when he complies to get the treat, treat him and tell him good boy. You might want to practice this so he learns quickly. You can teach him almost any command you wish using this technique.

Muzzle him while you're gone. That will stop the chewing. He's used to wearing a muzzle and it will prevent any more damage to your home.

Hope your nose heals quickly.

Muzzles are great training devices. I've used them for excessive barking, growling etc. Its a kind of time out technique also. I've tried the kong filled with peanut butter, that last for a little while but the muzzle is great. He can still drink water, breathe fine w/it on. 

I have never tried to pick one of mine off the furniture, I've picked them up when they're hurt or can't get up on their own, but always hold your face away from them. Also, don't hug a dog while its sleeping. Many people have gotten their faces nipped for waking up a sleeping dog, just a little fyi. No matter how much you know the dog, they can be startled when sleeping or just laying around. 

I'm sorry about your coffee table. Wow! Glad you're okay. 

Guest Heehoo

~D~

Have you made a mistake? No. I have been bitten on the arm, which took 13 stitches & on the hand which didn't take stitches but hurt like hayull. I think they aim for the face because that's what's coming at them. I got bit on the arm because I was reaching over Pegasus in a fight to break them up. Yes greyhounds fight, so do poodles, pups, shihtzus & humans. He only saw me through the corner of his eye & bit what was coming toward him. I never ever let it stop me from loving him, in fact I loved him more because I could tell after it happened, he wished it hadn't. Just like the rest of us, dogs want to protect themselves. 

Some vets say dogs that bite do it out of fear. Some bite because they're in pain, they may have been hurt by a human. 

I have never in my years with greyhounds ever been bitten by one out of aggression, only out of fear during a fight. Thus a good reason to wear a muzzle.

Zero's dad, I must say, you seem to have a very level head on your shoulders. Good boy! :lol Hugs and hopes your nose heals right up.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest TeddysMom

As a person who rescued another breed for years, greyhounds are one of the least likely breeds that will bite out of pure aggression. It seems that all the bite related post that I have read it is usually a startle or fear reaction or a bite while breaking up a tiff with another dog and the hand or arm got in the way. I have been bitten, attacked and really hurt by truly aggressive dogs while trying to train them but nothing I have heard or read about greys gives me the impression that they are inclined that way. I guess there are always exceptions to the rule but if a grey was born and raised on a farm and trained to race and showed any aggressive traits, they would never make it to an adoption group so I would never be concerned about adopting a retired racer. Taking any dog from a shelter with no history like I did with Teddy is always a "crap shoot" and you just have to pray for the best. JMHO. I do think the posts on this and other threads about bites have made me a little smarter. Thanks to all of you who post about the bites and the circumstances surrounding them, it helps remind us of things we should not be doing with any of our dogs, greys or other breeds.

Time to get back to basics!

Susan L. had some good advise (which I myself need to heed) about teaching a command that means "get off the couch." My guy will growl at me if I attempt to physically manipulate him; I don't put up with it (harsh tones follow!) nor do I pick at him. We each need to learn that our particular behavior is unacceptable!

~D~

Given the comments above, I wonder about correcting a growling dog. While I don't like them being snarky, I don't want to punish the growl out of them and have them end up biting without warning. We're protective of Lucky as she's 14.5 and deaf, but she occasionally steps on Daisy and gets growled at. We've told Daisy to stop, but I'm conflicted about this. How do others handle growling?

For the OP--sorry to hear about your situation, but you've gotten some greyt advice here.

For Bang's mom--I don't think you need to worry about greyhounds having a really dark side; unless there's abuse or a brain tumor or something else drastic, they are not Frankendogs.

Edited by DaisyDoodle

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Bang_o_rama

Time to get back to basics!

Susan L. had some good advise (which I myself need to heed) about teaching a command that means "get off the couch." My guy will growl at me if I attempt to physically manipulate him; I don't put up with it (harsh tones follow!) nor do I pick at him. We each need to learn that our particular behavior is unacceptable!

~D~

Given the comments above, I wonder about correcting a growling dog. While I don't like them being snarky, I don't want to punish the growl out of them and have them end up biting without warning. We're protective of Lucky as she's 14.5 and deaf, but she occasionally steps on Daisy and gets growled at. We've told Daisy to stop, but I'm conflicted about this. How do others handle growling?

For the OP--sorry to hear about your situation, but you've gotten some greyt advice here.

For Bang's mom--I don't think you need to worry about greyhounds having a really dark side; unless there's abuse or a brain tumor or something else drastic, they are not Frankendogs.

Well, Bang's Dad, in this case; my wife and I both post under this account. I usually ID myself by "Dave" or "D"

Guest IrskasMom

Tony , Tony , Tony well what is there more to say ! I am so sorry , Zero bit you and that your Glasstable is

gone . Please put it aside as terrible Experience and see if you can get some Training in . Couch is OFF Limit .

