Bl's Last Flight.

Guest BLIsStillFlying

Guest BLIsStillFlying

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and encouragement during Bradley's hospital visit. We were given hope on Sunday but on Monday they decided to do a CT scan of his leg because of his age, breed and severity of break--he did have bone cancer. It was eating his bone from the inside and wasn't showing on any of the X-rays. It was also in his lungs. They only thing they could do was--amputate the leg, put him on three painkillers (due to the severity of the arthritis in two of his remaining legs), chemo drugs and anti-nausea drugs and it would give him around 6 months. I made the hardest decision of my entire life and opted to save Bradley the pain of major surgery and cancer and have him put down.

Not ready to talk about it now or write him a proper memorial, but I thought I'd let everyone know. Thanks again for your support during such a difficult time.

I wish I didn't feel so guilty...and I wish it hadn't happened at all.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry for your loss. Please don't feel guilty-you loved him and did what was best for him. :bighug

:f_red:f_red:f_red

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest greymama002

So sorry on your loss of precious Bradley :angelwings:gh_run

Please release yourself from guilt; you did the best you could to keep him from suffering any more. :bighug

Guest Becky__R

Please don't feel guilty. I support your decision. I'm so, so sorry about your loss. Cancer is a thief, and it is not your fault. :(

Guest PhillyPups

I am so sorry the vicious cancer came and stole your precious Bradley way too soon. I know what you are feeling and want to send you :bighug

Guest KennelMom

As impossible as the decision was, I think it was the kindest and most selfless one you could make for your precious greybaby :grouphug I'm so sorry :(

Guest Energy11

We are VERY sorry for your loss!

Please do not feel guilty, as you did the RIGHT thing, getting him out of pain, and sending him "flying" to a better place.

Love, Dee and The Five :f_red:f_red:gh_run2

Guest trevdog

I'm so sorry...you had no way of knowing what was going on and released him from the pain....sometimes it's all you can do...

Oh I'm so very sorry. :( Please don't feel guilty - you gave Brad a chance & a wonderful life. He'll be with you forever. :grouphug

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

You were his very best friend and helped him to be free from pain.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest greytful4

Many of us have been down this road and feel your anguish, please don't beat yourself up. Another angel is at the bridge met with a joyous reunion of those who have gone before! :grouphug

Hugs to you. I completely understand how you are feeling. We had to make the same decision two months ago. I still feel guilty, but I know I did the right thing in the end for Rusty. If we would have opted to bring him home, it would not have been for him, but for us and that would not have been fair to Rusty. You did the best thing that you could for your pup. He is now running pain free.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

You gave Bradley the biggest gift of all, you released him from the pain and the terrible cancer monster that was eating him up.

I lost my Pup to Osteosarcoma, and I know personally that there isn't anything any of us can do to ease your pain right now. Just know that we are all here for you when you are ready to talk about it.

Sending a gentle hug your way today. I'm so sorry you had to go down this path.

You may find some comfort in reading this, that is also posted here on Greytalk:

For those who have expirenced a Loss

Cory

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

My heart goes out to you.

Godspeed, most precious pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.