Which Leg Seems To Get The Most Cancer?

Which leg had OS  

44 members have voted

1. 1. For all those whose greys had OS, which leg was it? Multiple choice allowed for those with multiple dogs

• Right front
    • Left front
    • Right rear
    • Left rear
    • Other (like spine)

Am I allowed to vote for Darcy Deerhound? Hers was a front right.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Jamey had his right front leg amputated in June.

ETA, it was in the middle of his humerus, with no "sunburst" pattern, we think we caught it in the early stages. Results of needle aspirates were inconclusive until his leg broke on the X-ray table. His leg was amputated and it was DX as OS AFTER the amputation.

Edited by mom2four

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Wow, I didn't know this. I'd always heard 'away from the elbow and towards the knee'. In other words, if it's a front leg it's either the 'shoulder' or 'wrist' and on a back leg it's a 'knee'.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Jack's was his distal left femur (knee).

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Wow, there seems to be an overwhelming majority of osteo on the front right leg :( It's something I never realized before. Thankfully I've never experienced osteo first hand yet, but it's always on the back of my mind anytime I even see a slight limp.

Has Dr. Couto or anyone else come up with any theories as to why it occurs with such frequency on this particular leg. With such a propensity for one area there has to be something to it. All that comes to mind for me is possible stresses while racing. Do greyhounds lead with that leg (that foot hits the ground first)?

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Guest Downtownhoundz
Wow, there seems to be an overwhelming majority of osteo on the front right leg :( It's something I never realized before. Thankfully I've never experienced osteo first hand yet, but it's always on the back of my mind anytime I even see a slight limp.

Has Dr. Couto or anyone else come up with any theories as to why it occurs with such frequency on this particular leg. With such a propensity for one area there has to be something to it. All that comes to mind for me is possible stresses while racing. Do greyhounds lead with that leg (that foot hits the ground first)?

I'm wondering that same thing myself. Maybe it has something about the pressure on that particular leg as they round the corner.... :dunno

If I remember Dr. Couto correctly it almost always the right front. I could be wrong. Maybe shoot an email to him.

I've seen osteo in all 4 limbs as well as ribs and a few other places. So it may be more frequent in the front right but not exclusive. I've sent Dr Couto an email, I'll let you know.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Brooke was an unusual one, and had osteo in both hind legs.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Guest Energy11
Jamey had his right front leg amputated in June.

ETA, it was in the middle of his humerus, with no "sunburst" pattern, we think we caught it in the early stages. Results of needle aspirates were inconclusive until his leg broke on the X-ray table. His leg was amputated and it was DX as OS AFTER the amputation.

We caught Max's immediately, as well ... there was no "sunburst" pattern, either. He had three good months with us. Amazing how is it almost always the right front, and Max's was the proximal humerus.

Left front.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

If I remember Dr. Couto correctly it almost always the right front. I could be wrong. Maybe shoot an email to him.

The answer from Dr Couto is "Nope…At least not statistically"

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.