Sterling Has Osteosarcoma

Guest RynnAndLyra

Guest RynnAndLyra

Hello,

First post I have ever done on GT and it would have to be this.

My Sterling, 6 and 1/2 year old cow doggie has been diagnosed with Osteosarcoma in his right hind leg. We got the diagnosis on Friday and Saturday had him in for xrays of the lungs. The lungs appear clear - so we have decided to amputate. The amputation is on Thursday. I am taking Friday off to be home with him and play next week by ear.

I can't believe my beautiful boy will lose that beautiful leg.

I have had Greyhounds for years and years - this is the first time I have gone through this. I'm scared to death - scared for him.

What pain medication do they put them on after the surgery? I don't want him to be in pain. What about chemo?? What are the side effects??? Is it worth it to put them through it???

He is a big Greyhound - he weighs 98 lbs. And he isn't fat at all - just a moose. I think I can make a sling to help him out for potty breaks. He is my clown - my permanent puppy. He adopted me when he was 2 and has been a joy ever since.

I have been blindsided by this. Just went through a neck injury with Lyra. I really thought it would be her as she is eleven going on twelve. Not my puppy. I guess I'm just in shock and grieving.

Any advice you could give me - would be so very appreciated. Thank you.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sorry you are having to travel this journey. There are many who have been down this road before. Have you been in touch with OSU? You don't have enough posts for me to PM you, but if you want to email me I can give you some further information. jshafferATcasualblingDOTcom just removed the words and put the symbols in.

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest TheUnrulyHound

I have not been thru this but I will keep Sterling in my thoughts... :candle I am so sorry :(

I do know that they adapt pretty well to having a leg removed

Hugs to your sweet boy

I lost my boy Argos to osteo last year. We did not amputate because it was in his front shoulder. Had it been in his back leg, we may have chosen amputation. I think they will send him home with a fentanyl patch and some oral meds. Rumor has it the pain from the surgery is gone quickly - within a week or two - and then it's just him getting used to moving around without that leg. It will probably be harder for you than for him. Dogs are great at making the best of any situation they find themselves in. :)

There is a yahoo chat group called Circle of Grey. Some find it helpful when going through this. I personally didn't, but you may want to at least check it out.

I will keep you and Sterling in my prayers this week! :hope:grouphug

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I am so sorry. I have just gone through this with my beautiful Polli- unfortuntately, things did not go well. We lost her at the 5 month mark.

It is most important to keep up with the pain meds and keep them medicated- even if you think he's doing greyt. They are very stoic and once they are in pain it is harder to manage it and keep them out of pain so the idea is to keep the meds coming.

Polli- after the amp was 53 pounds. She lost 7 pounds from the leg. She was on 100mg of deramaxx once a day- 100mg of tramadol every 6 hours and I needed to give her valium the first 2 days as she was so stressed- she was screaming- out of fear.

Once we got over the first 3 weeks- things were much better.

The chemo makes them not want to eat and a bit lethargic, but if you do the amp, I would highly recommend the chemo.

I would also have everything faxed to Dr. Couto for his review and suggestions.

Best of luck and I feel for both of you. It's a devatastaing and life changing disease.

Prayers for your special boy.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest fatesrelease

I just wanted to say I am sorry you are having to go through this. There are a lot of wonderful people on the forum you can talk to through this process. Sending loving thoughts.

Guest HeatherDemps

I'm sorry that you and your hound have to go through this.....

Our GH, Dempsey, was diagnosed with osteo at 11.5 in the front right leg. We chose to amputate and did do the chemo. He had no significant side effects from the chemo other than loss of appetite for a day or two after each round. We gave Pepcid AC to help and also once or twice used a prescribed med to stimulate his appetite.

Dempsey spent several days in ICU after the amputation- surgery was on a Weds afternoon and he came home Saturday afternoon. To be honest, he looked like he had been hit by a train. He came home with a pain patch that was left on for a couple of days and he was also given Tramadol several times a day. He had been on Rimadyl before the surgery but did not have that after. He was out of it from the pain patch for a bit and same with the Tramadol but we seemed to keep the pain under control. He seemed to improve very rapidly- each morning it was shocking how much better the surgery site looked. Demps was able to get around really well but I was terrified each time he did something for the first time again. He was jumping up on the bed before we could stop him- I think within a week of being home.

I would not hesitate to do surgery and chemo again if I felt it was in the best interest of my dog. Dempsey lived 7 months after his surgery and his death was unexpected and not related to the cancer. I have zero regrets about the decisions we made for him....

Keep us posted.....

Heather

Guest TBSFlame

I am sure you will get lots of good advice. I have lost 2 to os. It is a terrible thing. I am so sorry. Circle of Greys helped me a lot.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I'm so very sorry! I can't offer any advice but I know plenty others here have walked your path. Sending hugs to you and Sterling. :bighug

Guest RynnAndLyra

Robin - that brought tears to my eyes that Polli screamed in fear. I never thought of valium. Sterling is one of those hounds that when he bumps his foot on the stairs does GSOD. But this - not a word.

Heather - thank you for telling me about Dempsey. I think that is one of the hardest things - not knowing what to expect.

Burpdog - I have not read Winslow's diary - thank you for that.

Thanks to Janet - I found a lot of information on the OSU website and have emailed them for more information.

Thank you everyone - you have helped me so much.

Merann

Guest BooMooandDoo

Oh Merann!! I am so sorry! I have no experience in this, I just wanted to let you know that you guys are in my thoughts!! :grouphug

Good luck, Merann - there are LOTS who've been through the amp & chemo here so just ask any questions you can think of...

There ARE several hounds on here who are well past the year mark after their amp for OS!! Not many, but there's always that hope that yours will be one of them.

Read Winslow's diary - not only an inspiration but really funny too! (especially the poo bag in the tree story...)

And OSU, by everyone's account, is just a SUPER resource! I've heard Dr. Cuoto speak - and think he's an angel here on earth!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Merann, here you are. I'm glad you got this started. I know how much love, support and information you'll be getting, so you won't have to do this alone. Well, you wouldn't anyway, but at least you'll have lots of experienced voices to help you through.

I'm just going to keep repeating, ANYthing you need, you call me. I don't care what time of day or night. Call.

I know I have one or two pictures of Sterls on my computer, but I can't find them! If I do, I'll post them. Merann, I do know YOU have lots! Can you show the people your handsome moose of a guy, so everyone can fall madly in love with him? There is no resisting the charms of the Big Cow Boy, I'm warning you all in advance.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

I am so sorry to hear about Sterling having Osteo. I've got my fingers (and toes) crossed that all goes well with his amputation, and that he bounces back into a happy, healthy, tripod.

I'll keep him and you in my thoughts,

FL

Guest RynnAndLyra

Oh Xan - you know me - I have never posted a picture. And the cats and dogs even got me a new camera for Mother's Day!!! I'm hopeless.

Thank you Lori - it has been such a shock.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

In 1/06, my boy Morgan starting limping on a Friday night and Sunday morning his front leg broke when he landed at the base of the stairs. He was 10 1/2. The diagnosis was osteosarcoma. The choice at that stage is either euthanize or amputate. He was amputated and had 4 rounds of carboplatin. He was lethargic and had little appetite for a few days after each chemo. His biggest obstacle was an intolerance of opiate pain killers. For about a week after surgery, we thought he was in pain because he was panting and restless. We kept changing/upping his medications until I realized his worst times was when the medication should have been at the highest in his system. We stopped the opiates and he did much better. Life resumed for him. He went on walks although not as far. He went up and down stairs and was his old self. Sadly, we lost Morgan this last January, 3 years after his amputation. He was 13 1/2 and we didn't lose him to cancer. He was losing control of his hind end (LS).

My boy Alex was diagnosed with osteosarcoma in 12/06 in his hind leg. He was 8 years old. He was amputated and started chemo. We found lung mets after his 3rd chemo and had to let him go soon afterwards.

Here's a picture of Sterling. Merann, if you can email some to me, I'll post them up for you.

Sterling1.jpg

Yeah. See how good I am at that? I got it in there twice, proving I'm capable of various forms of picture insertion. :P

post-4431-1243367570_thumb.jpg

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

My stars, he is a handsome boy. Thanks for joining the Hope for Hounds Board. I'm hoping you get support and don't feel so alone in this.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest RynnAndLyra

Thank you Xan - for posting the pictures. Thank all of you for your replies and stories. It helps greatly.

I just got an email from Liliana Marin at Ohio State University/Veterinary Teaching hospital. She provided information about the Aminocaproic Acid and the dosage to be used to deal with bleeding complications. Also - they will provide me with the doxorubicin (chemo drug) free of charge. Wow. All we need to do is have my vet send Sterling's histopath report, his weight after amputation and follow up information. I also agreed to send a blood sample for a DNA study. The articles she sent me are wonderful and very helpful.

My puppy is still acting himself - playing the snappy jaws game and bounding up the stairs on three legs for a treat-e-treat.

One more day with four legs.

Guest trevdog

What a handsome boy.....hang in there. OSU is a good place to get help and information. Sending prayers and good thoughts....

Guest EmbersDad
Thank you Xan - for posting the pictures. Thank all of you for your replies and stories. It helps greatly.

I just got an email from Liliana Marin at Ohio State University/Veterinary Teaching hospital. She provided information about the Aminocaproic Acid and the dosage to be used to deal with bleeding complications. Also - they will provide me with the doxorubicin (chemo drug) free of charge. Wow. All we need to do is have my vet send Sterling's histopath report, his weight after amputation and follow up information. I also agreed to send a blood sample for a DNA study. The articles she sent me are wonderful and very helpful.

My puppy is still acting himself - playing the snappy jaws game and bounding up the stairs on three legs for a treat-e-treat.

One more day with four legs.

dont think of it like that. he will be 100% pain free after tomorrow!!!

ember was diagnosed about 2 weeks after polli. it was left front shoulder. ember was 10 and otherwise healthy. we did the amputation and she did well after. chemo days she would get vanilla ensure & mickey d's.....in about 3 days, she would go back to eating normally. sadly, like polli, i lost ember about 3 months in. we were going for our 5th chemo and she had begun to cough. xrays confirmed the worst and i released my girlie on jan 14th, 2009. i have a bunch of stuff on youtube under the username "emblemsluck". you can see her walking 2 days after surgery there. cancer is an evil beast and does what it wants, when it wants. for me, ember lives on in the eyes and likes of my very dear friends winslow and darcy deerhound. :wub: