Zero Bit Me Tonight

Guest NeverSayNever

I personally don't think a hound should be allowed on beds and furniture until he or she is responsive. A dog you have to pick up and carry is kind of pathetic. I'm not a opposed to rewarding a prompt response off the couch with a treat, but I would be careful that it does not become a bribe where the greyhound will only get off the couch for a treat. I personally think he should get off the couch just because you said so. When I train for agility and obedience, I'm as positive as I can be, but around the house if I need you to move, get up, lie down, whatever... you just need to do it. If it were me, I'd honestly take a broom with me. Ask greyhound to get down, count to 3, and then calmly touch him with the bristle end of the broom. No yelling, don't get mad, just poke him with the broom. I find that most dogs are totally surprised to be touched with a broom that they respond immediately. Same thing next time... count to 3. Give him a little poke. He'll catch on that you are not going to let him ignore you.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DebSzal

Wow, what a sensitive issue this seems to be! There are a lot of varied and intense postings. As for me, I first want to say I am sorry you got bit. Been there and it is not pleasant. Luckily for me, the blow was not severe and it was TOTALLY my fault. Gracie was sleeping with me. I got out of bed to use the bathroom and when I got back in I groggily went to kiss her head like I always did my dalmation. Gracie was startled and lashed out and caught my nose. I was quickly reminded that she was not my dalmation. It was an adjustment time for both of us.

When we first got Gracie we did not let her on the bed or furniture. When we did allow her to get up, it was on our invitation. If she snapped when we sat down she was reprimanded and told "Off" which was a command we taught her. She learned quickly that if she wanted the comfy spot she needed to be civil.

I do empathize with you and wish you a quick healing!