Update, Post 30: Phene Has A Hard, Pea Size Lump On His Ribcage

robinw

A few days ago I found a hard, pea size lump on Phene's upper rib cage. It's hard and I can move it. We're going to the vet Wednesday afternoon.

After all of the screw ups with Loca, I don't want to leave any room for mistakes either by me or by the new vet. What kinds of questions should I be asking? Are there any types of tests I should keep in mind? What about possibilities of the cause of the lump? Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

thanks

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

I'd probably get it aspirated if at all possible, and ask the vet about removing it and getting a biopsy, just to be safe. Good Luck! Hope it is nothing!

Guest SLM4956
We have one of those on top of our back...Vet checked it and it was just a Cyst. Best wishes and crossing fingers that it will be something simple, like a Cyst!! :colgate

What color is the lump?

looks like the same colour as his skin.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Hoping it's nothing serious.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Has it changed size since you noticed it?

Sounds like a cyst, or maybe a wart to me, especially since it's moveable.

Good luck on Wednesday---let us know.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I don't have any advice, but wanted to send good thoughts to you and Phene, hoping it is a cyst or a wart!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Movable is probably a cyst or ingrown hair sort of thing. Good to get it checked. Hope it's nothing!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Chels has one that is moveable (it's definately in her skin as opposed to attached to underlying tissue) we had an FNA done just to be sure it was nothing bad and our vet concluded it is a sebaceous cyst. I'd definately get him in to get it checked out, sending prayers it's nothing nasty.

Robin, Walter had a few of these over the years and they were just cysts. Some of them would burst and drain, and others would just do nothing. We're crossing our fingers that it's nothing serious.

Peanut had a small, moveable lump on her rear leg that went away before we could even get to the vet to look at it. Hopefully the one you've found is nothing and I'll be keeping you and Phene in my thoughts Robin!

FWIW, Robin, I usually trust vet's judgement on things like this: "That's nothing" or "Let's keep an eye on that and take it off if it grows" or "Let's get that off soon and biopsy." IIRC once I did have a couple "That's nothing" things taken off because we were doing a dental; they were sent out for biopsy and were indeed nothing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

FWIW, Robin, I usually trust vet's judgement on things like this: "That's nothing" or "Let's keep an eye on that and take it off if it grows" or "Let's get that off soon and biopsy." IIRC once I did have a couple "That's nothing" things taken off because we were doing a dental; they were sent out for biopsy and were indeed nothing.

loca died as a result of many "that's nothings"; at the very least she was forced to live too long with untreatable pain because i was always told that it was nothing serious. i also had a cat died because of a "that's nothing" that turned out to be cancerous. much of it was my fault for not getting second opinions when i should have and i never want that to happen again.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Echo has had one of those for years on her ribs. It's pea sized, skin coloured, hard and round like a marble, and attached to the skin. Vet has looked at it and says it's nothing to fuss with. It hasn't changed in size or orientation so I don't fuss with it. :)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Raisin, as I think I have told you, had a moveable lump under her armpit. It did turn out to be an enlarged lymph node due to RMSF (Rocky Mounted Spotted Fever). I had it removed to be on the safew side.

Yes, I think I would have it removed if you can afford it and if he can tolerate the anesthesia ok and just feel more assured. PLUS let the vet send blood to Protatek.

That is my unqualified thoughts on this. Further, I send prayers and good thoughts to Phoenix.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest jettcricket

loca died as a result of many "that's nothings"; at the very least she was forced to live too long with untreatable pain because i was always told that it was nothing serious. i also had a cat died because of a "that's nothing" that turned out to be cancerous. much of it was my fault for not getting second opinions when i should have and i never want that to happen again.

I can so relate Robin. I had some not so good advise too with my Cricket. :(

We can't go back, but you will do the best for your Phene. I'm sure your boy will be fine. :)