Fear Of Thunderstorms

Tornado is 9 1/2 now. He has always been afraid of thunderstorms, but lately it seems to be a lot

worse. We have had so many thunderstorms in the last few months, I've lost count. I feel so

terrible for him. He is allowed to go in the cellar (which is usually off limits to him) and that

does help, but not enough. Last night he vomited three separate times.

I'd like to get a medicine to help him. He does have a heart murmer (low grade). I will be

asking his vet the same questions, but I'd like to know from other grey owners who do

use medication, what do you use?

Edited by tornadosgirl
2wck1zc.jpg

Guest Energy11

Put am old t-shirt on your baby ... makes them feel secure and cuts down on them feeling the static electricity! ME??? I SWEAR by Valium 5 mg, if you know a storm is approaching. I also use Bach's Rescue Remedy, which acts VERY quickly. The new formula has no alcohol! Good Luck! Cari is a MESS during T-storms~

Guest BatesieGreys

I am all about benadryl, and try rubbing him down with a dryer sheet when a storm is approaching (also cuts down on static electricity) and try cotton balls in his ears if you think the noise might be making his fear worse. Good luck.

Other non-prescription option is melatonin. If he's taking any other medicines at all, discuss anything you give him with his vet first.

Most used prescriptions: valium, clomicalm, and alprazomlam (off-label use of people Xanax), though there are many other off label anxiety meds that can be tried. The main thing to remember is that not all drugs work the same for all dogs (or all people) and you may need to try different doses or different drugs to find something that works for your guy. You want something that is fairly fast acting, and something that clears his system fairly quickly as well, unless you live in an area of the country that gets long storms.

Also, go to Training and Behavior and search for "thunderstorm" or "thunderstorm phobia" or "anxiety" or "separation anxiety" as many of the fixes overlap.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My female greyhound, Cheyenne, is petrified of thunder storms. She can hear them coming before anyone else does. It is painful to watch her as she shakes, stares at walls, paces, etc. I have used the melatonin, which seems to calm her, but the thing that works the best is something she found on her own. She heads for the bathtub/shower. The shower curtain is half closed and she lays down flat as a pancake and becomes calm. I read somewhere it has to do with the material of the tub and the pipes mitigating the electric in the air (or something to that effect). She doesn't even want a blanket or towel in there with her. Just the rubber mat, the cool tub and the shower curtain partially drawn. It truly works for her.

10mg of valium is the only thing that works for us.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Maybe its time for a Thundercoat or t-shirt. Until Beryl made Isabella her thundercoats, she would wear a good old Haines T-shirt, knotted up at the back so its snug. Did a world of good for her. Now she stares at me until I put it on her. Works pretty well on the 4th of July too.

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

If your dog is scared of the thunder it won't help, but if he is sensitive to the electrical charges in the air the Storm Defender Cape might work well for you. It is not cheap but it does come with a money back guarantee. What's the harm in trying it? I have known a couple of dogs it has done wonders for. One would go to the coat closet and ask for his cape hours before the storm came.

http://www.stormdefender.com/

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

10mg of valium is the only thing that works for us.

Same here.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

As an alternative or in addition to Rescue Remedy I use 'Star of Bethlehem'.......for terror/or fear

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest sirsmom

So, what can you do if you are on a hike a few miles from your car, everything is fine, and the dogs hear a loud noise or thunder and one freaks and starts pulling with all her might. This has happened more than once and I always wind up nearly being dragged by a 65 lb dog. Trying to figure out some calming methods--I tried hugging her, talking softly to her and ignoring her and nothing works. Has this happened to anyone else?

So, what can you do if you are on a hike a few miles from your car, everything is fine, and the dogs hear a loud noise or thunder and one freaks and starts pulling with all her might. This has happened more than once and I always wind up nearly being dragged by a 65 lb dog. Trying to figure out some calming methods--I tried hugging her, talking softly to her and ignoring her and nothing works. Has this happened to anyone else?

Does pup know some obedience? Sit, Heel, Watch Me, etc. can help get dog to focus back on you instead of freaking out.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Cuznsalsmom

Sal is really scared of thunderstorms - we give him 10 mg Clorazepate - also from the valium family. Works great but doesn't make him "loopy"! Good luck with your pupper.

Guest meakah

I use HomeoPet Travel Anxiety here. I had it on hand for the cats (when moving) and tried it on Koda during a storm....now I swear by it. It makes them quite dopey really.

Last night was a good test....we had THE storm of the year last night...135 km/h winds, egg sized hail, constant thunder and lightening, trees littering the streets.... Koda vomitted she was soooo stressed. :( 5 drops of that on her tongue and she came out of the bathroom (where she hid for almost 2 hours) and crashed on the floor of the living room...barely lifting her head when I came in and out (extremely rare for her because she is a spook).

Something that helps Sunny for thunder anxiety is Calms Forte - I get the tablets at the local vitamin store. I give him 3 tabs when a storm is approaching. Also use Rescue Remedy if it sneaks up on us. He has a safe spot in the spare room on the floor between the foot of the bed and the closet. I have a DAP diffuser there, that may help a little. He also wears a DAP collar during the thunderstorm season (each one works for about a month). None of these helps relieve his terror during fireworks, though, so we got a scrip for acepromazine - helps take the edge off his extreme fireworks fear.

Good luck - Sue

GT-Sig-2-09.jpg

Visit My Website Visit My Etsy Store Visit My eBay Store Part of all proceeds benefit Greyhound adoption

Guest Grhndad

This is something we just started using and it works. It's best if you can give it before the storms hit but it sill start working after a bit. "Pet Relaxant" by oxyfresh. It contains 100mg Valerian, 100mg German Chamomile, 50mg Kava Kava, 50 mg St. Johns Wort and 300 mg Melatonin. Two tablets initially and then 2 more after an hour if needed. It mellows them out with no dopeness

I know that my Asia is afraid of noise from guns and firecrackers, a POP POP can send her into state. But a thunderstorm she is not afraid of. The house can be shaking from a thunderstorm and lightening flashing but not a problem.

I give 2 benadryl if it ever gets worse I will ask my vet for valium.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Guest daberle

My female is afraid of fireworks and loud storms.

It was getting worse to the point where she would stand on my

bed and pant- shaking for hours.

I've tried everything..Peace & Calming, Rescue Remdy,benadryl etc nothing worked

What did:

Composure Liquid ( from KV Vet) and Herbsmith Calm Anxiety (powder -check the website

to find a petstore in your area that carries it.)

Herbsmith powder needs to given a few weeks before the event it has to build up

in their system.

I add both to her food twice day its simply amazing.

We are having storms now she just lefts her head and lays back down. July 4th was nothing,..

no pacing, panting, shaking.

Has anyone else tried these products?

Danette