Soul Is Sick Once Again

Guest SoulsMom

Any news? Has he pooped?

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greyt2love

Amber, I'm just caatching up on GT so I ddidn't know about Soul. I hope yesterday was a one time thing and he continues to do well.

Deb and the Gang

Aww Amber I hope Soul is just keeping you on your toes and is okay this time around. I wouldn't even think to offer advice since I don't know anything about IBD. But do give him hugs for me.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Re home-prepared: Might be worth asking your vet to consult with Dr. Remillard the nutritionist? IIRC MomOfSweetPotatoes has consulted with her. I think it's less costly if you go through your vet.

I too have had the experience of I/D working better than anything I can prepare at home. It's not too terribly expensive here, tho. I do find that if I add @ 25%-30% extra water to the rice when I'm cooking it, that helps a bit.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry this is happening. It seems beyond awful to have what's good for his tummy be bad for his lupus.

Pepcid and similar things (Costco's version of Zantac) help Spencer's tummy a lot, and all three vets that have dealt with Spencer recommend them. I wasn't giving it religiously until I realized how much less gurgling occurs when he takes it! So he gets it twice a day, with his meal or a few minutes beforehand.

I do recall that some kinds of medicines for acid reflux, which I used to have, significantly reduce B12 over time. Maybe that's what your vet was concerned about. I'm thinking you should flat-out ask him at this point! Meanwhile, I'll do a little internet research to refresh my memory about this and I'll get back to you.

ETA: Okay, looked it up, and B12 requires stomach acid to be used, so that's an issue if you reduce the stomach acid. I don't worry about it since Spencer is getting B12 shots. So I'd say this: 1) give Pepcid or Zantac when Soul is having troubles (i.e., gurgling, loss of appetite) because there is probably excess acid occurring then, and you won't get a lot of B12 depletion if you don't give it twice a day for a long time; and 2) a bottle of B-12 and some syringes are very cheap, and the shots are very easy to give at home, then you don't have to worry about it. And I'd say any dog with significant GI trouble, not to mention bleeding, probably is low on B-12 and could use the shots anyway. I'd be happy to coach you about the process, and your vet tech can demonstrate and supervise you until you're comfortable with it. So PM me for more info and encouragement if you like.

Spencer sends kisses to you and Soul! I do too, for that matter!

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest SoulsMom

Well, he seemed okay this afternoon and was very eager for his dinner but horked up half of it :( And still no poop . . .

Thanks Mary, I'll talk to my vet about the B-12. Janet and I have discussed it in the past, but it might be time to revisit the issue with Dr. S . . . . . . .I've saved your info into his 'diary', I really appreciate it.

Edited by SoulsMom

Sending more good thoughts for the Soul Man... :grouphug:kiss2:goodluck

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest BlackandBrindle

Hugs to you and Soul. It's never fun dealing with a chronic condition, especially involving food. :grouphug

Feel better soon Soul. :kiss2

I have no experience with IBD so all I can offer is a hug and some prayers for Soul.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

When Cofax had her intestinal infection - and we had to get her "going" again....... doc told us pumpkin. We also added baby instant oatmeal to whatever we were feeding her...... it worked. Got her back on schedule pretty quick. Now when we have our "times".... we just add pumpkin and oatmeal and it seems to settle things out. I also found dried vege mix that you let soak in hot warm then add to meals...... good fiber..... helps keep her regular.

meantime...... sending you all lots of prayers and good wishes.

Tina dogmom to Rocket and Angels Cofax (my girl) 5/9/01-7/1/10(OS), ReRun (my boy)(4/18/95-4/19/07 Heart tumor)) Dedicating my life as much as I could - to keeping the smile alive of my Lambie Pie - lost 12/04 to Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever.... & then there's the hubby - Bob

.... http://www.freewebs.com/3nofleas/ .

Guest SoulsMom

He finally pooped and it was solid and NO BLOOD!!! Whew! I'm cautiously optimistic . . . .I know I must sound like a nutjob, freaking out over tummy gurglies and no appetite :youcrazy But after going through this twice with him before I tend to get a little neurotic when he starts showing the same symptoms again. On any other dog (heck even with Archie) these symptoms would not normally be so scary . . . .but with Soul and his history I go on high alert :blush

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest BlackandBrindle

It's impossible not to worry when you know what COULD be happening. Glad that he's had a solid poop and no blood!

Here, here for good sold non-bloody poops!!!! :bounce1:clap:confetti

What did you end up feeding him tonight? I completely understand why you are on high alert, after what the two of you have been through, how could you not be?

Now, a nice glass of wine for mom!

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Oh, I just love a good poop report! Don't you! :yay

Thank doG Soul's doing ok! :hope Please, Soul man..................no more "issues". OK?

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Thank goodness!!!! What a a relief!! :yay :yay :yay

YEAH GOOD POOP!!!!!!!!!

I was hoping this thread would get more better ;) the more I read! We're all thinking about you and Soulman!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

This post is probably too little too late, but my reaction is that the missing snack is probably the reason for Soul's discomfort this morning. Once a sensitive system gets disturbed, it can easily stay that way for the day. Since he lost some of what he finally ate, I'd be inclined to give him several small meals of I/D until he seems happier. Missing a day or two of your switch to kibble isn't going to cause his system to revert to "I/D only" mode and require you to start over. The solid/blood-free poop is wonderful; I hope it stays that way.

But: if he has another morning or two like today, then I think the (specific) kibble might be the wrong choice for him. I've certainly had that happen with Minnie--poops fine, but occasional morning vomiting--and I don't like to keep her on a food that has either end upset.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)