Echo Is Slowing Down :(

Echo is only 8, but really starting to show her age these days. She is built really long and she's had back trouble the whole 4 years I've had her, though no vet has been able to pinpoint it exactly. She's getting out of shape and she has a little bit of trouble at the end of only a half mile walk. She doesn't play or run as much as she used to. She looks and acts a lot older than 8. I guess it's about time to put her on Rimadyl. Maybe it's because of what I just went through with Julio, but it feels like Rimadyl is just the beginning of the end.

I guess this post is more about me expressing a concern than looking for advice.

Three months ago I had 4 dogs. Now I'm down to two. I'm not ready to lose another one. :(

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Acupuncture..seriously!

Our Echo was starting to slow down after she injured her back in Feb 08. We started her on acupuncture (did only 4 treatments) and whammo, back to her normal nutty self.. even at 11!

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest! It worked wonders for Cody's back!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Since your up in Auburn any chance you can catch up with Dr Gillete?

He's right there in Auburn and if anyone can tell you what is up with Echo it would sure to be him.

He also owns or did own racers. He's a super nice guy and really does know his stuff with greyhounds.

just a suggestion. Sorry she's slowing down, it's hard to watch these hounds age

I'd listen to Heather. She definitely knows her stuff. She's helped me more times than you can imagine. I'm sorry to hear Echo is having such a hard time. My Heathers suggestion of a vet may hold the answer.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Worth seeing a good doc.

Could be partly the heat, too. Joseph is a young thing and is a SLUG in summer.

Last but not least, if her system tolerates anti-inflammatories, not the beginning of the end at all. We had a non-grey who took butazolidin for YEARS and outlived/outplayed most others of her breed.

Hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Another fan of acupuncture here

Totally agree with Batmom, several of my Greys have had to go on Rimadyl or Metacam and were on it for years.

Wayne's on it and has been for years

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I know what you mean - Spencer is a very old 8. Same type of issues. I just enjoy him one day at a time and make sure he's happy. He just finished up his Rimadyl but I'm going to call and see if I can get him back on. He seems less stable on his back legs without it.

I was going to suggest a chiropractor too. The one we take Sunny to was telling me how important it is for older dogs to have regular adjustments. He said people assume that when their dog starts slowing down it's age-related but a lot of the time the dog has some misalignments in its spine that need adjusting. Might be worth a try. I trust the chiropractor more than the vet for anything joint-related!

Edited by Hawthorn

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest Energy11

First of all, you can't beat a vet from Auburn! My former vet/employer in Florida, as an Auburn Grad :-))

My Staggerlee will be nine in August, and his bloodwork and exam came back perfect. HE lays around most of the day ... he is friskier in the cooler weather. I am not worried about him.

Best of luck! D

Guest KennelMom

I'm sorry to hear Echo isn't doing well. Eight seems so young to act so old :( I've heard great things about Dr. Gillette as well...have you ever had her looked at for lumbosacral stenosis?

It's probably worth a shot. Do you pronounce Gillete like the razor? I don't want to sound like a dummy on the phone, haha. I live literally right across the street from the vet school. I used to walk over there all the time but now Echo won't move fast enough to cross Wire Rd. in time to avoid traffic. :huh And that's even when the light changes in our favor. It's a short light, though, in her defense.

(I'm seeing a funny irony - Echo failed at racing (she finished OOP on her only race) and even today she literally can't "cross the wire." Haha. Bad joke. Sorry.)

How much does acupuncture typically cost?

I'm sorry to hear Echo isn't doing well. Eight seems so young to act so old :( I've heard great things about Dr. Gillette as well...have you ever had her looked at for lumbosacral stenosis?

I've never had a vet check her for it, but I do remember the possibility crossing my mind a couple years ago. She has a lot of trouble laying down and not quite as much trouble getting up. I remember reading about several dogs who had so much trouble getting up that they would drag themselves along the ground while trying to stand upright. She has some trouble but it's nothing like that.

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

The cost for acupuncture varies depending on the area you live in.

Here, it's 66.oo a session and they advise every 10 days at first

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I'm sorry Echo is not feeling up to snuff. I will put in another good word for acupuncture. It helped my Chancy for her LS when six months of chiro failed to produce any noticeable results. Also, joint support supplements are never a bad idea.

First and foremost though, I would do xrays and bloodwork to check her out thoroughly, if it hasn't been done recently.

Smooches for Echo. :kiss2 I adore her from afar. :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest PhillyPups

Racheal, first :bighug to you.

I know I am one of those that when I lose a hound (and I just lost too many close together), I watch the others like a hawk, always looking for things that sometimes are not there, but that is just one of my many quirks :lol

I would take Heathers advice to the bank any day. Dang the lady gave me the answer to an additional two excellent weeks with my Stepper.

Eight is young, if I was in your shoes, I would have Dr. Gillette check her out and discuss chiro/acupuncture while you are there.

I know some of how you are feeling Rachel. I started 2008 with with four hounds and 11 months later, I had two and that was only because Pooter came home late in 2008. It is devastating. I am sorry to hear Miss Echo is slowing down.

I know you said you weren't looking for advice, but may I also chime in and recommend you try Dr. Gillette? I don't know him of course but if Heather has confidence in him, I would as well. Pearl is eight and suffers from kidney disease. She hunts rabbit's with Pooter and runs and plays like a much younger dog. Eight seems awfully young to be seeing what you are seeing with Echo.

I also had great good luck with acupuncture for two of my hounds. Good luck and please let us know how Echo makes out. :bighug for you.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

It's probably worth a shot. Do you pronounce Gillete like the razor? I don't want to sound like a dummy on the phone, haha. I live literally right across the street from the vet school.

Yupper just like the razor :) First name is Rob and here is a website for him and also he has his email that you can contact him by

HERE

He use to run hounds with Alan Olsen at B'ham and he would come down once a month and go over dogs that Alan had questions on. He's so easy to work with and chat with. I know you will really like him and if anyone can figure out what is going on with Echo it would be Rob :)

Rob is like the head of sports medicine with animals at Auburn or something along those lines.

Thanks very much for the responses, guys. Can anyone else tell me how much acupuncture cost you? I just want to get an average figure in my head.

In addition to alternative, I'd have blood work done and a TBD panel.

Supplements can work wonders.

She had bloodwork done last year at her annual checkup and everything was within normal ranges. She and Dazzle are both on Glucosamine/Chondroitin and she has shown no improvement. Dazzle hasn't shown a change either but he is never achy in the first place.

Racheal, first :bighug to you.

I know I am one of those that when I lose a hound (and I just lost too many close together), I watch the others like a hawk, always looking for things that sometimes are not there, but that is just one of my many quirks :lol

You could be right. But I feel like I'm being pretty rational in this case because this has been going on for quite a while. Actually, there was a point last January where she wasn't doing well at all, and I thought I might actually lose her before Julio. But then she started feeling better, and has only been minimally achy up until about a month ago. I'll definitely send Dr. Gillette an email though.

It's probably worth a shot. Do you pronounce Gillete like the razor? I don't want to sound like a dummy on the phone, haha. I live literally right across the street from the vet school.

Yupper just like the razor :) First name is Rob and here is a website for him and also he has his email that you can contact him by

HERE

He use to run hounds with Alan Olsen at B'ham and he would come down once a month and go over dogs that Alan had questions on. He's so easy to work with and chat with. I know you will really like him and if anyone can figure out what is going on with Echo it would be Rob :)

Rob is like the head of sports medicine with animals at Auburn or something along those lines.

Thanks Heather! Does he know you personally? Can I mention your name in the email?

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg