Dodge-osteo-post Amputation

Guest VirginiaGreys

Guest VirginiaGreys

The news from the biopsy of the leg that was amputated...definitely Osteo...all the vets were right that dx it as Osteo. :( *sigh*

Update?

Dodge has been eating more and more...from my hand only. Today he stopped that...and I had to resort to using a syringe...but I just got him to eat again without the syringe just a little bit ago.

He had to get an enema yesterday morning...to get things moving since I think he was constipated and hadn't pooped any of the food that he'd eaten since Friday. That worked...but then it gave him "D" afterwards. The "D" hasn't happened today though...but I'll be watching to see what is going to happen next.

Day by Day...hopefully he'll continue to improve.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Argh. Sorry things are still rough around the edges. Sending hugs to you and your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest VirginiaGreys

I did get him some Evo today...just to try. I had to use a syringe to get him to eat it...but it was at least tasty enough for him to lick his chops and then lick the plate that I had tried to put some on...but he wouldn't eat it...but after the majority of it was gone..he licked the plate clean. That's my old Dodge coming back..he always did lick all the bowls clean after dinner or breakfast. :)

Good boy Dodge! :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Good boy, Dodge. :kiss2 Your momma's giving you GOOD food. :chow

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Good thoughts still headed your way.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Good boy, Dodge! It's ok to eat - promise! It's just as ok to eat out of Mom's hand - promise! You get to like the plates and bowls clean, too! Yum! Good boy!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Checking in on Dodge and his momma today.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest VirginiaGreys

sorry....it's not been a good week. Dodge started not eating...to the point I was having to force feed him food and then water. We're not sure...but it just well may be the tramadol...so no more tramadol for Dodge. I've requested the gabapentin...but my vet is very reluctant to dispense it...so because of that and other communication problems with my vet...today very well may be the last day with her. :( I'm very disappointed to say the least...but she doesn't want to really hear what other vets have used ...even if it worked for those greyhounds. What we've been doing isn't working with Dodge...at least not since Tuesday...so why not try something else? *sigh*

I have to go...I'm going to Mountain Hounds...I'm taking Dodge since there's no one here that can take care of him for me. Please keep us in your prayers...I just pray that we've found the problem (tramadol)...and Dodge will start eating and drinking again.

Lots and lots of prayers.

Guest VirginiaGreys

The ride here has been very bumpy this week. Dodge had gotten his appetite back over the weekend...only to get constipated...then the big "d" (leftover from the enema)...however...Dodge has a tendency to have colitis...so I didn't want that to happen. The blood work on Tuesday was looking better...and my efforts over the weekend were not in vain...but then I was told to put him back on the tramadol...and was told...2 tablets every 6 hours...okay..BUT...that's when all the progress started going down hill...and his appetite left completely (last night and this morning...I couldn't get him to eat or drink)...as well as his energy level. I didn't put two and two together...till this morning after talking to two greyhound savvy people ...well...one of them said something about tramadol could suppress the appetite and that's when I looked back at how he ate on the tramadol...or lack of eating.

So I went back into the room that Dodge was in...and just as the tech was about to give an appetite enhancer drug...I stopped her...asked to speak with the vet again...and told her what I thought. The decision was made to not give him any drugs today...for him to stay..be watched and observed...they would see how he behaved, etc....then try to entice him with food/water in the afternoon. From what I gathered...he turned his nose up at all the dog food...but then the vet sent a tech to the grocery store...and came back with roast beef slices...and guess what? He scarfed it down...his appetite was back once off the drugs (mostly the tramadol). And he also started drinking again too.

Now the question I have is....where do I buy stock into roast beef slices? Thankfully...Dodge forgave me...and ate a half can of chicken EVO tonight. :cheerleader:

Dodge is going with me to Tenn. this weekend...and then to SC for a work vacation)...so hopefully all will be fine. I'm taking the meds with me...but no more tramadol for this boy. Dodge says "THANK GOD...I couldn't stand the taste of it anyway!!!"

Ah, if the meds were the problem, hopefully he will eat other things once they're out of his system! Lots of prayers.

Guest VirginiaGreys
Ah, if the meds were the problem, hopefully he will eat other things once they're out of his system! Lots of prayers.

I think it was the tramadol...not the other stuff...but just the tramadol. He hated the tramadol too...so maybe he was trying to tell me to stop ...each time he tried his best to not swallow the tramadol? :blink:

Hoping the road will be smoother from here on. Enjoy your trip, and tell Dodge to get lots of rest but to take notes. I want to hear all about his travels.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

My tripod Morgan couldn't tolerate any opiate, including Tramadol. He would get very stressed. Gabapentin was the only pain reliever that we could use for him. I'm really surprised your Vet won't prescribe it. I've also used it combined with opiates for my other osteo boy, Alex.

Now the question I have is....where do I buy stock into roast beef slices?

The last year with Morgan, he wasn't eating well. To the point where we thought we would have to euthanize him. We find a method of handing feeding him a slice of deli roast beef and then tearing a few pieces and putting it on his kibble. It worked. We would go through about a pound of roast beef a week. For him, we just had to get him started. We got him back to a good weight this way.

Edited by MorganKonaAlex

Guest EmbersDad

have you tried vanilla ensure? its lactose free and i had very good luck with it when ember had her amputation and didnt want to eat. i mixed some with the evo and she made it vanish. i also hand fed her mickey d's hamburgers.

Man what a roller coaster ride. Lots of good healing thoughts for Dodge and enjoy your trip.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest VirginiaGreys

Dodge and I are back from Gatlinburg, TENN and SC. It was a good trip for both of us. Time for him to rest and eat some yummy food...and he got to meet Dr. Couto as well. Dr. Couto thought that Dodge looked good for 12 days post amp. Dodge was still pretty worn out when we first got to Tenn....but as the weekend continued and he started eating more and pooping...he started feeling better. He may have a corn on his back paw...so we'll be having that looked at soon too.

Dodge is eating much better...but still is has a ways to go before he's ready to eat from his dish yet. He's eating cooked chicken and EVO in the can...and tonight I mixed in the EVO kibble...and he liked that as well.

He's still having problems with his bowels...it seems that he needs help getting everything moving through his system...so Cindy (our group's foster coordinator) helped me with a cocktail of sorts...that helps get the body to work better for now.

Tonight was a biggie...he climbed the stairs to the second floor...actually flew up them pretty darn fast....and without a problem. However...we'll have to babygate the top off...so that he doesn't try to go down without me helping him or carrying him down. Going up for a tripod that doesn't have a front leg is probably easier than going down. I already know he has problems going down a few steps...so he won't be allowed to go down unassisted. This is when I really wished that we had a one floor home. The downside..was I was hoping that he'd sleep with me tonight again...but he's jumped in Paul's bed and doesn't want to get up right now. :envy: (oh well....he started whining for me...so now he's in my bed...and I need to hurry off this so I can get my pillow from my van (haven't completely unpacked yet)...and go to bed with him.

.....back to earlier today though....

Today was a day of many firsts...first day to wag his tail...and today he started perking his ears up as well...and paying more attention to when I spoke to him.

Tonight...he was eating his dinner...and Whiskers (my daughter's cat) ...came over and she was enjoying Dodge's dinner herself...as he ate as well.

0601092101a.jpg:)

Today was a greyt day all in all!

Tomorrow he gets his stitches out. He's done really well...and we haven't needed to cover them or tell him to leave them alone. They did seem to bother him...but he left them alone completely...at least...so far. LOL

Enough for today...I need to go to bed now...my cough syrup with codeine is kicking in...I ended up with a sinus infection on my way down to Tenn....and didn't realize till this morning that I could have used my cough syrup...since it was in my overnight bag. That's how bad I felt...I just was totally out of it on Friday and Saturday....if I met you and I was acting weird...this is why...I felt horrible.