Interesting Diagnosis

Guest littlesyd85

Guest littlesyd85

As some of you may remember my 10 year old girl Lena was having trouble walking (it started about a month ago). Below are two threads that you may want to read as a reminder.

Lena Can't Walk!

Update On Lena's Condition

Well poor Lena's symptoms just would not improve (she could walk but only for short periods of time and she was still in a lot of pain). So I called Dr. Bill Feeman and we decided that I should bring her back in. Because Bill didn't do the original exam (he wasn't in that day so a colleague did it) he went ahead and did another. He decided that it would be best to take her to OSU and get Dr. Couto's opinion. The biggest fear was that she has a tumor in her spinal cord and that we would have to put her down. So I scrambled and pulled some of my Greyhound Adoption of Ohio strings and managed to get in to see Dr. Couto yesterday (Thursday).

The visit to OSU went great! Dr. Couto is awesome. I have met him before, but it wasn't a "clinical" thing. What a long day though, I left my house at 7am and got home at 7:30pm (it takes about 2.5 hours to get there from my house). Both Lena and I were exhausted! It turns out that Lena has a blood clot in her aorta (which is the main blood supply to both hind legs) that is 6 inches in length. He was actually amazed that Lena was able to walk as well as she could because so little blood was making it to her hind legs. They found this out by doing an ultrasound. It was truly amazing to see the images of her aorta, no wonder she is in so much pain. Right now the treatment is 1/2 a baby aspirin a day and a 20mg Pepcid AC once a day. And we will keep her on the Tramadol 2 to 3 times a day as needed until she is feeling better. According to Dr. Couto this clotting issue has only been diagnosed in greyhounds and thus far has been treatable using baby aspirin. He said there is always the possibility that we will have to put her on a blood thinner, but he has never had to do that. Isn't that amazing?! To think 1/2 a baby aspirin a day will break up a clot.

Anyways, they also seem to think that she may have a kidney disease that is common in greyhounds (I can't remember what he said it was). It seems that she is leaking protein into her kidneys then subsequently peeing it out. I am waiting on a call from Dr. Couto to confirm (the urinalysis wasn't complete when we left OSU). He said that this is also a very treatable condition.

So I am feeling so much better about everything. In fact I slept good last night for the first time in probably 2 weeks! I'm still trying to be cautiously optimistic though. I don't want to get too excited and then have something terrible go wrong. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers from everyone!

Wow - 6 inches :eek So glad Dr. C could see her & give you a treatment plan. Hope she feels better soon.

(BTW, I love the name Lena - my grandmother had a friend many years ago by that name. She was quite a character & I remember her fondly.)

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Energy11

Dr. Couto is a SAINT! I am soo glad you got to see him! I wanted to bring Curfew to OSU, to get a real diagnosis, but we just cannot afford it.

Love and hugs to your baby girl!

Isn't Dr. Couto fabulous. I had met him at Dewey and spoke with him. But last month was my first visit to see him clinically. I was doing very well with Diamond's diagnosis until he walked in the room and asked how I was. I burst out crying. And he hugged me.

It made the 10 hr trip out there to see him. And it was worth every minute and every penny.

By the way, does Glomerulo nephritis sound like the disease he was talking about?

Guest littlesyd85
By the way, does Glomerulo nephritis sound like the disease he was talking about?

It could be... I feel like he shortened a few times to GN. But to be honest he was talking so fast and I was so happy that Lena was going to be alright, that it is hard for me to remember.

Guest shanesmom

What a relief to have a diagnosis and a plan. Prayers that Lena makes a speedy recovery. If you need anything, don't hesitate to call me. I'm not very far from you.

Another wow! I hope the baby aspirin does the trick quickly and completely, and that her kidneys are OK.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

So glad you got a diagnosis. I can't imagine two better people to trust my greyhound with than Dr. Feeman and Dr. Couto!!

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

OMG, we had a dog with GN who also had trouble walking. I'll have to check his records and see if he had an aortic ultrasound to look for this. This is valuable information; thanks for sharing it with us!

I think I need to collect all the medical wisdom that's on this forum and put it in a binder for quick reference. : B)

:wubsite

It could be... I feel like he shortened a few times to GN. But to be honest he was talking so fast and I was so happy that Lena was going to be alright, that it is hard for me to remember.

Also called PLN... protein losing neuropathy. Glad you received a diagnosis--isn't OSU the best??? :colgate

Oh wow, that is SO interesting! I'm glad you were able to get some answers and that her condition is treatable. Dr. Couto has got to be the best ever! :yay

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest littlesyd85

*UPDATE*

Lena's urinalysis confirmed that she has glomerulonephritis. But like I mentioned before it is treatable with medication. Also she is already showing signs of improvement which just amazes me that after only two treatment of baby aspirin she is starting to get better.

Guest HappyHarleysMom

That's great news about Lena that she's starting to feel better already!! I'm so glad that her problems are treatable.

:clap:clap:clap keep getting better, Lena!

I got to thinking about Lena; actually I've been thinking about her ever since you posted!

I also got to wondering -- did Dr C say which condition the baby aspirin is treating? Aspirin is standard treatment for GN but does it affects the clot itself? IOW, does it dissolve the clot or does it thin the blood just enough to be able to get around it?

So glad to hear Lena is doing better. We had a beloved greyhound who didn't survive GN but he wasn't getting baby aspirin; he was getting a full buffered aspirin and not every day.

Guest littlesyd85
I got to thinking about Lena; actually I've been thinking about her ever since you posted!

I also got to wondering -- did Dr C say which condition the baby aspirin is treating? Aspirin is standard treatment for GN but does it affects the clot itself? IOW, does it dissolve the clot or does it thin the blood just enough to be able to get around it?

So glad to hear Lena is doing better. We had a beloved greyhound who didn't survive GN but he wasn't getting baby aspirin; he was getting a full buffered aspirin and not every day.

The baby aspirin treats the clot itself. It breaks it up slowly. He has me giving her Pepcid AC as well because the aspirin can be hard on the stomach and esophagus.

For the glomerulonephritis Dr. Couto would like me to put her on 10 mg of enalapril twice a day and 25 mg of spironolactone twice a day. They (Dr. Feeman and Dr. Couto) would also like me to put her on a fatty acid supplement.