Update, Post 30: Phene Has A Hard, Pea Size Lump On His Ribcage

robinw

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Murphy has 2 of them, one on his side and one on his behind, I have them checked at each vet visit and so far they have not changed. My vet said they are cysts and as long as they don't enlarge they can be left alone.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Thinking good thoughts for you both tomorrow.

Small, pea sized, movable all really good words :)

How is the shape of it? like really round? the reason I ask is it's not normal for cancer to grow round. Any sort of cancer type nasties I've seen are always misshapen. :)

We're back from the vet. The lump is too small to do a needle biopsy at this point. Since Phene needs a dental, we're going to remove it and send it out for analysis when the dental is completed; probably in February, unless it changes or his teeth seem to worsen. Due to the size, location and consistency, the vet didn't seem terribly concerned but he would like to get it checked out when it's either bigger (if it's bigger) or during other surgery (or dental).

Another thing I'd noticed about Phene is that he'll no longer climb the stairs in the dark. The vet checked out his eyes and showed me changes in his lens. He said that it's difficult to tell at this point whether it's just a matter of aging eyes or the beginning of cataracts, but he believes that he is in fact having difficulty seeing in the dark. His vision is something else I'll have to keep an eye on.

Thanks to all who offered advice and good wishes :bow

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I too was thinking about you.

Glad it wasn't something that had to be removed ASAP because it might be serious.

So far.. so good!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest TBSFlame
We're back from the vet. The lump is too small to do a needle biopsy at this point. Since Phene needs a dental, we're going to remove it and send it out for analysis when the dental is completed; probably in February, unless it changes or his teeth seem to worsen. Due to the size, location and consistency, the vet didn't seem terribly concerned but he would like to get it checked out when it's either bigger (if it's bigger) or during other surgery (or dental).

Another thing I'd noticed about Phene is that he'll no longer climb the stairs in the dark. The vet checked out his eyes and showed me changes in his lens. He said that it's difficult to tell at this point whether it's just a matter of aging eyes or the beginning of cataracts, but he believes that he is in fact having difficulty seeing in the dark. His vision is something else I'll have to keep an eye on.

Thanks to all who offered advice and good wishes :bow

It is most likely nothing. If it is something it will grow fast and you will know way before the dental if it is something to worry about.

That's good news for now Robin. We'll keep fingers crossed...

I've noticed Frightning bumps into stuff a lot and her eyes are starting to get that green hazey look (she's 10). We bought some LED night lights (the ones that don't get hot) and put then in the bedroom by the dog beds and in the hallway. Helps us all get around better in the dark.

Glad the vet doesn't think the lump is a concern! About his eyes - what can you do - does he need to wear doggles outside for example?

no, not at this point. it's sad. he cries when he stands in the hallway at the bottom of the stairs until i turn on the light; then he comes upstairs. then again, this is the same guy who refused to move in the vet's office because there was a leaf stuck to his foot. he stood there holding his foot up until i removed it. the entire office made fun of him :lol

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Aww, poor Phene. Echo can certainly sympathize. She doesn't see too well in the dark anymore either.

I bought some really nice LED nightlights for her and put them strategically in the house so it would light up areas she frequents. Just a thought. :)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Big enough now for a needle biopsy?

i don't know. i can see it sticking out through his fur now, while last week I couldn't. back to the vet, i guess. this sucks :cry1

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Max has had (and has now) a couple of these. One we took off after it was just sitting there for a couple of years because it suddenly started to grow extra wart-looking lumps on it (it was benign) He has another covered by hair that just appeared probably a couple of years ago and hasn't changed one bit. There is another black one (same colour as skin in that location, no hair) that occasionally pops with some bloody discharge, shrinks away and then grows back again. So hopefully whatever is sprouting on the Phener-weiner-beaner is innocent and non-worrisome! Fingers crossed...

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

I'm sorry to hear this, Robin... I'm keeping my fingers very firmly crossed for Phene and you. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.