Emmy Got Out Again!

Guest Spencers_Greyt

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of weeks ago I posted about Emmy getting out because the landscaper guys left the gate open ---> link.

OMG one of the guys just came over to my side window and peed on the side of my house!!!!!!!!! :angryfire:angryfire What the heck! I know they can't see me in here but still. I'm fit to be tied!

I know your under enough stress as it is and I don't mean to scare you unnecessarily but leaving the gate open so your dogs get out could be something this guy is doing on purpose. Your dogs serve as a warning to you if someone comes around your house, I imagine especially at night. Men rape woman not for the pleasure but more for having a sense of power over them. The fact that he urinated on your house outside your window almost sounds like he is trying to mark your house. I would call the lawn service company and ask them what kind of background check they do on their employees. Please be very careful.

I'm so sorry Emmy got hurt. I hope her feet heal up quickly.

Thank you - let me be more clear about my service. It's a small Hispanic company that was hired by everyone on my cul-de-sac to mow the front lawns so it's not just me using them. I'm the only one who has a backyard lawn so hence the problem. They guy who peed on my house was a kid maybe mid to late teens so I'm not too worried about him. I think this is a summer job for him and where he went is in a dark corner under a tree so no one on the street would have seen him. I'm just tired right now and have to figure out what to do on Thursdays. Either I have to be home or my Dad said he would pick her up and keep her with him during the day which is the most likely scenario.

I'd either keep her with your Dad or have them do the lawn on Saturdays's when you're home.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Guest Spencers_Greyt
Could you simply let them do your front lawn and keep the back yard padlocked, then mow the back lawn yourself?

As of right now they are only doing my front lawn and I have my gate padlocked. I'm still going to look into other yard guys. I'm getting recommendations from other people I know who also have dogs. I don't have a lawn mower nor does anyone on my street and I just don't have the money to buy one.

OMG!!! :angryfire :angryfire :angryfire

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I may have missed this, but can you close the dog door an d keep all the dogs inside on Thursdays, or when ever they do the back yard? The only time my back yard is accessible is once a month for the APS guy, and on those days, the dog door is closed so I don't have to worry. Would that be possible?

so you would have your Dad take Emmy, but you would leave the greyhound there? couldn't the same thing happen to them? I guess I'm paranoid because I would never take another chance that this could happen.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Spencers_Greyt
I may have missed this, but can you close the dog door an d keep all the dogs inside on Thursdays, or when ever they do the back yard? The only time my back yard is accessible is once a month for the APS guy, and on those days, the dog door is closed so I don't have to worry. Would that be possible?

I think I'm going to have to come home at lunch to make sure the dogs do their potty breaks and then close the dog door. They Greyhounds are very bad about peeing in the house if they don't have access to get outside. Emmy is an alarmist and always goes outside if someone is in the yard. They Greys could care less and don't go outside if they can help it.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

You know I just don't need this. I hate confrontation and here I am in tears because the yard guy won't pay Emmy's $331 vet bill. He insists it's my fault because I know they come every Thurs. and it's not their job to watch the dog. Plus he said they spent an hour trying to get her which they didn't have to do. I said yes they did have to do it because they let her out of the yard in the first place but he just doesn't see it that way. So I have already called another service that was recommended to me by a friend who also has dogs with a dog door and he's coming to give me an estimate. What I really need is a new gate but I don't have the money right now. I think I'll go get estimates on one though just in case. The yard guy won't be doing my back yard at all any more and if I can get someone else he won't be doing my front yard either! This guy does all the houses on my cul-de-sac but I'm the only one with a grass back yard. Anyway when I get a new service in place, I'm going to fire these guys and not pay my bill and since they aren't licensed or members of the BBB I'm pretty sure he won't sue me. Plus I have a sneaking suspicion that his workers are illegals so he's not going to want to press a suit on me.

Emmy is doing very much better today. She's up and about although limping quite a bit of course but she's doing her duty of protecting the house and barking her head off so I know she's feeling okay.

