Penny Throwing Up Blood

Guest Tuxsmom

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tuxsmom

i am so sorry to keep you all waiting. i was completely shocked to see 4 pages of prayers posted for my girl. your prayers have worked so far.

OMG i almost killed my Penny

she lost a LOT of blood. her protein levels were way down. she was dehydrated.

vet kept her all day - she had 1 more blood-vomit and 3 more blood-diarreahs. vet kept checking her levels (cant remember technical term)...but they stayed constant throughout the day and DID NOT GO DOWN (this was the important thing, she said).

she gave her sucralfate to coat & heal the digestive tract. she suspects a bad ulcer. her concern is if the ulcer perforates. she does not believe it has done so, yet. she told me what to look for to determine an emergency. said it is very bad news if that happens.

here is the part where i almost killed my baby: she had a severe hookworm infestation! but she had a clean fecal 3 weeks ago when all this started! what has happened is that her ravenous appetite & thirst from the prednisone has turned her into a scavenger in the yard. when getting up with her every two hours, i would watch her poke around the yard and come back in. she has apparently been eating every bit of poo she could get her paws on.

i really really should have thought of this. all of my cats don't have worms, but i didnt think about the strays that meander through, and all the other critters.

vet said the infestation has her intestines in an absolute mess & set her up for the ulcer.

did any of that make sense? Im trying to remember everything.

to sum it all up: Penny is at risk for perforation of her digestive tract, but we are hoping sucralfate & eradication of worms keeps this from happening.

she is also on a type of probiotic called Fortiflora. my vet says it really helps with any digestive disorder.

and i have to go back to just rice & chicken & green beans for a while.. no dog food mixed in.

my Penny could have so easily died today

thank you all for your prayers, i feel that they made a HUGE difference :hope

Guest Energy11

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK GOD SHE IS OKAY!!!

YOU DID NOT almost kill Penny! Curfew and the others EAT DIRT, Tree bark, all of it! Curfew will lay in the straw and EAT dirt!

AN ULCER you can deal with! They heal!

This is okay, and it will clear up! WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dee, Curfew and The Five

My God, what you and your girl have been through. I'm exhausted just keeping up, I can imagine how you both feel.

You didn't almost kill your girl, today, you saved your girl. Be proud of that!

We'll be thinking of you both and hope for a quiet, comfortable night for both of you

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

This is not your fault.

Thank God you got her in in time and now have treatment.

You do need to muzzle her and put a poop cup on (if you don't have one tape the muzzle up far enough that she can't sneak any more snacks). Foxy was terrible for eating poop, especially when she was on pred.

Continuing the prayers and sending hugs.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

So glad to see an update and also happy that Penny is on the mend!!!

Sucralfate/carafate is the bomb! Be sure to check the dosing directions re: other meds and food. I made a schedule for Vinnie so I could keep it straight.

Sending hugs,

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

More prayers and white light for Penny and you. I really hope she turns the corner and comes back home. You can't blame yourself for things you weren't aware of!

Come on Penny. :hope

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Energy11

Boy oh Boy ... I AM A BELIVER! GT's power does work! It worked for Curfew, and now, for Penny!

Many many thanks from Curfew and I ... so far, so good for him, too! :-)) IT IS ALMOST SCARY to see what all of us can do as one!

Edited by Energy11

Guest FordRacingRon

Thank God,,,keep fighting the good fight Penny, the power of GT is working for you,,,and prayers from here as well

I'm glad to hear that Penny made it though the day and that you have a plan of treatment. Still sending prayers for her (and for you, too!) Sounds like it is time for the two of you to curl up on the couch under a nice blanket and have an adult beverage (for you, not her :lol).

Take care, and keep us posted on how she is doing.

Lisa, Matt, Travis, and Kathryn

Furkids: Gracie (Styled Princess) and felines Tilly and Nike

SignatureGreytalk.jpg

Guest Tuxsmom

oh... added piece of info:

Penny is home with me tonight. Vet wanted her to be close to someone and not alone in her kennels only being checked on periodically. Penny is going back to the vets tomorrow for another day of observation and rechecking blood levels.

please please let Penny make it through tonight with no more blood coming up or out or anywhere its not supposed to be

and yeah... i hear a malibu run & pineapple juice calling my name :)

Guest Energy11
oh... added piece of info:

Penny is home with me tonight. Vet wanted her to be close to someone and not alone in her kennels only being checked on periodically. Penny is going back to the vets tomorrow for another day of observation and rechecking blood levels.

please please let Penny make it through tonight with no more blood coming up or out or anywhere its not supposed to be

and yeah... i hear a malibu run & pineapple juice calling my name :)

YEPPERS... That Run sounds good for you right now!!!!!! I'd have one with ya, if I were there! Penny is IN THE BEST PLACE POSSIBLE right now!

Guest Flysmom

We keep sending positive thought for an uneventful night and for a speedy recovery!! Please, don't blame yourself! How could you have possibly known that she has Hookworms?

She's in on the ND candle! Crossing everything crossable that tonight her blood stays exactly where it should.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Oh my gosh, June! Thank goodness you found out what the problem is. Many prayers for your sweet girl. She's been on my mind all day.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee