Jamey Update 1 Day Post Amputation

We called the vet this morning to see how Jamey had fared through the night. They had increased his IV pain medication, but had already begun to decrease it this morning, to eventually switch him over to oral pain medication.

We went to see him at 2 PM (about 24 hour post surgery). By that time we were told that he had gotten up by himself, he had gone outside to potty a couple of times already (about 300 feet round trip). When we came he was resting comfortably on his surgery side. He was not panting heavily like he was doing last night. He was OK in everything, but he had not eaten any of the canned food they had there for him. We told them that we'd come to see him again tonight and bring some of his own kibble.

So at 8:30 PM we went to see him again, and, oh boy, he was looking even much better than he was this afternoon. They are decreased his pain meds even more. It was time for him to go out to potty, so we went with the vet tech and Jamey. We know now that we have to really motor to keep up with his pace!! He looked absolutely wonderful tripodding out to the door and outside. (BTW, in the wet snow!!!! We have had miserable, cold wet, snowy weather today, temps about +4 deg C which is about 40 deg F!)) He was wanting to come home with us then already! We tried to get him to eat some more, but he didn't want any. The vet techs were going to try to give him a bit after we had left. They are so impressed at his rate of recovery that more than likely he will be coming home tomorrow (Saturday). We need to call to find out what time. We need to get everything ready for him, but we know exactly what we're going to do to keep the other dogs away from him. We'll keep you updated.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Good boy Jamey :)

Snow :huh

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Sounds like he is doing really well!

Where on earth are you with snow?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That sounds like a good update. When Marvin had his amputation we were lucky we could block off the living room and we could take him out the front door to go potty and there were only two steps off of the porch. We had a baby gate attached (the kind you hook into eyelets) between rooms. He could see the rest of the doggies and they could see him. He didn't like being separated though.

I hope Jamey has a very speedy recovery :)

Nancy with Rocket, Umeko and Sasha

gallery_151_3099_2018.jpg

Missing Albi, Kassie, Ramm, Ruby, my good boy Marvin and Mickey (BT)

NANCY B'S COLLARS

Awwww....Kiss the brave and handsome little man for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Excellent progress. Hoping he does get to come home today. Hoping also that your weather improves. Ours has been up and down here, but we are finally in the higher teens this week by the afternoons.

Continued prayers for an uneventful healing.

You can't get PM's yet, so could you send me an email to hopeforhoundsATcasualblingDOTcom (replace the words with the sympbols) I have some info for you.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

A wonderful update. :banana Continued prayers and light for Jamie's healing process. Hope he can come home today. Do you have an ex-pen to set up, or can you borrow one from somebody? It's a great way to create safe space for him. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. We have had two good nights' sleep so hopefully we're set to go. We are going to set up an ex-pen in one corner of the living room, so he can see everything. We bought some cheap quilts so that he can have super comfortable, washable bedding for now. He is such a Daddy's boy, that he was following Michael around EVERYWHERE in the last weeks. We think that he knew something was up. (Probably our stress over him!) So we need to confine him for a bit, and keep the others away from him too. Michael and I are going to take turns sleeping on the couch in the living room. So we'll get one good night's sleep every two days.

We live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and YES it is snowing right now. There are a couple of inches on the ground. It is not normal, but we have had snow in every month of the year here. I just heard that some places in other areas of the province have broken 100 year old records with their cold temperatures overnight. If someone can tell me how to put Calgary in my avatar area, I'd do that.

A couple of questions if I may. We have a bungalow, so stairs are not an issue EXCEPT for the 3 stairs that lead to outside. Any suggestions how to get Jamey up and especially down them for the fist bit??? And to get him into the back of the SUV. I've seen those ramps, are they any good? They look so skinny to me! Jamey is a small boy and he is light enough (about 67 lb, now probably less) that we can lift him in.

Thanks, and we'll continue to give updates on Jamey!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

I missed the start of this story. Is it a front or rear amputation? Maybe you can use a towel under the mid-section and held above to help stabilize him on the stairs 'til he gets comfortable doing it on his own.

As for getting in and out, short of lifting him completely, maybe he can get a front paw or paws on the seat, then boost him up from behind the thighs? With my very small greyhound (only 43 lbs), I do a complete lift, from the side, one arm under her butt, and the other just under her chest, pushing her front legs back a little, and lift with my legs, back straight. Your dog is bigger, though. Good luck!

Next on your to-do list: Move somewhere where the weather isn't crazy cold! :lol

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

A wonderful update. :banana Continued prayers and light for Jamie's healing process. Hope he can come home today. Do you have an ex-pen to set up, or can you borrow one from somebody? It's a great way to create safe space for him. :)

great advice above. Glad to hear he is doing so well

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

I am so glad that Jamey is doing so well, and it sounds like you've got a really good plan for helping keep him comfortable while still staying sane yourselves (the every other night in the bed/sofa is a great idea!)

I don't really have a suggestion about the steps - except I bet you'll be surprised at how well Jamey manages them if he needs to. Thank you for the updates - I'm keeping Jamey and your whole family in my thoughts!

FL

If someone can tell me how to put Calgary in my avatar area, I'd do that.

A couple of questions if I may. We have a bungalow, so stairs are not an issue EXCEPT for the 3 stairs that lead to outside. Any suggestions how to get Jamey up and especially down them for the fist bit???

Thanks, and we'll continue to give updates on Jamey!

To put in your location, go to "My Controls" then "Edit Profile Info" on the left menu. There's a line for you to specify your location there. Easy... :)

For the stairs, make a homemade sling by slipping a towel under his belly for support as he climbs or descends the stairs. He probably won't need anything after a few days. :P

Edited by iluvgreys

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest MorganKonaAlex
A couple of questions if I may. We have a bungalow, so stairs are not an issue EXCEPT for the 3 stairs that lead to outside. Any suggestions how to get Jamey up and especially down them for the fist bit??? And to get him into the back of the SUV. I've seen those ramps, are they any good? They look so skinny to me! Jamey is a small boy and he is light enough (about 67 lb, now probably less) that we can lift him in.

When we picked Morgan up after his amputation we led him to the SUV and were discussing how we should lift him when he jumped in! Not recommended when you were just given instructions on keeping him quiet. Jamey will probably do just fine with 3 steps. If he does need help, I would use a towel sling to help guide him. I would lift him in and out of the SUV. My dogs hated the ramp. BTW - A leg weighs around 8-10 lbs.