Our Senior Kitty Is Now A Bridge Angel

Guest FireHorse

Guest FireHorse

Poor Tarbaby. He just hasn't had a very good year, and while he recovered from every bump, he never quite regained as much as he'd lost. He had another seizure a month ago, and when I took him in, his blood work looked better than we expected, but he'd still lost a lot of weight, weight he didn't have to give up (down to six pounds from just over twelve, over the year). We started him on various meds, and started sub-q fluids every day, and I thought he was doing better. I took him in for a checkup this morning, and not only wasn't he doing better, he was doing worse. His blood pressure was down (the only good thing) but his heart rate was elevated, his liver enlarged, and he'd lost another 3/4 of a pound. They did a urine concentration and figured he was somewhere near 15% dehydrated, and probably in full-blown kidney failure. We could have hospitalized him and tried to re-hydrate him that way, but it would only have been prolonging the inevitable, and so we chose to let him go. I think he knew, and was ready; it was very peaceful, and very fast.

We got Tarbaby in Japan-he was a last-minute, on-the-sly fosterling that I wasn't supposed to have. It's a long story, but T knew who he had to suck up to, and he's been my husband's cat ever since-17 years. We never knew how old he really was, except that he was fully an adult when we got him. I stretched my kindergarten Japanese to the limit and got his exit paperwork properly stamped so he and Sumi could come home with us. (I've still got it somewhere.) His best buddy in all the world was our old Lab; I think he was disappointed that the most Luke and Jet could manage was tolerance. We always said he'd been a dog in his last life-maybe he'll be a dog in the next one, too. He got slower as he got older, but was still endlessly fascinated by crickets, and could always be counted on to eat your socks if you left them on the floor.

Sleep good, buddy. Bo's waiting for you, and Sumi and Teddy. Go ahead and have a sock, but leave the crickets alone, yeah? She won't appreciate you horking up cricket legs on the bridge.

From the first week Luke was with us:

219083224_27bfc4884c_o.gif

I'm sorry. :cry1

Godspeed Tarbaby.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm very sorry. :grouphug What a special kitteh he was. :heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I love the photo.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest how888

I love the picture! Godspeed sweet Tarbaby and chase those butterflies over the rainbow til we all meet again one day... :f_pink:f_pink

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I had a cat named Mona that loved tormenting crickets. They were the kind that didn't make any noise & I had way too many in the basement. They would come upstairs, one a night. She would disable them by removing one leg at a time. She would eat them once in a while, but would throw them up not long after. I would have to clean up a leg here & there & then the body. :rolleyes:

I hope that Tarbaby & Mona are relaxing at the bridge & leaving the crickets alone. Godspeed Tarbaby! f_yellow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

:cry1 I'm so sorry. :grouphug:f_red

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

What a sweetie. God Speed kittyboy.

I am so sorry for your loss.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Sleep well, dear kitty...

I'm so sorry for your loss...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

I am so sorry for your loss. We had a cat that loved crickets, too! He would remove one hind leg and watch the poor thing run around in circles! The amputated leg would be carefully and lovingly placed in my daughter's bed. May those memories bring you comfort. My sympathies to your husband, too.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow