Strider Is Wobbly

Guest StriderDog

Guest StriderDog

I came home yesterday to find Strider's front end alert and happy to see me, but his hind end was acting quite drunk. He wobbles and staggers when he walks and I can tell he's doing a lot to maintain balance when he stands still too.

I'm taking him to the vet as soon as it opens today.

I don't think it's vestibular syndrome (which I saw before in a childhood dog) because there's no head tilt, eye movement or nausea. In fact, he doesn't appear to be bothered much at all. He's eating with gusto, playing bitey-face with Daza (while laying down) and just being his usual self - apart from a drunk butt.

He went to poop this morning and fell back (thankfully missing the poop). :(

I am so very scared. I love this dog so much. I don't know what a vet is going to be able to do for him, though. I don't want to think about it.

I'm not ready for him to be old. :cry1

----------------------------------------------------

*Update: The vet thinks Strider has Intervertebral Disk Disease. His toes don't knuckle under, so that's good. But his ataxia (drunken weaving) means that he's somewhere between a mild and a severe case. We're going to try managing it medically before looking at surgical options. He has been prescribed Deramaxx to manage the inflammation and Tramadol for the pain. He'll be kept quiet/confined for a few weeks to see if he can regain some of the function he's lost.

The vet basically said he'll either get better over time or get worse really soon. :sad1 My poor old man.

Edited by StriderDog

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending good thoughts that it's something treatable. It kind of sounds like what happened to Chase's mom Banjo about 7-8 weeks ago when she had a mini stroke. His "Mom" says she's fully recovered now. Good luck and of course, please keep us posted as you can.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I wonder if it might be an FCE (stroke in the spine). Cora's was on one side, but it can affect both. It's as though they don't know quite where the affected limbs are. But the prognosis is often very good. Cora made an almost complete recovery.

ETA: I can't believe I forgot this-- :goodluck. I hope Strider heals quickly and well.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

My guess would be either FCE or a mini-stroke. Most FCE dogs can make a complete recovery and strokes in dogs don't seen to be as debilitating in dogs as often as they are in humans.

Sending you and your boy good thoughts. Please keep us posted.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest fastdogs

If it was an FCE, steroid treatment within the first 24 hour is crucial. My guy had an FCE, but didn't recover use of his hind quarters. We ultimately had to send him to the bridge. Don't wait to get him looked at.

Good luck.

ETA: Water therapy can be an effective treatment to get his strength back, too.

Edited by fastdogs

My boy Rascal had an FCE episode. Because he is a regular acupuncture patient, my vet did not give the Prednisone. Rascal made a full recovery, although there are times he still looks a bit "drunk" in the back legs.

good luck!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Sending prayers for Strider.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

sending prayers!!!! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

:hope:grouphug:hope:grouphug:hope:grouphug:hope:grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Spencer's symptoms are almost identical and it's due to compressed discs in his lumbar spine. I'm sending prayers for a positive outcome for Strider!