Sterling Has Osteosarcoma

Guest RynnAndLyra

Just checking in on Sterling and YOU. I know it's easy to say when we're not the ones staying up all night, but you're not alone! So many of us have been on this journey. It WILL get better. I think things improve when they don't need so much heavy duty pain meds. Once they start really eating, they turn a corner.

Give your boy a gentle hug, and keep us up to date.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest RynnAndLyra

Hello,

Is it 1:00 all ready? Where does the time go?

We are still trying to get the meds right and it has been a struggle.

Rought night last night. I had the 7:00pm to 1:00 am shift. Pretty good until 11:00 pm. 1/2 tram. Needed outside - and yes had a good poo!! 11:30 was a pee break. 11:45 - I don't know what he wanted. Came back in and was stressed. 12:30 a whole tram. Got to go to bed at 1:30 am and PoPo (cat) had peed in my bed again (long story - not his little fault - adopted him way back when after some idiot declawed him horribly - I would pee in the bed too). Too tired to do anything about it - just move the covers.

He is eating better - and eating more. He does enjoy the vanilla ensure. He loves his pills wrapped in PB.

Everything is better - no more fluids leaking - eating - loves me to hand feed him - eating dog food as well as steak and noodles, rice, baby food, hot dogs, little vienna sausages, chicken - I think he is getting enough - as he has lots of small meals through the day.

I'm just so exhausted today. Mentally and physically.

Dr. Bill called yesterday (twice) and the second time confirmed Osteosarcoma - needed that detailed analysis for OSU for the chemo drugs and their study. sigh I knew it - wouldn't have amputated - but still hard to hear. Just needed to cry. AGAIN. So next step is after sutures are out - Thursday after next - off to Dr. Root for an Xray and blood test - if it hasn't spread - PLEASE - we do the chemo. Where to find the money for this??? At least I am employed with the most undersanding bosses in the world. Honestly.

A friend of mine stopped by yesterday - we work together and ride the bus together. Her name is Sharon and she is wonderful. She brought a beautiful flowering plant in a red vase (red is Sterling's color!) and three McDonalds cheeseburgers for the dogs. How sweet is that?

The older I get -the more I am amazed at how wonderful people can be - just like all of you here.

He is kinda stressed now -gets that way when he lays on the amputated side. Oh, he just put his head down - low whistle whines. Time to wash his face and hopefully get some dried blood off his tail. Got a lot off the hind leg yesterday. He is starting to groom himself. I need to check the med log - stressed look on his face.

More later - when I can. I'll be home tomorrow on vacation Mon and Tues.

Thanks everyone. So very much - it is so wonderful to come here and get encouragement when I just feel like sobbing.

Good news - new Ice Road Truckers tonight! Mostly I just read at night - boy - sure have been through a lot of books lately!

Take care everyone. Hug your hounds.

While I know this is exhausting for you Merran, it sounds like things are going well. I'm glad he is eating and doing the pooping and peeing thing. That he is starting to groom himself is a really good sign that he is starting to fell better. Take it an hour at a time. Let me know if you need anything. I have unlimtted long distance, so if you want to chat I can call. You have me email address so use that to get hold of me.

This is all so new for you both, but I think you are doing an outstanding job. :bighug

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Chiming in with an afternoon cheering session! :confetti :confetti He really does sound like he's doing well!

How neat of Sharon to bring you such thoughtful stuff! Poor you, having to go to bed in a puddle. Poor PoPo, though. :( He's come a long way, too, with your love and acceptance! So will Sterling.

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest greydogluvr

Sounds exhausting yet encouraging. We need pictures of your sweet boy when you feel it is appropriate. Thank you so much for the update. :yay

Hasn't Dr. Couto donated chemo to dogs being treated by their own vets? I think OSU has done this in the past. Please check to see if they still are. It could certainly help, moneywise.

If everything is clear, and you want to start chemo, ask Dr. Couto about starting Sterling on artemisinin too. We didn't do chemo with Winnie, so I'm not sure if it interferes at that stage, but it is worth a try, definitely.

I'd love to see a pic of Sterling too. It helps when I remember him in my prayers.

Hang in there!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest RynnAndLyra

Hello!

He had a good night!!!!! So we had a good night. He slept well and long!!!!

Yes I have contacted OSU and they will provide the chemo drugs for us free of charge. That is so wonderful. My vet is recommending a Board Certified Oncologist that is pretty close. When it is time - we will go see her.

I'm so grateful for how he is doing. He has moved himself to another bed in the den - almost like he doesn't want to be on the "sick" bed anymore - he wants a dog bed!!! I love it. He keeps looking at his couch - I know he wants up there badly. Soon - I know it will be soon.

The swelling is going down - the bruising is getting better. He almost loped back to me this morning after going for a potty break. He is for sure more active today - so far this morning - alert and watching me.

Wow - what a difference a day can make.

Next we need to figure out how and when to give the tramadol after his patch comes off tomorrow. Dr. Bill said we can take it off - we have to wear gloves to do it. That is so much better than trying to get him in the truck and up to Dr. Bill's office.

