My Poor Ivy Has Lost...

My 12 and a half years old male 'Ivy' has had hind leg problems for quite a while due to a degerative spine problem. He has problems getting up stairs,

doesn't like to go down stairs and often falls aside when pooping. I have to help him back on his feet as he can't manage that by himself anymore. He poops while walking.

I had to carpet the kitchen as he doesn't go down the stairs of the main entrance of the house anymore.

The kitchen has a back-entrance where he can go out without using the stairs. But when we go for a walk, he

has to step down again 3 steps which he can manage at the moment.

He still jumps on my bed and into the car and he can go for little walks. I still take him to the beach.

The biggest problem is that he has lost poop control. I have to watch him all day long to just take him out quickly when

it seems that he can't hold it. In the morning first thing I jump out of the bed and take him directly to the garden.

Sometimes I'm lucky, sometimes he has lost the poop on the carpet already. It's really hard above all for

my husband who is not a dog person. Nevertheless Ivy has a good appetite and seems to be happy.

BUT I cannot leave him more than 3 hours alone and my life is totally focussed on his needs.

Somebody is in that situation?

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

I am in the same situation. Brandi will be eating and a poop falls out. She is standing in the living room and a poop falls out. She is 8. Had her to the holistic vet and had x-rays. They don't know why. Hopefully someone will post something that can help us both.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I can totally relate and know what you're going through! Spencer has hind end weakness since Oct. I had to belly band him because he was incontinent and sometimes he would lose poop control too. I would get up during the night to make sure he could get outside. I came home every day at lunch to let him out. I do NOT let him jump up on my bed or in the car as that will just make the back issues worse. Right now Spencer is in control of his bladder but not always with the poop. It's like he just can't feel when he needs to go. Hang in there. I know it's tough and I don't have any advice except just love on them while you have them!

Marion, I know others with more experience will answer. My mom's whippet had some of those difficulties during his last several months (he was very frail all over).

For the unexpected poop/pee, we put down several waterproof, rubber-backed rugs @ 3' x 5' that are made for door mats. If we didn't make it outside in time, we could take these rugs outside and hose them off and let them dry in the sun; we had a few extras for when some were outside drying.

We also adjusted his food a little bit to provide more calories and less bulk/fiber, which helped because he didn't have to go as much. I think you already feed mostly meat so there might not be any adjustment you can make there.

We used a harness for him so it was easier to hold him when he was wobbly and trying to poop or lift his leg or go down 1-2 stairs. I lifted him in and out of the car even though he would have tried to jump -- he weighed a lot less than your Ivy, tho.

Sending hugs and scritchies for you and your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest kelli123

I am also going through this. With my 14yr old girl,she has lost control and most of the time its so soft almost like diarreha. So she farts and poops then its all over her. I sleep in the living room with her and have been washing her up 2 to 3 times a night. I have a blanket she lays on and just wash the blankets and mop the floors every day some times 2-3-4 what ever it may be a day. Thank GOODNESS i dont have carpet. I have put her on people Acidophilus 3 days ago and the gas has cut down and seems to control the pooping some. Keeping my fingers crosses. Acidophilus. Is live cultures same as what is in yogurt but a higher consentrated dose. Helps with digestion and keeps the natural flora in the body. Good luck with your baby.

Thanks for your replies! Normally in the house he looses the first one or two still harder stools. But when we walk then

he'll loose sometimes till 15 little soft poops. Ivy gets kibble with home made food. The day he gets only home made

(turkey with rice) he poops less.

When it's rainy he has a harder time to walk. He hates rain.

My washing machine is really wonderful as most of the laundry consists of blankets and beds of Ivy. The machine

is already 18 years old.

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

My Robyn was incontinent of poop due to lumbosacral stenosis. Robbie was completely unaware of it and just kept on doing what she was doing. :) This happened primarily when she was sleeping but occasionally when she was walking.

Do you have access to "incontinence pads"? These are used on beds for people who are incontinent. They have quilted absorbent fabric on one side, and waterproof lining on the other side to keep the bed dry. You can put these pads on Ivy's bed, and also on the floor where he walks, and instead of having to constantly wash blankets and beds, you just wash and change the pads. SO much easier!!!

If you go to Valethics website and click on "used pads", you'll see what I mean. If you can't get these in Europe, I'd be more than happy to help get them to you from the US.

Hugs to sweet Ivy

Jordan

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest FullMetalFrank

I have no advice, but I am sending gentle hugs and some prayers for sweet Ivy. It makes me wish that they never would grow old....

Guest IrskasMom

First of all ...... Marion it's wonderful to see you again here posting :) Sad it is about Ivy's Health Problems. I really have

no Advice (No Experience with that ) . Sending you lots of :grouphug:hope:grouphug:hope:grouphug Hugs and Prayers

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest vahoundlover
My Robyn was incontinent of poop due to lumbosacral stenosis. Robbie was completely unaware of it and just kept on doing what she was doing. :) This happened primarily when she was sleeping but occasionally when she was walking.

Do you have access to "incontinence pads"? These are used on beds for people who are incontinent. They have quilted absorbent fabric on one side, and waterproof lining on the other side to keep the bed dry. You can put these pads on Ivy's bed, and also on the floor where he walks, and instead of having to constantly wash blankets and beds, you just wash and change the pads. SO much easier!!!

If you go to Valethics website and click on "used pads", you'll see what I mean. If you can't get these in Europe, I'd be more than happy to help get them to you from the US.

Hugs to sweet Ivy

Jordan

This is what we used for Boss. Boss also wore a assistance harness 24/7 so we could help him up and down stairs and keep him from falling when he pottied.

I know how hard it is to watch your babies grow old :(:grouphug

Our Hobbes (who was 13 at the time) had a similar problem and had spinal problems. We put those adult incontinence pads on his bed with a soft towel over it to protect his bed - easy to pull up and wash & dry when it was soiled. I bought a supply of them and large towels just for this purpose so I had a clean supply at all times. We used the washable rugs in our kitchen when he couldn't make it out the door on time for easier cleanup. I also took him out at 3:00 in the morning because he couldn't make it all night as well as made sure he was able to go in the yard every 3 hours.

He was such a happy camper until he passed away. It is a hard schedule but we love them so much it's worth the effort.

Best wishes to you and Ivy.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest wmlcml6

Marion, I'm sorry to hear Ivy is having problems.

Anne just bought a harness from Gods Greyts for her Big Ray when we at Sandy Paws. I will email the woman she bought it from to see if she has info on the web about it. It might help with getting Ivy up and down stairs.

Thinking of you....

Guest PhillyPups

Oh Marion :bighug

I so know what you are feeling. I went through this with my beloved Stepper at 13-1/2 years old. Sadly, he did not get better. I had to always think of Stepper's dignity and his grace, not of my pain. :bighug to you my friend.

Although we aren't having the same issues, I can relate about now being able to leave for more than 3 hours. When Beau was on higher doses of pred, 3 hours was the majic number and that meant in the middle of the night as well. We have lowered the pred and we are on a 5 hour basis now.

I'm sorry your DH is not more supportive. What are the medication options? Keep in mind if you do use pred, he will have to urinate more frequently.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Marion, I'm sorry to hear that Ivy is losing bowel control. I went through that with Phoenix who was just plain old (lived to 16). She did best in an expanded ex-pen with the tile floor completely covered with cloth potty pads over her dog bed. Lots of loads of laundry, but doable. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I went thru this with my Rascal after a bout with FCE. The best thing I found was I fed him a raw diet. I have not been willing to do it for my other dogs but with him it helped so much. Fewer poops and less of it. I bought a prepared raw food from Steve's Real Food. I am not sure if that is a possibility for you but it keep him regular and less of it.

Hugs to you...it is so hard....especially with another person living there. I am single so I didn't have that other person.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

I haven't had that problem with my greys but BOTH my Great Danes went through it as they aged. It was like having two extra people in the house pooping on the floor all the time. There was nothing to do for them as it was mostly old age and nerve degeneration.

We bought lots of old rubber backed rugs, and towels, and incontinence pads, and were constantly washing and cleaning. It is a big chore.

Good luck! I hope someone has some answers for you.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I just checked in and I'm again overwhelmed by your so kind and supportive replies!

I know that home made or raw diets help reduce stool volume and I give him often home cooked.

He loves eating and gets all excited when it's breakfast and evening meal time.

I still take him to his beloved beach twice per week and he walks about 30 minutes perfectly. Then he gets tired and I put him in

the car with a piece of hard bread where he waits resting while I play 30 minutes more with sweet Soldi.

I'm still reluctant to give him the Pred as it's kind of the beginning of the end. My GSD was on Pred and he was 'fine'

for 7 weeks then his decline went very quickly...

Thanks for all your replies!

Marion

Marion, Ivy & Soldi