Sterling Has Osteosarcoma

Guest RynnAndLyra

Guest RynnAndLyra

Oh EmbersDad,

I remember reading about your girl and how you sadly lost her. I will check her out on YouTube at home (blocked here at work). I'm so sorry for your loss. The Mickey d's sounds like a great idea for after chemo. My Sterls LOVES food.

I have two Greyhounds now at the bridge - one, Tant, I had to make the decision to send there as he was dying from cancer of the spleen. Britta, after splaying on the Pergo, developed a blood clot that went to her heart and killed her right in front of me at 11:30 at night. I thought it would be easier if I didn't have to make the decision to send her to the bridge. It wasn't any easier. Any time we lose them - it is awful.

I'm hoping Rynn and Lyra will be gentle with Sterling after surgery. Lyra loves to torment him by stealing his rawhides. She will whine until he gets up and leaves his couch - then she takes them. It is a game they play together!

I'm hoping for a quick recovery.

MorganKonaAlex - I'm so sorry for the loss of both Morgan and Alex. I'm scared too - that once we do this - it will have already thrown to the lungs and it just didn't show up on the x ray.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow! Fast and fabulous responses from OSU already!! That's great!

Y'know, we've already talked about this, but your boy IS such a big strong fella that if anyone has the sheer internal strength, he does. Plus, as you've mentioned, he's already learned to be a tripod pretty much, so he'll just be free of that painful weight, soon. :nod:

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Sending lots of wishes for an uneventful surgery and speedy recovery.

Sending lots of wishes for an uneventful surgery and speedy recovery.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

:goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest greymama002

:hope for your sweet Sterling that all goes well with his surgery and recovery. He sounds full of strength and determination to live life to the fullest. :bighug

Lots of good thoughts being sent from here. Darcy in particular sends Sterling a hop and a three paws up (19 months and 11 days post amp for osteo) :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest MorganKonaAlex
MorganKonaAlex - I'm so sorry for the loss of both Morgan and Alex. I'm scared too - that once we do this - it will have already thrown to the lungs and it just didn't show up on the x ray.

That's a possibility. Unfortunately, there is just no way to know. You give them a chance and hope the cancer hasn't spread.

Kris

Guest RynnAndLyra

Thank you everyone. I actually wish it was today. He is really having a hard time getting around with the leg as of yesterday. This morning he didn't even come upstairs for treat-e-treats. I had to take them to him in the den. That just never happens.

I'm working from home tomorrow and am so lucky that my vet is 1/2 block from my house. So as soon as he is ready to do the surgery - I will drive him the short drive up to Dr. Bill's office.

Thinking of you and Sterling and sending all manners of healing thoughts your way. :goodluck

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Merann, will be praying non-stop for you and that handsome hunk Sterling. Oh, and Dr. Couto says that greyhounds are born with three legs and a spare. Use the OSU resource as much as you can; they are wonderful there! Angels, I tell you! They are angels! GT ain't too shabby either. You will have tons of support and prayers like you wouldn't believe. It's such a comfort knowing that there is always someone willing to listen to you and understands exactly what you are going through.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest EmbersDad
Merann, will be praying non-stop for you and that handsome hunk Sterling. Oh, and Dr. Couto says that greyhounds are born with three legs and a spare. Use the OSU resource as much as you can; they are wonderful there! Angels, I tell you! They are angels! GT ain't too shabby either. You will have tons of support and prayers like you wouldn't believe. It's such a comfort knowing that there is always someone willing to listen to you and understands exactly what you are going through.

i agree. OSU was there for us when ember got osteo, and the best people on the planet, this board, was there for me when ember passed. i live alone and had nobody to share my grief with so i dumped it all out here for everyone to see and everyone rallied behind me and helped me thru. i love them all and will never forget what they did for me :-)

Merann sending out some extra hugs for you tonight. I know this has to be hard, knowing Sterling's surgery is tomorrow. Prayers and positive healing vibes for your boy.

Remember, one day at a time.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest RynnAndLyra

I think the waiting is the worst. My dog is hungry. It is now 11:00 am and Dr. Bill still has not called for him.

Just went to the drug store to pick up the Aminocaproic Acid that OSU recommended to help with bleeding. He gets one tablet every 8 hours for 5 days. So that means 3:00 am pill times!!!

I took the handwritten script I just got from Dr. Bill for the Fentanyl Patch. They wouldn't give it to me - geeze. So now I have to go back and pick it up later.

Sterls has been so affectionate this morning - giving me lots of kisses. I know he wonders where his breakfast and now lunch is!!!

This is just the longest day of my life!!