Raised Feeders

For those of you who didn't read my previous post.

I was visiting with my sister this weekend and her 10 yr. old lab, Chaney, ate his dinner and started to make these gutwrenching sounds that I knew were not good.

Off to a vet and diagnosed with bloat. Surgery performed pronto.

Chaney came home the next night and is as good as new, thank God.

Vet said that raised feeders are a big NO- they could increase the chance of bloat!!!

Ok so let me hear from you experts.

I've always used raised feeders, less strain on their necks. I would think as far as bloat is concerned, if the feeder is too high that would make sense to me, but most of the ones I've seen are not.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Becky__R

I've always heard that raised feeders reduces neck strain and digestive problems. I've always used them, without problem. Well, I mean my greyhound has.

Guest CaleenD

We use raised, but I was recently reading in a greyhound magazine that they actually DO increase the risk of bloat. Raised feeders makes eating easier for dogs and therefore they can eat faster, which makes them more likely to get bloat.

We got 'portion pacers' for our boys. They are big weighted balls that roll around in the bowl and force them to slow down. A length of heavy chain will work too.

Raised feeder and water here. There is data both for raised feeders and against them. It's a personal choice as to what works best for your dogs.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest Elaine

Raised feeders have been shown to increase the incidence of bloat. Raised feeders allow the dogs to gulp air when they are eating. I've had two cases of post-surgical bloat & torsion here. I'd rather deal with just about any other illness in a dog than this killer. My greyhounds eat out of their bowls on the floor.

Elaine @ DM Greyhounds

http://www.dmgreyhounds.net

Edited by Elaine

My guys eat from bowls on the floor. Water bowls are on the floor, too. Every once in a while, Sam gets down in his "Sphinx" pose to eat. My guys eat fast, but don't get gassy.

Sam's been eating from not-raised bowls for nearly 7 years; Jacey, for more than 3 years.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Greytluv

How scary. I've never dealt with bloat and don't ever want to. It's hard to know what to do.

Edited by Greytluv

We use raised, but I was recently reading in a greyhound magazine that they actually DO increase the risk of bloat.

More correctly, the only study data on the subject has shown that raised feeders are associated with a higher incidence of bloat in dogs that have been under study. However, greyhounds were not included in the study- other large- and giant-breed dogs were studied.

Risk was 2.17 (117% higher) in the large breed dogs fed from raised feeders, and 1.99 (99% higher) in the giant breed dogs. (Non-dietary risk factors for gastric dilatation-volvulus in large and giant breed dogs. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 2000;217(10):1492-9.)

Exercise restriction: 1.62 in the large breed dogs NOT exercised before and after feeding, and 0.94 (slightly lower) in the giant breed dogs.

Water restriction: 2.31 in large breed dogs where water was withheld before and after feeding, 2.02 in the giant breed dogs.

Dry food: moistened dry food was 2.80 times the risk in large breed dogs, and 0.96 in the giant breed dogs.

With many of these risks come the behavior of those superstitious of such actions, i.e.: if you have a dog whose breeder tells you there is a risk of bloat, you'll probably feed them from raised feeders, restrict exercise, withhold water, and wet their dry food. That could be responsible for much of the differences seen in the study. Or, heck- maybe those things actually do raise risk. It's tough to tell from an epidemiological study.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest RocketDog

When we fed kibble we did have a raised feeder, but now we feed raw and don't use the feeder. The dogs are given their portion and allowed to eat it wherever they want (we feed in the yard) and when we feed ground/squidgy stuff it's offered out of tubs placed in the grass. Their water tower is placed directly on the floor.

My soulmate Slim was being fed from one at the direction of a vet due to a neck problem. I knew about the greatly increased risk of bloat but trusted that the vet had weighed all the factors and made the correct decision. :headbang I was wrong. :weep He died agonizingly after 2 coded revivals and surgery for GDV involving the spleen which resulted in DIC. He was only six years old. :sad1 I cannot justify their use after this. I will not have to suffer from the guilt of it happening again to one of my beloved houndies when I obviously should know better after losing my heartdog Slim to it. So they're out of the question for me. :sad1

Guest lanielovesgreys
Raised feeder and water here. There is data both for raised feeders and against them. It's a personal choice as to what works best for your dogs.

I agree with this. Sol will sometimes drink out of a bowl on the ground at the dog park. He has to reach and his legs shake. I do it simply because it's more comfortable for him. I do, however, watch both dogs very closely for bloat.

We use raised feeders too. When they try to drink from the Lab's water bowl (not raised) it looks so uncomfortable for them.

Edited by mom2four

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.