Do you have a Bed for Zero in the Livingroom ?? That's for him , the Couch for you. Hopefully your Heart heals as fast as your Nose. Keep us posted,ok .smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Guest Swifthounds

Hi,

Zero's daddy here. I'm sitting here with a towel on my nose, typing with one hand. My fault I guess. Zero was chillin' on the couch, awake. I was trying to get him off the couch & carry him to my bed where he likes to sleep. I've said in past forums that he is so lazy sometimes that he just pours off the couch. I've picked him up off the couch before many times like this and he has never flinched. Well now he did in a split second and bit my nose. He broke the skin and I have a pretty bad cut on it, though with pressure the bleeding has stopped. Not great way to start the new year :(

Yikes, Tony! I'd say NOT a great start to the new year.

So, it seems as though Zero's personality has changed quite a bit. As I said in my previous forum he's been pretty much an angel for the past nine months since I first got him. Never chewing anything, staying home 10 hours per day and no problems. As of this Thanksgiving he's chewed up my night guard (tat stops me from grinding my teeth at night), he's figured out how to get into my cabinets in the kitchen, got into my closet in the bathroom and ate a very small empty bottle of Gold Bond talcum powder. I since put baby locks on my cabinets this past week, but Zero has already chewed on one of the cabinet doors while I was out of the house.

Sounds like you're headed out of the honeymoon phase. The greyhound you have for the first 6 months to a year is just settling in. It's somewhere between 6 months and 18 months where they will settle in and start to test boundaries. It's when you reach this phase that it's most important not to lose your cool, to be patient, and to grant privileges based on behavior.

So greyhound friends, how do I handle this? I guess #1, don't try to get him off the couch by picking him up anymore. To boot, after he bit me I fall backward onto my $300 coffee table, it tipped over and the glass shattered into a million pieces. Again, not a great way to start 2010.

Cripes! For starters, I would keep Zero off furniture and beds - at least for the time being. A lot of folks will say I'm being too harsh, but from my point of view, whether you're human or canine (or feline) you EARN the right to do certain things. Being able to snooze on the couch is a privilege and it comes with the responsibility of NOT abusing said privilege. I'm not as concerned that you lost an expensive coffee table (though that's not unimportant -especially in this economy) as I am that the injuries, though bad enough, could have been much worse. You could have been badly cut or hit your head, etc.

I would keep Zero off the furniture and pick training times with a tasty treat. Let him onto the couch, then give him a command to "come" or something you use to get him off the couch and give a treat when he complies. Sometimes making a sound to rouse him will help. Other than training sessions, no Zero on the furniture until he has mastered the art of getting off furniture.

It takes a while, and you may feel like a "Bad Dad", but what you're teaching him are boundaries and how to live in a house with humans - where no one gets hurt.

Sincerely,

Tony

Your a brave one going to the hospital! LOL I'm paranoid about my pups being labeled as biters. Even told DH that is he ever does something stupid he has to come up with his own story or we are just super gluing/duct taping him back together. :lol Are you mourning the loose of your table yet?

I too was biten by my Teddy close to a year after I adopted him - and I too was totally 100% at fault. I was nuzzling him leaning over him while he was on his bed, I thought his eyes were open (But he might have been sleeping) As I nuzzled him, I thought to myself, that I was probably overstaying my welcome and I should stop- and with that thought - he lunged up at my face with the meanest growl and got 2 parts of my face requiring 6 stitches right over my eye, 2 in my check and derabond on the other side of my face. I was devasted. The blood was pouring out of my face - I HAD to go to the ER. I lied. I said it was an accident at home. They questioned it a couple of times and probably thought it was DH but I wouldn't give up Teddy.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest iconsmum

~D~

Absolutely seconding KennelMom - I say over and over to my clients "remember, if it's got teeth, it bites"...it always makes people snicker, but really, it's the only way to remember to protect your body. When it happens, it's always described as a "surprise" and I often wonder if people are getting bitten because they've missed the dog's first few other warnings because they're fast and subtle but available. Owners need to learn the whole concept of dog and forget the cute pet stuff.

~D~

Suggest you re-read the original post and all responses.

This was not a dog who suddenly lunged at his owner and bit him. His owner behaved in a wholly inappropriate manner, and admits as much.

These are not dogs who have been treated like fuzzy members of a family from the age of 7 weeks on, like your typical Golden Retriever purchased as a puppy. They got to be dogs for the beginning parts of their lives. It's only when we adopt them that we try to turn them into furry children or playthings.

That's the mistake. Forgetting it's an animal with big teeth who doesn't think like a person. They're not actually "fur babies." They're dogs. Dogs bite. Even the sweetest dog in the world, when handled without appropriate consideration and thought, can bite.

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck