Cora Needs Your Help

Guest BoogieDown

Cora, you are a good girl, chatting up the staff like that. I'm sure you were just telling them how bored you are, and that you are ready to go home. Continued good thoughts are being sent out to all of you.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whew! So glad to be getting these good updates! Sounds like the girl is getting ready for home! Hugs to Cora, you and the rest of the pack (I'm sure they notice something is amiss)

Edited by maximum

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Guest Pipi5

Hey, this sounds like excerpts from my diary when I fell in December! Cora you little stinker, you're just trying to be like your aunt Heehoo!

Gosh all that surgery talk brought back memories. If she needs a good physical therapy group, let me know, I'm still going to them & if I send a referral, I might get a discount on my next surgery! he he he

Seriously, I am so glad she's doing good. :beatheart

Many kisses :kiss2 and biskies :dogcookie for Cora!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

She's doing so well, that's great, and I'm so glad that you are keeping us updated, thank you.

We'll be anxious to hear when she's coming home. Please give her a hug from us

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

glad to hear she's doing so well! :yay :yay :yay:)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I saw her! Took her for a walk. :colgate

Pics and report later today (late afternoon/early evening). Right now the others need a walk. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

A WALK????! Wow! Scritchies from me next time you see her. Glad she is doing so well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

This morning I spoke to the senior vet, who said that he was very pleased with Cora's progress. I asked if I could visit, making it clear that I would not if he thought that it might upset her; he indicated that he does not mind clients visiting their pets, and that he thought we could give it a try.

I went over at about 11:30, and he asked one of the vet techs (Nancy) to take me to see Cora and go with us for a walk. When I got to the door of the little room containing the "runs" (cinder block enclosures roughly 2 1/2' wide X 5' long with ceilings close to 8'), Cora's head snapped up. She got to her feet (!), and started wagging her tail. Her tail kept going for almost a minute. I talked to her for a bit, then we took her out. I had the leash and Nancy held the sling. When we got to the stairs, Nancy carried her; Cora wagged her tail for that too. Once she was outside, Cora walked across the parking lot with barely a limp. Nancy held the sling so that she could catch her, but she was not supporting her. We got to the grassy area, and Cora had a pee; Nancy did support her for that. Then Cora headed off down the side of the lot, stopping for a poop. We continued around (it's a small lot--perhaps 8 spaces long with cars on either side of the central drive) until we got back near the building. Cora stopped to sniff. We noticed that she was shivering and decided that she was cold; we agreed that I'd take over a coat (the temp was just below freezing).

We took her back in, and I sat on the floor with her while Nancy applied cold packs to the swelling, and massaged the leg to move the fluid up. She also washed off both legs--there is so much swelling that blood-tinged lymphatic fluid is weeping out of the tissue. After Nancy finished the treatment, I sat with Cora for a while longer. Then I got up to get my camera to take some pics, and Cora got back to her feet. Since we didn't want her wandering and slipping on the tile floor, I thought we should put her back in her run. Just before we closed the gate on her run, I asked if I could give her a treat, and, as Nancy said "Yes", Cora was licking her chops.

I spoke to Nancy again at 5, and she said that Cora had been quiet after my visit (which had lasted about an hour), and had had a nap. So the visit clearly did not upset her, and I can go back tomorrow. :) Cora had also eaten about 3/4 of her dinner, and had another walk--she'd even trotted a couple of times, going around the lot twice.

Anyway, here are some pics. The first several are of the x-rays.

The "before", from an x-ray taken in Nov 07 when she injured her right hip. The x-rays were clear, so the conclusion was that she had a nasty soft-tissue injury deep within the joint. The now-broken left leg is on the right:

CBrokenLeg01.jpg

A similar view, showing the broken bone:

CBrokenLeg02.jpg

Another similar view, but with her leg drawn up:

CBrokenLeg03.jpg

A closeup of the same x-ray, showing the break on an angle, and the bone shards above:

CBrokenLeg04.jpg

An x-ray taken when she was lying on her side:

CBrokenLeg05.jpg

A closeup of that x-ray:

CBrokenLeg06.jpg

Back to the original lengthwise view, showing the hardware. The three circles are the wires; the two screws that seem to go nowhere are the lag screws holding the big shards in place; and the rectangle is the plate held in place by eight screws:

CBrokenLeg07.jpg

The repair seen from the other side. The wires, lag screws, and plate are visible, but the screws holding the plate are not:

CBrokenLeg08.jpg

The next two pics are of her actual leg. They're not that bad, but I'll leave some space so you can avoid them if you wish. There are two more pics of her face after the two of the leg.

The incision. It starts in the orange rectangle above the strap from the sling:

CBrokenLeg09.jpg

The inside of her leg, showing the pooled blood and swelling. Note how big her foot is:

CBrokenLeg10.jpg

The patient patient posing. That's the Fentanyl patch on her side:

CBrokenLeg11.jpg

The patient says, "OK, enough pictures." And yes, that is a Mercedes SUV in the background. Guess who drives it?

CBrokenLeg12.jpg

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest DorasMom

Wow!! She looks greyt!

I'll take three guesses as to who the Mercedes belongs to and the first two dodn't count, lol. Has to be the vet and I bet you just made qiute a few payments on it!!

Guest vahoundlover

Not only walking but T R O T T I N G :confetti That's one long incision but it looks pretty good! Poor baby girl has a swollen leg with lots of hardware and yet she still looks beautiful as always :wub: Keep up the good work, Cora :kiss2

Awwww....sweet baby girl! You are so brave! I bet it won't be long before you are home. :wub::grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest greytkidsmom

That is a beautiful repair.

Glad to hear that it works as good as it looks.

It sounds like Cora is getting lots of TLC.

Hope she gets home to you soon.

Guest LoveMyJoseyBean

Sweet girl! I am so happy that she's progressing well. When I was kid we had a German Shepherd that broke her leg in the same place. One of our toys fell off our beds in the middle of the night onto our hardwood floors and she jumped up to be our watch dog, and her back leg snapped when she slipped on bathroom tile. We had another 5 years with our girl Hildy after the same surgery.

Wow! She looks fabulous! That foot doesn't look bad at all considering how much trauma the leg went through! Believe me, it could have been twice that size! Trotting? Are you kidding me? Hey, kick in another payment on that Mercedes 'cause with an operation like that and her recovery so far, that surgeon is worth it! You go Cora, honey!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead