Something's Wrong With Alan

Guest ss556

Guest ss556

I got home about 2 1/2 hrs. ago. Alan got up off his bed to greet me and he was walking slow, his head low, tail tucked and legs were shaking. His heart was beating fast too. I asked, What's wrong with the dog? (probably yelled) and supposedly he was fine. DH took him out but he was walking funny and didn't do any business. He had a hard time laying back down but did. He drank a lot of water but stayed on his bed for almost 2 hrs. He just got up again, that same funny walk. He knows what I'm saying and what is going on, but his body is a little funny. I gave him some vanilla ice cream and thought maybe another mild seizure. Anyone? (meanwhile I got home late after visiting my brother in the hospital b/c of having a seizure).

UPDATE: hemangiosarcoma. my baby is gone.

Edited by ss556

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could he have had a stroke? The weakness and slow moving would make me think that. And the sudden onset.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

I'm sorry - I haven't been following Alan, but has he had seizures in the past? If he is still acting strange I'd go to the vet. Better safe than sorry. Was he OK with the ice cream?

Image removed. Not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. Your image was 17.51 KB (17,929 bytes) file size.

Guest EmilyAnne

Did Alan seem to do better after the ice cream? Maybe his sugar was too low or something? Maybe he is having a little difficulty regulating his sugar?

When you say his body is a little funny, how exactly?

Tummy seem tender or OK?

Has he eaten, peed, pooped recently?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest ss556

He ate the ice cream fine, he drank water. He even took his blood pressure pills, but not in the cheese, had to give it to him in chicken. It was hard for him to walk from one room to the next. Why at night???? I'm home alone and scared. He's laying on one of his beds in my room and he's fine lying there, so I'm watching him. He's had a few mild seizures in the past, but was pretty much ok soon after. My DH will be home at 11:00 (1.5 hrs. from now).

His body is "funny" meaning he wasn't walking right and his legs seemed weak as if they had a hard time holding his body up.

My DS said he took him out twice since I got home late. I didn't notice anything wrong w/ his tummy, I'll check again.

Edited by ss556

Guest EmilyAnne

I have heard of sugar level being out of whack causing mild seizures. I'd try making sure he always gets snacks between meals, and maybe he will do better. I know when my own sugar is too low, I feel shaky and weak.

Guest greytexplorer

Susan,

how does he seem as far as heart rate, blood pressure, gum color?

Does he recognize you?

~Pat

EmilyAnne is correct. Very low blood sugar will cause seizures. Grand mal, even.

Guest ss556

He is alert and responds to me. His gums seemed normal the last I looked. His heart rate is a little fast. He has kidney disease and high blood pressure but he had his meds today. He is very thirsty though.

Guest ss556

didn't take his temp, I will attempt to. His heart is beating fast and he has the look like he did something wrong. I was pressing on his tummy and he layed on his side, I'm not sure if it hurts him or not. I never took his temp before.

Given his symptoms, I would have to go along with the low blood sugar or stroke theory. If he got better after his ice cream that would seem to me to be blood sugar related.

Also, I know in people, high blood pressure pills can make them low in potassium so that supplemements are needed. Low potassium levels can be serious but I don't know what those symptoms are off hand.

There aren't usually (I think) such hold-overs after a seizure. All the dogs I've heard about (and my own) were completely fine within 20 or 25 minutes after seizing and often much sooner.

If his gums are white, or don't come back to a nice pink color after you press on them; if his heart beat is still high and he's panting; definitely if his stomach is either hard or tender to pressure - I would take him in asap.

Good luck!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest greytexplorer

Gosh Susan, I don't know, maybe you should take him to the e-vet?

Fast heart rate over a period of time, probably not so good.

Guest ss556

Trying to reach DH - he left his cell phone home. Worst case is he will be home in about one hr. I could not handle Alan alone - he's a big boy. I'll just watch him until then. I hope this passes.

Guest greytexplorer

Susan, I'm sorry. I wish I was closer to help! :(

In the meantime, I think you're doing the right thing----keep Alan calm and relaxed. Maybe his heart rate will come down.

Keep us posted!

hugs,

~Pat

Guest lynne893

poor baby! i hope you and your family and your dogs are ok.

sending you a virtual glass of wine! (or a vallium! ;-)

Gosh, I don't have any advice, just keeping my fingers tightly crossed. :goodluck :goodluck

Please keep us posted!

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I'm not sure either Susan. If you press on his gums, does the color come right back? Is he weak on all fours or does it just seem to be the back legs?

Wish I could help!!

Did the thirst happen after the ice cream? If so, I would think that's normal

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest ss556

Thirst was before the little bit of ice cream. His gums are pink,not pale. Seems like all legs are weakish. I was pressing on his tummy and he moved, but didn't cry in pain, he never really cries out. He had a little bit of "gas" come out after that. I don't even know which EVet to go to.

Guest KyGrey

I don't have any advice but I want to let you know that I'm thinking of you and Alan. I hope this is something that will pass or is easy to figure out.

:bighug

:grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png