I'm home today and tomorrow - we will see after that how he is doing.

Boy - pictures - I have no clue. I'll ask Lisa when she comes home for lunch. I do have my brand new camera. Not sure I should show his amputation side - it is still awful looking.

Thanks everyone!

Guest MorganKonaAlex

If Tramadol makes him antsy, ask your Vet for a prescription for Neurotin (Gabapentin). It doesn't cause nervousness in opiate-intolerant greys.

Oh, Kris, that's good. I was hoping someone would suggest a pain med that might not make him antsy.

Merann, if you want me to post your pics, or tell you how, I can. It's not so hard!

Also, if you look around, you'll see there have been many pics of post-op dogs in all stages. If it worries you, maybe you could write a warning, then make a space down a ways before you post the pictures, so people can at least prepare themselves.

I'm SO glad things are going better!! :D

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Guest RynnAndLyra

He is having a regular doggie dream - not a drug dream. Yahoo!

I'm not worried about the Tramadol making him upset. He was on it a good full month before being diagnosed. I think it is a combination of the patch and the Tram and once the patch is removed tomorrow - we should be ok. I think. I hope. The good news is - Dr. Bill is a hop skip and a jump up the street and I can get the alternative if the Tram seems to be upsetting him.

We just went out for a PB with Rynn. Rynn went running for the backdoor. Not be be outdone - Sterls loped right behind him!!! Wow - amazing to see.

I am so thankful - really am.

Oh, it must have done your heart good to see Sterling loping after Rynn! :):)

Folks, tips on patch removal? I seem to remember that removing them can be a sticky business.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Guest Beth

We tried taking Anna's patch off yesterday and only succeeded with about 50%. The vet tech took the rest off with the magic spray they use at her checkup today. It's still going to be a day or two before all the adhesive is gone. Good luck! Just don't use anything with alcohol in it, because if the skin is the least bit raw from shaving or pulling, he'll feel it!

Glad he had a better night. Anna has tried to run twice today. That is NOT good, but it's a sign she's feeling better. We've cut back on the Tramadol considerably, so she needs less acepromazine. Now if we could only get her lower GI tract sorted out - the antibiotic is really working! Even the vet thought so! Still better that than infection.

So glad to hear that your boy is doing better each day. :) Mineral oil will take it off. ;)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest greydogluvr

Yeah. I just cannot tell you how happy I am that Sterling is doing so well. You have seen first hand what many of us have not because he came home so quickly. Isn't it just the best feeling to see him loping around. It is just amazing. I am sure this is his way of saying Thank You!!!! And I can't think of any better way.

BTW Willie had his adhesive for quite some time. I used peanut butter on it, which helped, but eventually it all came off after his first bath. I am just so happy you all had a great night. :yay:confetti:clap:bounce1:bounce:confetti

Guest RynnAndLyra

Hello!!!

He is just getting better and better!!!!! He is getting so bored in this room (so am I!). He keeps looking up the stairs and I know he wants to go up.

Ok - mineral oil and peanut butter!!! He gets his Tramadol in peanut butter - so this should be interesting!

Beth - so glad Anna is doing better - but you are right - she should not be running!!!

My boss has given me permission to work from home 1/2 days for the rest of the week!! whew is that a relief - my boss is just the absolute best!

I'm so happy - he is happy to see me and wags his tail and gives me kisses. He almost did the snappy jaws game this morning -but then the cats got to running around and distracted him. I have the fan blowing on him - supposed to be hot here today and tomorrow.

Beth - I know what you mean about trying to get them sorted out - Sterls still has runny poos - trying to get him back on his kibble and get his tummy settled. Hopefully removing the patch will help.

Thanks everyone!

:bounce :bounce :bounce

So SO glad to read this! I'm assuming you got a decent sleep last night, since you didn't mention it? Your boss is so nice to let you be so flexible right now.

That moose boy of yours will be up those stairs before you know it. And pooping rubber hot dogs. :lol You're well on your way, now! :confetti :confetti

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

These are great updates :D

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

this is great news! i found the patch almost impossible to remove, even using mineral oil. i ended up taking loca back to the vet to have it removed.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest VirginiaGreys

Lyra...having just gone through this with Dodge...all I can say is it will get better! Sounds like he's already improving. Tramadol made Dodge not want to eat much...so just make sure that the dose stays low....so he can continue eating. Dodge is eating cooked chicken and Evo (chicken flavor)...and tonight I added some Evo kibble and cottage cheese.

We didn't do the FNA...but the bone was biopsy that was removed ..and yep...ours was def. Osteo too. As much as a relief it was to hear that we didn't amputate for no reason...the reality of our pups having this horrible disease...does make one want to cry...and I've cried an ocean the last few weeks.

The two week mark is def. an eye opener...and they continue to amaze us each time they do something that they haven't done for a while...huh? I'll never take for granted a tail wag again...that's for sure!

Hang in there....sound like it's getting better!