Sterling Has Osteosarcoma

Guest RynnAndLyra

Guest RynnAndLyra

Boy that was hard to leave him. It is like a 1 minute drive from my house to Dr. Bill's and in that space of time - he was so stressed out.

Then I had to drive over to Snohomish to Pilchuck animal hospital to pick up the patch - Bartell's would only sell them to me in a box - 5 of them!!! At $50 a pop - wow. Dr. Bill instead sent me to Pilchuck.

Thank you - all of you - for your kind words. OSU has been great and so have all of you!

Going to go take the other two hounds for a walk. They have been asking all morning. Sterling was too - even though he was only using 3 legs!!!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Checking in even though I know it is too early yet.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest RynnAndLyra

Dr. Bill thinks he can come home around 4 or 5 - hoping for 4.

Cooked him some steak (probably won't be hungry - but this IS Sterling - so you never know). Off to make him a comfy bed in the den - where I will be bunking on the couch tonight.

I can't wait for the day that he can jump back up on his couch!!!

Guest RynnAndLyra

He is still in surgery. Gail said he is doing well. I didn't think it would take this long. I don't want to think about all that needs to be done - yikes.

I'm sure it will be 5:00 before he is ready to come home.

Anxiously waiting for my boy!!!!

Fingers crossed .....

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Okay, good to know. They're doing a careful job, and of course they want to get it all, and get it right, so he has the easiest healing time possible. We'll just hang on and wait some more.

:bighug :bighgu

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Let the healing begin. I hope he has a quick recovery and gives you many years.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Sending lots of healing thoughts and :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

So, is he home, now? Huh? How's he looking? Pictures?

I'm sure you're in a new kind of shock now, seeing him like this for the first time. Don't let it worry you too much. He'll get used to it, so you can too.

Personally, it's the ones with something ab-normal about them that I find the most compelling (in case you couldn't tell!) He's going to be your big baby in a whole new way, now!

Can't wait to see him!

More hugs: :grouphug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

wow, i just read this. what a journey!!! i'm looking forward to reading a positive update :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest RynnAndLyra

He is home. This is horrible. Now I know why they keep them overnight. He is crying nonstop. Crying. I don't know if it is pain - he has the patch - or if heis seeing flying purple turtles because of the patch.

Has not got up yet. In recovery at 3:30. It is now 7:00. He needs his meds at 7:00.

He has the the iv catheter in his front paw - Dr. Bill will come tomorrow if necessary.

OH GOD the crying. He can't stop. We have to keep moving him from side to side because of the blood. The sutures are weeping - now he is down on the missing leg side.

Gave him ice chips - tongue was dry as paper.

No sleep tonight for us. He just seems to need to cry.

Xan - no pictures - it is awful.

Oh now we have to give him his pills. He has to have the one for the anti bleeding now. One every 8 hours - can't miss. Next one is 3:00 am. Can he even swallow??? Ok one pill down. 25000 to go.

I know this is major surgery. I know. I'm just a horrible nurse. I cry when he cries. And he is crying - that is the worst.

Oh YES - he took an ice cube himself!!!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

It is gut-wrenching to hear them cry, I know. He is going to make a lot of noises of pain or fear or those purple turtles. Some now, some from time to time over the next few weeks. For awhile you'll have to ignore your ears and watch his body for how he's doing.

Sending hugs and prayers of strength for you and your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I can only imagine how hard it is to bring a tripod home on the first day. You will get through this. Cry if you need to, Sterling won't remember anyway. Just keep feeding the ice , being there and getting those all important meds into him.

A thought I wonder if you lay down along his back, kind of spooning him loosely, just put your arm around him and breath. He may take comfort in the closeness and your smell. I've done that with kids who have been through surgery and have been sounding a lot like Sterling. It helped them calm through their drug induced haze and sleep. That way you both might get some rest. Just make sure you have an alarm for that all important 3:00 am pill.

Hang in, there are others on here with lots more experience who may have some good ideas.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Remember that valium? he may need it, you will to, but you can't- you need to stay focused and wake up for him.

Keep the pain meds coming, see if you can give him 10 mg of valium. You can give up to 20 mg in a 24 hour period, but give 10 at a time. Polli did not have a patch so I don' know the protocol with that.

You and your boy are in my prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

My boy had the patch and I didn't have to give him any other meds for pain but I picked him up on the afternoon of the third day -- not the first day. I was supposed to pick him up the second day but that morning his temperature spiked to greater than 105 and they had to keep him another day.

The patch is pretty powerful - before giving anything else for pain check with the doctor.

you'll both get through this - take it an hour at a time ....

Oh, Merann! I know your soft heart is just breaking to hear him cry! Listen to the voices of experience here! How valuable that all is!

Those of you who've walked this hard path, would Rescue Remedy and/or traumeel and/or arnica be of use here? As helpers to the rest of the support and meds?

Merann, you CALL me if you need to!! I'm not going to bother you, so you pick a time. I know you have your hands and heart full.

So many hugs for you all!!!

:grouphug :grouphug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Just got off the phone with Merann. Sterling is crying still, but Merann says he's a little better. He's had a few bites of food, but he's in no way ready to get up to go potty. It's going to be a long night. I hope they all manage to get some rest.

:bighug :bighug :bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg