I Think Merlin Is In Pain

I'm going to call the vet, but was hoping for some advice from you all, too.

Okay, so I joked in yesterday's thread that Merlin was being a drama queen about the injury he sustained at playgroup on Sunday, but over the past 24 hours he has acted REALLY subdued and depressed. He licks his lips and stress yawns and cries when I put a little more cream on his wound. It's still looking very red and angry. As far as I can see it's just a scrape - all his fur was torn off, but there's no cut, it's just substantial and looks very, very raw. So far, I've just applied neosporin to it and kept it clean. I've also used some R-7 healing cream that's bitter-tasting, because he kept trying to lick it. I've had to bandage it during the day so he doesn't bother it.

So my question is - I have some Rimadyl my vet gave me from when he had a fever. Can I give him one or would that be overkill? If not, what else can I give him for the pain? I don't want to stuff him with medication unless I have to, but he is really not himself, and I'm worried. Merlin can be a drama queen, but nowhere near as much as his brother - whenever he's had injuries in the past, he's been quite the stoic, if anything.

Advice? I suspect my vet will be closed tomorrow for Veterans' Day, so if I need to stop by for meds I need to do it this afternoon...

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Energy11

Licking lips and nose are usually signs of nausea (might be from licking the cream). Yawning is a sign of stress. Crying, obviously pain. Red and nasty ... Maybe the scrap is infected, and that is why he is feeling "punky?"

Hard to say without seeing it. Sounds like you are doing everything right, but he isn't feeling well. I would get it looked at, myself, based on the symptoms. RE: the Rimadyl: If he IS nauseated, the Rimadyl might further upset his stomach, as a lot of NSAIDS do.

He just sounds like there might be something more going on with that wound that you can see. Good Luck and I hope he feels better, soon!

p.s. When I worked the vet in Florida, we never closed for Veteran's Day. That is more of a federal/state and city holiday.

Edited by Energy11

Guest SoulsMom

Could we get a picture of the scrape? Soul had a big one recently and it didn't bother him at all . . . .is the area swollen at all? Also, they do make neosporian with pain releif . . .

Poor bug :(

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest twhitehouse

Sorry to hear Merlin got hurt! I didn't hear him yelp your anything at the paydate, but you must have noticed it when you got home?

Not really any advice here but I agree that Rimadyl probably wouldn't help him that much. Does it look infected or anything? Where is the scratch located?

If you can't get to the vets this afternoon, I would say you're fine to wait until Thursday, just keep an eye on him.

Poor baby hope he feels better soon......

Our wonderful vet once suggested for us to use 1 x 250mg paracetamol tablet to ease discomfort for a 25kg (small - medium) greyhound, and if we only had 500mg in our first aid kit to snap it in half.

BUT having said that I would suggest you speak with your vet first before taking any action.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

If he whacked his leg hard enough, it might not be the scrape, but perhaps he has what we'd call a bone bruise in a human? Don't think that's even possible, but..you know what I mean.

Since the vet prescribed the Rimadyl for Merlin, I would think it would be perfectly reasonable to give him a dose.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

We use metacam in these situations for minor pain relief and the best thing for scrapes we've found is Granulex V, aerosol spray. It removes any dead tissue and stimulates growth of new tissue. Perfect for scrapes and minor cuts. It's actually kind of sticky when it dries and it works really well. I think it may have originally been developed for horses and cattle for things like wire cuts. That might help the scrape if you can get your hands on some.

Hope the magician heals up quickly.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

We use metacam in these situations for minor pain relief and the best thing for scrapes we've found is Granulex V, aerosol spray. It removes any dead tissue and stimulates growth of new tissue. Perfect for scrapes and minor cuts. It's actually kind of sticky when it dries and it works really well. I think it may have originally been developed for horses and cattle for things like wire cuts. That might help the scrape if you can get your hands on some.

Hope the magician heals up quickly.

Granulex is for horses and it's a great product. Not something you would probably have on hand but if you can get it, it's excellent and used on dogs all the time

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Thank you Derek! I'm going to order some of that.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I am not very savvy when it comes to medications (both for humans and non-humans).

I can't get a picture of it right now as I'm at work, I'll try later. I thought maybe the bandage was on too tight. I really don't think it was, but I loosened it a bit. It really doesn't look infected, just red.

Maybe he IS being a drama queen after all... : :unsure or maybe I am :rolleyes::lol Luckily I'll be home tomorrow to keep an eye on him.

ETA I just looked up Granulex... Whoa! $23 for a 4oz bottle! I'd better start buying lottery tickets!! :gmark

Edited by MerlinsMum

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Our vet usually doesn't like to start Rimadyl without doing bloodwork first. Not sure if that's standard or not. I use the antibiotic ointment+pain relief. If it keeps up, maybe he hurt something besides his leg during the same incident?

I think you may be right - as Susan (George's mum) suggested, maybe he bashed it somehow and it feels bruised. It's not swollen.

I didn't even notice anything until later that day, Sunday afternoon, when I was cuddling with him. It hadn't bothered him at all until then.

I'll keep up the ointment and watch him, I guess...

Guest greytbookert

oh poor Merlin!

I hope he is back to normal soon. I don't have any suggestions that haven't already been made, but I'm hoping for a quick return to his antics :)

I swear by this stuff. Use it all the time for healing wounds. It, too, sluffs of the dead tissue, etc. I used to get it through my vet. Now, I get it online. Good Luck!

http://www.atozvetsupply.com/ProductDetail...mp;Show=ExtInfo

My vet has given this to me a couple of times, most recently for a little wound Neyla got from being nipped. I think it works best for open wounds that can't be sutured, not sure it will help if the area is just raw, but maybe if you post a pic we'll be able to tell more.

I hope he's feeling better soon! :hope

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I am a big fan of "BAND-AID" Hurt-Free Antiseptic Wash - human anesthetic first aid antiseptic. "Relieves Pain - Fights Germs". It comes in a squirt bottle or a foam pump from what I have been told. I like the squirt bottle for irrigating cuts or scrapes. The anesthetic properties seem to work, too.

If I were a betting person, some TLC and extra treats from Mom tomorrow will have him feeling much better! That Merlin is such a doll!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Just seeing this, Kerry and hoping there has been improvment for your sweet boy.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Have you successfully used Neosporin on Merlin before this? Believe it or not, people--and dogs--can be allergic to it. Applying Neosporin on a scrape of mine would make the injury much more serious and inflamed.

For me (and my mother and sister, with the same allergy), it's polysporin products.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest RocketDog

Hope Merlin's feeling better now... but FYI - that little aerosol bottle of Granulex will last you a long, long time! The price may seem high but when you can get a few years' use out of it it's not so bad. We keep it on hand because not a week goes by without a scrape or cut or rugburn between our two!

I swear by EMT spray and ointment for very quick healing and pain relief on wounds. Do you think it could just be that it is very sore, sometimes those types of wounds will sting, remember when you were a kid and you got a cement burn where it took the skin off, it seemed like it would get tight and pull as it healed. Poor boy, I do hope he feels better soon.