Need Advice

Flashy's liver values are up. His ALT is 337 and GGT is 18 AST 68. I would like to start him on SamE and Milk Thistle. His current weight is 77 pounds. In the midst of everything that is going on...I really didn't need to hear this right now. He is acting fine...playing...chewing his bones...eating well...weight is stable. Thanks for any help you can give me with what I should get and the dose. :grouphug

Flashy: I towd yew KNOT two take me two da perburt dokker fer ma checup! :blush

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Patti,

We have Sadie on denamarin which is a combination of SamE and Milk thistle. You can get it online for about $52 + shipping. That is for a month's supply. The large dog pill dose is once a day.

I actually got the SamE from Costco and have milk thistle as well and I alternate which pills get given. This is a cost measure for me as she's already on other meds but I want her to have the benefit of the meds.

I'm not sure exactly what the mg's are but I'll look for you when I get home :)

No experience here what-so-ever but I know you'll hear from those who do. Just want to tell Flashman that Wayne says he misses you very much

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Patti, you can give Flashy 1000 mg. of Milk Thistle once a day, as for the Sam E I don't know. We have Saint just on the Milk Thistle and with the huge amount of meds he's on his liver values have been wonderful so I think Flashy could benefit at least from the Milk Thistle.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest greytbookert

We use 1000mg of Milk Thistle here too. It helped our Booker as he aged and the rest of pack is now on it as well with no ill effects.

Guest ss556

I gave Alan milk thistle when his liver enzymes were elevated, but I forgot the dosage. Funny thing, I was just going to start him on that again:(

Patti, is he on the same thyroid dosage he's always been on? Have his levels been checked recently? If he's getting a little over, that could affect his liver enzymes. Not sure it would affect them quite to that degree, but worth a look. Sending hugs to you and special scritchies to handsomest Flashman.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I dont kno nuthin abowt no milk thisselz or sameez butt I wunt to tell da Flahman dat him an yur famblee awr thot abowt a lot.

Lubs

Dude :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We have used Herbal Hepaclenz from www .naturalrearing.com with good results

This is a nice herbal formula that includes Milk Thistle, dandelion, parsely, nettle and various other herbs

Pam

Don't you just love Marina! I still get supplements from her for my afghan and greyhound.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Patti, is he on the same thyroid dosage he's always been on? Have his levels been checked recently? If he's getting a little over, that could affect his liver enzymes. Not sure it would affect them quite to that degree, but worth a look. Sending hugs to you and special scritchies to handsomest Flashman.

Thanks everyone. I will start him on the Milk Thistle tomorrow...would also like to start the SamE but I don't know how much to give him.

Yes Batmom...his thyroid levels were also checked on his wellness exam...we are good there and he still remains on just 0.4 mg of Soloxine twice daily. He started at 0.7 twice daily which had always been his normal dose but his levels were too high...so he went down to 0.5...still too high...0.4 is holding him right where he needs to be. Our vet also told us she carries the Denamarin but was out of it in his dose...however...it is 87.00 there and I think I could probably get it online much cheaper. :blush

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Pattie, the dosage of Sam E is 400mg 1 hour before a meal. It needs to be given on an empty stomach. For a dog with liver disease, or a dog like Flippy who's going thru chemo the dosage is 400 mg 1 hour before meal, twice a day. This dosage was from my vet for Wanda when she had hemangiosarcoma, and the oncologist recommended the same dosage for Flippy.

Flashy may need his thyroid levels checked also. Sam-E and milk thistle are good even for a healthy dog, for a dog on meds or post surgery because it helps protect the liver.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Our Sasha was just checked and she has a 321 ALT reading. My vet is concerned but not overly worroied yet. His approach is to add a little chicken liver to her meals every few days along with leafy green veggies. He'll check her values in about 3 months. If nothing changes then he will consider supplements.

Rich

Nicklaus (Okie Nicklaus) 4/1/95- 3/21/07, Alexandra (Noble Mason)7/22/99-6/27/11, Tsar (Noble Pratt)7/22/99-11/25/10, Tully (Noble Tully) 7/22/99- 11-3-06, Sunny (Primary Buddy)6/7/08-3/16/12 Sasha ( Rooftop Silvey ), Screamer (Rooftop Screamer), Gil's Chico (Chico), JD Rip Tide (Remy), Gypsy ( Gypsy Dancer), Foxy (WTD Right Right)

Greyhound Alliance: www.greyhoundalliance.org

Sunburst Project: www.sunburstproject.org

SamE is used for so many things in people and canines. You can get it through your vet or probably cheaper at a Vitamin store. I would recommend giving twice daily (if you feed twice daily) preferably an hour to 30 minutes before meal. You can safely give 5mg per pound of weight; So 385mg is perfect for your canine. I have seen drastic improvement usuing this.

Guest Energy11
Flashy's liver values are up. His ALT is 337 and GGT is 18 AST 68. I would like to start him on SamE and Milk Thistle. His current weight is 77 pounds. In the midst of everything that is going on...I really didn't need to hear this right now. He is acting fine...playing...chewing his bones...eating well...weight is stable. Thanks for any help you can give me with what I should get and the dose. :grouphug

Flashy: I towd yew KNOT two take me two da perburt dokker fer ma checup! :blush

Even though I am a retired paramedic, I don't know too much about all of this. I DO KNOW THAT BOTH SamE and Milk Thistle are good for the liver. I would probably ask Drs. Couto or Marin from Ohio State University's Greyhound Wellness Program. They are always VERY good in answering medical questions, from the largest to the smallest.

couto.1@osu.edu (Dr. Couto)

Greyhound@cvm.osu.edu (Dr. Marin). GOOD LUCK! D

Guest trevdog

Dallas is on Demarin right now too, her values are much like the Flashman's.

I know it had more antiobotics in it in addition to the milk thistle. What did the vet say? I know the Demarin is pricey and once her values are normal(hoping) I'm going to look into the sam-e and milk thistle as supplements for her so what she went through last week doesn't happen again.