If anyone has any information on how to handle this I would appreciate it. It's tough being a single woman some times!

Oh and I forgot to mention it was his company that trimmed my palm trees without getting my permission first and is expecting me to pay him for that too. I'm not going to of course.

Guest BlackandBrindle

I just want to say that I hope Emmy feels better soon. Poor baby girl! :grouphug

I'll ask Roy what he'd do. He's the more level headed of the two of us. Me, I'd probably just take a baseball bat to the guy but it won't serve anyone if you go to jail. :grouphug

Guest budsmom

I say don't pay them and put it towards the vet bill, tell them that and that they're fired and call it even. You and Emmy need to put this behind you, and it could wind up costing you more to pursue this than the vet bill. I would also be sure that all your neighbors know about this, if I were a neighbor I would certainly think twice about contiuning to use these people!

Guest sheila
You know I just don't need this. I hate confrontation and here I am in tears because the yard guy won't pay Emmy's $331 vet bill. He insists it's my fault because I know they come every Thurs. and it's not their job to watch the dog. Plus he said they spent an hour trying to get her which they didn't have to do. I said yes they did have to do it because they let her out of the yard in the first place but he just doesn't see it that way. So I have already called another service that was recommended to me by a friend who also has dogs with a dog door and he's coming to give me an estimate. What I really need is a new gate but I don't have the money right now. I think I'll go get estimates on one though just in case. The yard guy won't be doing my back yard at all any more and if I can get someone else he won't be doing my front yard either! This guy does all the houses on my cul-de-sac but I'm the only one with a grass back yard. Anyway when I get a new service in place, I'm going to fire these guys and not pay my bill and since they aren't licensed or members of the BBB I'm pretty sure he won't sue me. Plus I have a sneaking suspicion that his workers are illegals so he's not going to want to press a suit on me.

Emmy is doing very much better today. She's up and about although limping quite a bit of course but she's doing her duty of protecting the house and barking her head off so I know she's feeling okay.

If anyone has any information on how to handle this I would appreciate it. It's tough being a single woman some times!

Oh and I forgot to mention it was his company that trimmed my palm trees without getting my permission first and is expecting me to pay him for that too. I'm not going to of course.

Playing devils advocate for a moment. I guess in a small way I can see the lawn guys point. If I had a crew of young kids working for me (or other transient workers) it's going to be nearly impossible for me to monitor all of them all of the time. They are going to screw up like this and things of this nature could quickly put me out of business if I paid every claim. If I was the business owner I would also feel that my responsibility was to maintain the yard duties and not the care and maintaining of a pet that had free roam of the yard. After an incident like this I would also request that all pets be contained while my employees are on the property and put a disclaimer in any contract I had with homeowners to the effect that I am not responsible for family pets that are at large on the property. I would understand that my employees were at fault to a degree, but ultimately I would think that the pet owner has a dual responsibility to take extra precautions to make sure the animals are contained while they are working. Emmy is certainly a safe dog, but I would have a problem sending my workers into a property where a dog is allowed out because what if it was another dog and that dog bit one of my employees? I would be put in a position of having to pay my employees medical bills and would likely sue the homeowner to recoup them.

If I were you I would ask him if he would settle for paying 1/2 the vet bill in the interest of good business practices.

I don't know if this is do-able for your back yard, but I will add a pic of what I did with mine to alleviate some of this kind of problem. I fenced off one portion of the back yard off of my back deck. The gates are locked at both ends and the area is laid with gravel. The dogs go out the dog door and have plenty of room to run and do their potty business and don't have access to the grassy part of the back yard.

One more thing.....nobody would have been able to pee on my house because they would have already done peed their britches by the time I got done with them! :lol

000_0185-1.jpg

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Thanks all & yes I can see the devil's advocate's side of the coin. This is what I am doing.

I got a recommendation for another guy that is used by 2 people at work who have dogs and who are working during the day. The guy came right over and I liked him immediately. He is the only one doing the work so he understands the situation. I feel better using him! I will fire the other guys on Monday and just not pay their bill. If there's a problem with that then I will seek small claims court so I think it will be done. His bill is $200 so I think that's a fair trade off although I'm sure he won't see it that way.

This whole thing has been a freakin' nightmare and I feel guilty because I know it's partly my fault although as I said in earlier threads, I have had my lawn mown for 10 years now and it's only now that Emmy has escaped twice so I can't help but feel these guys are partly to blame.

Again thank you everyone! It always feels better to vent to those who understand!

Guest Greytluv
I say don't pay them and put it towards the vet bill, tell them that and that they're fired and call it even. You and Emmy need to put this behind you, and it could wind up costing you more to pursue this than the vet bill. I would also be sure that all your neighbors know about this, if I were a neighbor I would certainly think twice about contiuning to use these people!

I think this is good advice. Like you said you are a single woman. You don't know what they liable of doing.

I'm sorry to hear about Emmy. Hopefully she'll heal fast.

I would think buying a nothing fancy lawnmower would be a lot less expensive than hiring a lawn service to mow regularly.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

Guest LindsaySF

After these 2 incidents I wouldn't trust anyone to mow my backyard while the dogs have access. I would shut the dog door on Thursdays. Better to clean up some pee than to lose a dog for good. :(

I would think buying a nothing fancy lawnmower would be a lot less expensive than hiring a lawn service to mow regularly.

Push Reel Mowers start at $80 at Home Depot. Push Mowers with a side bag start at $120 and rear bag at $180. I would think that would be way cheaper than hiring a lawn service every week.

Guest SusanP
After these 2 incidents I wouldn't trust anyone to mow my backyard while the dogs have access. I would shut the dog door on Thursdays. Better to clean up some pee than to lose a dog for good. :(

Push Reel Mowers start at $80 at Home Depot. Push Mowers with a side bag start at $120 and rear bag at $180. I would think that would be way cheaper than hiring a lawn service every week.

I was thinking the same thing. We've cut our grass with a push reel mower for the last 15 years and love them. We leave the clippings fall back into the lawn because it's good for the lawn, so there is no bag involved. No gasoline to mess with, no pollution, no noise. And they are *not* hard to push or use. Paying someone to cut our grass would be a real extravagance for us. I can't imagine how it could be cheaper than doing it yourself, especially if you look at it long-term. A one-time price of 100 bucks or so vs how much every year for lawn service? And think of the peace of mind where your hounds are concerned. :nod

Edited by SusanP

Small claims court.

I'm so glad she is up and around, she looks so sad in that picture with all her sock/bandages.

Yes - take them to small claim court. :nod

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Guest SoulsMom

I was thinking the same thing. We've cut our grass with a push reel mower for the last 15 years and love them. We leave the clippings fall back into the lawn because it's good for the lawn, so there is no bag involved. No gasoline to mess with, no pollution, no noise. And they are *not* hard to push or use. Paying someone to cut our grass would be a real extravagance for us. I can't imagine how it could be cheaper than doing it yourself, especially if you look at it long-term. A one-time price of 100 bucks or so vs how much every year for lawn service? And think of the peace of mind where your hounds are concerned. :nod

X3 . . . I just got a reel mower for $75. It does the job with just as much time and effort, but with less pollution and noise. And I live on a double lot.

Edited by SoulsMom

In a hot climate, you might not be in to reel mowers. A self-propelled gas powered is still going to be under $300. Go cruise Home Depot or Sears.

While I think it's taking a chance to leave a dog free reign of the yard while people are in and out, workers should keep the gate closed, and they shouldn't pee on your house. I'd be sure to contact the BBB as well as the police nonemergency -- might be you could file a complaint about that last.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Spencers_Greyt
Believe me.....using a reel mower here in the summer in Arizona is setting yourself up for heat stroke! :rolleyes::lol

Don't I know it! :lol

Guest SusanP

A push reel mower takes almost no effort to push. I can run along with mine, and we cut the lawn with them when it's hot and very humid here, too. But because it's so quiet, we also have no qualms about mowing at 6 am or in the evening when it's cooler.